Like/Tweet/+1
Latest topics
» Rainbows in European Mythology
by Neon Knight Today at 14:47

» What is your religion or phylosophical moral code?
by Sary Yesterday at 23:14

» Now listening to . . .
by Neon Knight Fri 12 Apr - 23:47

» Brexit Saga Update
by Neon Knight Fri 12 Apr - 22:53

» UK Migration Issues
by Neon Knight Thu 11 Apr - 20:56

» What do the Irish think of the English?
by Neon Knight Tue 9 Apr - 23:40

» UK: 'feral kids overrun drug-ridden jails'
by OsricPearl Mon 8 Apr - 3:46

» Old Film Trailers (to 2009)
by Sary Sun 7 Apr - 23:26

» Rise of Nationalist Parties in Europe
by Neon Knight Sat 6 Apr - 12:24

» Science Knowledge Quiz
by Sary Wed 3 Apr - 1:01

» Germany's AfD Party
by Neon Knight Tue 2 Apr - 17:13

» Animals - News & General
by OsricPearl Mon 1 Apr - 3:18

» 24 genes linked to wealth
by OsricPearl Fri 29 Mar - 16:14

» Mexican President Demands Reparations
by OsricPearl Thu 28 Mar - 2:22

» New Genetic Study of Iberians
by OsricPearl Tue 26 Mar - 15:31

» The Marrakesh Migration Declaration / Pact
by Neon Knight Mon 18 Mar - 21:28

» Personality traits linked to political orientation
by Neon Knight Sun 17 Mar - 23:42

» Christchurch Massacre - Right Wing Extremism
by OsricPearl Sat 16 Mar - 18:41

» Favourite Film Scenes
by Neon Knight Sat 16 Mar - 3:03

» Political Systems
by OsricPearl Mon 11 Mar - 2:57

» Monty Python Scenes & Sketches
by Neon Knight Sat 9 Mar - 21:15

» Why the paranormal is probably real
by Sary Sat 9 Mar - 15:42

» Classic TV Adverts
by Neon Knight Fri 1 Mar - 22:38

» My strange Phenotype
by Neon Knight Fri 1 Mar - 0:50

» Finland, Luxembourg & Ireland worst for anti-black harassment
by OsricPearl Thu 28 Feb - 14:45

» Language Test for Political Type
by OsricPearl Mon 25 Feb - 4:30

» Liberals lecture and conservatives communicate
by OsricPearl Mon 25 Feb - 4:27

» Alarming decline in flying insects
by Sary Tue 19 Feb - 1:44

» Financial incentives for Hungarian women to have more children
by Neon Knight Wed 13 Feb - 0:18

» Classic TV Theme Music
by Neon Knight Sun 10 Feb - 22:48

» Song Cover-Versions & Originals
by Neon Knight Wed 6 Feb - 23:09

» Personality Differences in Twitter and Facebook Users
by Neon Knight Wed 6 Feb - 0:21

» 23andMe update
by Sary Fri 1 Feb - 0:36

» Genes for staying slim do exist
by OsricPearl Wed 30 Jan - 4:14

» Popular music has become more emotionally negative
by Neon Knight Mon 28 Jan - 0:38

» Pronouncing ö and ü in German
by Neon Knight Thu 24 Jan - 22:31

» Government Shutdown over Border Wall
by OsricPearl Mon 21 Jan - 18:28

» Historical European Martial Arts, Arms & Armour
by Neon Knight Sun 20 Jan - 18:34

» How Poisons Kill
by Sary Fri 18 Jan - 0:27

» Blond hair has more genetic variants
by OsricPearl Tue 15 Jan - 3:25


42% support for a united Ireland in Northern Ireland

Reply to topic

View previous topic View next topic Go down

42% support for a united Ireland in Northern Ireland Empty 42% support for a united Ireland in Northern Ireland

Post Neon Knight on Sun 10 Jun - 1:17

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-44398502 Unordered quoting:

42% support for a united Ireland in Northern Ireland _101935501_border_poll-nc

The result represents a much narrower lead for the pro-UK camp than another survey carried out for Belfast's Queen's University in May, which suggested 50% backed the UK, whilst only 21% favoured a united Ireland.

The Queen's poll was conducted face-to-face by Ipsos Mori, whilst the BBC survey was carried out online and over the telephone by LucidTalk. LucidTalk's Bill White believes the online survey method may catch more "shy" united Ireland supporters than face-to-face interviews.

In the Lucid talk survey, support for a united Ireland is stronger amongst younger voters. Amongst those surveyed under the age of 45, 49% backed a united Ireland and 38% preferred staying in the UK. The remaining 13% were undecided.

42% support for a united Ireland in Northern Ireland _101935502_constitutional_position-nc


Last edited by Neon Knight on Sun 10 Jun - 1:32; edited 1 time in total

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Between the velvet lies, there's a truth that's hard as steel
The vision never dies, life's a never ending wheel
- R.J.Dio
Neon Knight
Neon Knight
The Castellan

Male Posts : 1364
Join date : 2017-03-05

http://castle-europa.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

42% support for a united Ireland in Northern Ireland Empty Re: 42% support for a united Ireland in Northern Ireland

Post Neon Knight on Sun 10 Jun - 1:20

It looks to me that now Britain is leaving the EU, many of the Catholics in NI are feeling more 'cut off' from the south, so that has pushed them into wanting a united Ireland.

I think it might well happen in about 10 years.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Between the velvet lies, there's a truth that's hard as steel
The vision never dies, life's a never ending wheel
- R.J.Dio
Neon Knight
Neon Knight
The Castellan

Male Posts : 1364
Join date : 2017-03-05

http://castle-europa.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

42% support for a united Ireland in Northern Ireland Empty Re: 42% support for a united Ireland in Northern Ireland

Post frankhammer on Tue 12 Jun - 6:20

It depends if brexit is a success. You never can tell. I'm not feeling confident with those in control now and I feel it could all take a terrible turn for the worst if labour takes power.

frankhammer
A knight of the castle

Male Posts : 45
Join date : 2017-06-10

Back to top Go down

42% support for a united Ireland in Northern Ireland Empty Re: 42% support for a united Ireland in Northern Ireland

Post OsricPearl on Tue 12 Jun - 16:02

@frankhammer wrote:It depends if brexit is a success. You never can tell. I'm not feeling confident with those in control now and I feel it could all take a terrible turn for the worst if labour takes power.

TPTB will make sure to get their way no matter how people vote. Sad No

I would rather NI and Ireland unite as one country, though. I think the present division is unnatural, although there are probably good reasons for it.
OsricPearl
OsricPearl
A lady of the castle

Female Posts : 275
Join date : 2017-08-07

Back to top Go down

42% support for a united Ireland in Northern Ireland Empty Re: 42% support for a united Ireland in Northern Ireland

Post frankhammer on Wed 13 Jun - 17:30

The breakup of the UK into mini-states seems to be a goal for some. Divided and conquered, after a 1000 years. smh

What's next. Spain, Italy, Brasil or the US. China and India will be quietly happy with these results.

frankhammer
A knight of the castle

Male Posts : 45
Join date : 2017-06-10

Back to top Go down

42% support for a united Ireland in Northern Ireland Empty Re: 42% support for a united Ireland in Northern Ireland

Post Neon Knight on Wed 13 Jun - 21:15

@frankhammer wrote:The breakup of the UK into mini-states seems to be a goal for some. Divided and conquered, after a 1000 years. smh

What's next. Spain, Italy, Brasil or the US. China and India will be quietly happy with these results.

That's a point I make. A lot of people (on the internet) who call themselves nationalists/patriots seem to think it would be grand for every country to splinter into regional, flag-waving parts. I don't know why. Nations formed in the first place out of competing petty kingdoms and eventually settled down into stable realms with strong defences.

In the case of Northern Ireland, I don't think it really matters if stays with England or goes - it's really just a matter of tribal pride. But I wouldn't want Great Britain to break apart. I think it would have to be called 'Britain' to satisfy the Welsh. 'England and Wales' would be embarrassing.


----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Between the velvet lies, there's a truth that's hard as steel
The vision never dies, life's a never ending wheel
- R.J.Dio
Neon Knight
Neon Knight
The Castellan

Male Posts : 1364
Join date : 2017-03-05

http://castle-europa.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

42% support for a united Ireland in Northern Ireland Empty Re: 42% support for a united Ireland in Northern Ireland

Post OsricPearl on Wed 13 Jun - 21:34

@Neon Knight wrote:
@frankhammer wrote:The breakup of the UK into mini-states seems to be a goal for some. Divided and conquered, after a 1000 years. smh

What's next. Spain, Italy, Brasil or the US. China and India will be quietly happy with these results.

That's a point I make. A lot of people (on the internet) who call themselves nationalists/patriots seem to think it would be grand for every country to splinter into regional, flag-waving parts. I don't know why. Nations formed in the first place out of competing petty kingdoms and eventually settled down into stable realms with strong defences.

In the case of Northern Ireland, I don't think it really matters if stays with England or goes - it's really just a matter of tribal pride. But I wouldn't want Great Britain to break apart. I think it would have to be called 'Britain' to satisfy the Welsh. 'England and Wales' would be embarrassing.


I think it's interesting how nearly every European country is really a conglomerate of smaller countries. I was reading about Estonia, and it's the combination of four kingdoms. I thought, really? Estonia? That little country up in the NE of Europe that doesn't get much attention? Wow
Then there is tiny Belgium, two countries in one, really.

I mean, I think the only countries that aren't like that are Lichtenstein, maybe Ireland, Portugal... Scratching
OsricPearl
OsricPearl
A lady of the castle

Female Posts : 275
Join date : 2017-08-07

Back to top Go down

42% support for a united Ireland in Northern Ireland Empty Re: 42% support for a united Ireland in Northern Ireland

Post frankhammer on Fri 15 Jun - 18:52

A united Ireland and UK (the Isles) should be the western European coastal fortress along with the main trade entry to the same region. If they played their cards right.

The 200nm eez alone has immense resources. Are there no big picture thinkers, movers and shakers left?

frankhammer
A knight of the castle

Male Posts : 45
Join date : 2017-06-10

Back to top Go down

42% support for a united Ireland in Northern Ireland Empty Re: 42% support for a united Ireland in Northern Ireland

Post Neon Knight on Fri 15 Jun - 21:04

@OsricPearl wrote:I think it's interesting how nearly every European country is really a conglomerate of smaller countries. I was reading about Estonia, and it's the combination of four kingdoms. I thought, really? Estonia? That little country up in the NE of Europe that doesn't get much attention? Wow
Then there is tiny Belgium, two countries in one, really.

I mean, I think the only countries that aren't like that are Lichtenstein, maybe Ireland, Portugal... Scratching
I could look it up and become informed within ten minutes, but without doing so, I don't know why Portugal is a separate country anyway. There's no obvious geographical separator.

There was somebody in a paper recently saying how poor high school history education is these days. All they really learn about here is World War 2 and Henry VIII.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Between the velvet lies, there's a truth that's hard as steel
The vision never dies, life's a never ending wheel
- R.J.Dio
Neon Knight
Neon Knight
The Castellan

Male Posts : 1364
Join date : 2017-03-05

http://castle-europa.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

42% support for a united Ireland in Northern Ireland Empty Re: 42% support for a united Ireland in Northern Ireland

Post Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum