Castle Europa
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Like/Tweet/+1
Latest topics
» Now listening to . . .
by Sary Yesterday at 0:26

» Religious Followings in Iran
by Neon Knight Sat 16 Mar - 3:00

» Minimum Drinking Ages
by Neon Knight Sat 16 Mar - 2:55

» Song Cover-Versions & Originals
by Neon Knight Tue 5 Mar - 22:43

» European Border Disputes
by Neon Knight Tue 5 Mar - 1:49

» Cat Vision
by Sary Wed 21 Feb - 2:00

» Cool Masculine Art
by Neon Knight Thu 15 Feb - 1:08

» Apparitions & Hauntings
by Neon Knight Wed 31 Jan - 9:33

» Beautiful Feminine Art
by Sary Wed 24 Jan - 0:03

» Monty Python Scenes & Sketches
by Neon Knight Tue 23 Jan - 0:32

» Covid-19 in Europe
by Sary Sat 6 Jan - 2:04

» Xylitol - the ideal sugar substitute?
by Neon Knight Wed 20 Dec - 0:48

» Favourite Quotes - Wit & Wisdom
by Neon Knight Mon 20 Nov - 0:16

» Near-Death Experiences
by Neon Knight Sun 19 Nov - 23:34

» Early Fantasy Novels
by Sary Mon 16 Oct - 1:33

» Computer Simulated Life Experience
by OsricPearl Mon 9 Oct - 4:28

» Career change
by OsricPearl Mon 9 Oct - 4:16

» A normal explanation for some hauntings
by Neon Knight Sun 1 Oct - 1:15

» Alice Cooper dropped by cosmetics firm for trans comments
by Sary Mon 11 Sep - 12:44

» DNA Shared by Relationship
by Sary Sat 26 Aug - 2:10

» Inside Balkan Churches
by Neon Knight Sun 30 Jul - 23:59

» UK Migration Issues
by Neon Knight Mon 17 Jul - 1:36

» The Legendary Dogmen
by Neon Knight Sun 9 Jul - 22:57

» Ancient Archaeological Finds
by OsricPearl Thu 6 Jul - 15:11

» Time Slips
by Neon Knight Thu 22 Jun - 0:38

» European Monarchies
by OsricPearl Tue 9 May - 3:08

» Chesterton's Fence
by Neon Knight Thu 4 May - 16:18

» Physical Map of Europe
by Sary Sat 15 Apr - 0:31

» The maps of Europe and the USA compared
by Neon Knight Sun 12 Mar - 18:11

» John Titor - a time and dimensional traveller?
by Sary Wed 8 Feb - 0:03

» The Sex Pistols' notorious early appearance on TV
by Sary Tue 24 Jan - 2:39

» Responding to SJW Rhetoric
by Neon Knight Mon 9 Jan - 11:00

» Which countries should refugees go to?
by OsricPearl Thu 29 Dec - 15:53

» Spotting dark personality traits from faces
by Guest Wed 28 Dec - 23:16

» Victorian Christmas Traditions
by Neon Knight Fri 23 Dec - 19:13

» The mystery behind the Pied Piper story
by OsricPearl Wed 14 Dec - 4:00

» Saint Places
by OsricPearl Wed 14 Dec - 3:40

» Ancient Monuments
by Sary Fri 2 Dec - 3:30

» Personality traits linked to political orientation
by Neon Knight Tue 22 Nov - 13:49

» Rainbows in European Mythology
by Sary Sat 19 Nov - 19:45

A European language?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

A European language? Empty A European language?

Post Jehan I Sat 1 Jul - 21:40

Are you in favor of the creation of a simple european language?

The goal would be to have a lingua franca esy to learn by everyone and who would be a symbol of the unity of european people. The language wouldn't have for goal to replace the traditional language of europe, but just to make the commnication easyer.

As many of you have english as mother toungue, I assume you will say English is already here for that.
But the use of english include a kind of inegality. It must be a neutral language.
Jehan I
Jehan I
Un chevalier du château

Male Posts : 194

Back to top Go down

A European language? Empty Re: A European language?

Post Impasible Sat 1 Jul - 22:48

Jehan I wrote:Are you in favor of the creation of a simple european language?

The goal would be to have a lingua franca esy to learn by everyone and who would be a symbol of the unity of european people. The language wouldn't have for goal to replace the traditional language of europe, but just to make the commnication easyer.

As many of you have english as mother toungue, I assume you will say English is already here for that.
But the use of english include a kind of inegality. It must be a neutral language.

Probably technology will be faster an easier to implement that making entire populations to learn another language.
An universal translator strak trek style... Surprised
Impasible
Impasible
Un caballero del castillo

Male Posts : 59

Back to top Go down

Post Neon Knight Sat 1 Jul - 22:55

I understand the non-English point of view - something neutral. It could work for the future generation who are now at school. Was that not the idea of Esperanto? I've never tried it.

A European language? Englan11

Between the velvet lies, there's a truth that's hard as steel
The vision never dies, life's a never ending wheel
- R.J.Dio
Neon Knight
Neon Knight
The Castellan

Male Posts : 2357

https://castle-europa.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post Stormbringer Mon 10 Jul - 22:27

We tried it (Serbo-Croatian) and it backfired badly eventually.

Nowadays you have obsessively hilarious behavior on part of Croats, Montenegrins and Bosniaks trying to exemplify the differences between what is basically the same language, while we are still in a predicament over whether and when to use Cyrillic or Latin alphabet (Latin became predominant during 2nd Yugoslavia as a sort of a compromise on our part, in cordial relations, and it remains that way in Bosnia and Herzegovina to this day, while Serbian Cyrilic alphabet is being propagandized as "the aggressor alphabet" in Croatia, and signs on Cyrillic are being painted over in Federation of B&H).

I'm rather fine with English being lingua franca of the modern world.They've vested their interests into this development, and I can only salute them.

To me there's nothing more ridiculous than duty nationalists complaining how "our children are learning the language of the evil neo-colonial British Empire", while we have a case of a Bosniaks in Serbia on court demanding that every document be translated from Serbian into Bosnian language, and eventually the case stands long enough for it to go cold because neither side wants to budge.

“You were not there for the beginning. You will not be there for the end. Your knowledge of what is going on can only be superficial and relative”
Stormbringer
Stormbringer

Male Posts : 8

Back to top Go down

Post Iseult Sat 5 Aug - 22:12

Stormbringer wrote:We tried it (Serbo-Croatian) and it backfired badly eventually.

Nowadays you have obsessively hilarious behavior on part of Croats, Montenegrins and Bosniaks trying to exemplify the differences between what is basically the same language, while we are still in a predicament over whether and when to use Cyrillic or Latin alphabet (Latin became predominant during 2nd Yugoslavia as a sort of a compromise on our part, in cordial relations, and it remains that way in Bosnia and Herzegovina to this day, while Serbian Cyrilic alphabet is being propagandized as "the aggressor alphabet" in Croatia, and signs on Cyrillic are being painted over in Federation of B&H).

I'm rather fine with English being lingua franca of the modern world.They've vested their interests into this development, and I can only salute them.

To me there's nothing more ridiculous than duty nationalists complaining how "our children are learning the language of the evil neo-colonial British Empire", while we have a case of a Bosniaks in Serbia on court demanding that every document be translated from Serbian into Bosnian language, and eventually the case stands long enough for it to go cold because neither side wants to budge.
That reminds me of something my friend showed me when he was in Sarajevo. They basically wrote the same thing three times lol
A European language? JPEG_20170622_231548

Iseult

Female Posts : 21

Back to top Go down

Post Neon Knight Fri 2 Mar - 19:51

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esperanto Quoting:

Esperanto is a constructed international auxiliary language. With an estimated two million speakers worldwide, it is the most widely spoken constructed language in the world. The Polish-Jewish ophthalmologist L. L. Zamenhof published the first book detailing Esperanto, Unua Libro, in Warsaw on July 26 1887. The name of Esperanto derives from Doktoro Esperanto (Esperanto translates as "one who hopes"), the pseudonym under which Zamenhof published Unua Libro . . .

Esperanto has not been a secondary official language of any recognized country, but it entered the education system of several countries such as Hungary and China . . . The Chinese government has used Esperanto since 2001 for daily news on china.org.cn. China also uses Esperanto in China Radio International and for the internet magazine El Popola Ĉinio . . .

The phonology, grammar, vocabulary, and semantics are based on the Indo-European languages spoken in Europe. The sound inventory is essentially Slavic, as is much of the semantics, whereas the vocabulary derives primarily from the Romance languages, with a lesser contribution from Germanic languages and minor contributions from Slavic languages and Greek. Pragmatics and other aspects of the language not specified by Zamenhof's original documents were influenced by the native languages of early authors, primarily Russian, Polish, German, and French. Paul Wexler proposes that Esperanto is relexified Yiddish, which he claims is in turn a relexified Slavic language, though this model is not accepted by mainstream academics . . .

The vocabulary, orthography, phonology, and semantics, are all thoroughly European. The vocabulary, for example, draws about two-thirds from Romance and one-third from Germanic languages; the syntax is Romance; and the phonology and semantics are Slavic. The grammar is arguably more European than not, but Claude Piron among others argues that the derivation system is not particularly European, though the inflection is.

A European language? Englan11

Between the velvet lies, there's a truth that's hard as steel
The vision never dies, life's a never ending wheel
- R.J.Dio
Neon Knight
Neon Knight
The Castellan

Male Posts : 2357

https://castle-europa.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post Sary Mon 5 Mar - 22:49

Latin is a good choice ,it is the basis for all off the Romance languages Maybe it could be modified/modernized, to accommodate today's world.  
I like it because I understand many of the medical prefixes and suffixes and there are also prayers and songs that are familiar to me.

Even so....I still like English best.
Sary
Sary
A lady of the castle

Female Posts : 1068

Back to top Go down

Post Aëlwenn Tue 6 Mar - 8:41

Im not in favor for creation of unique European language because I like the diversity of linguistic Europe.
Because expansion of Africa, the next biggest economic target, lingua franca could be change for many linguistic scientist at 2050, so we will see.

Esperanto is a good choice, even if personally, I don’t like the «  cha cha » gimmick and the rolled «  r ». Sound close to Spanish and italian, language who are very fast and loud, it’s not my cup of tea.
I think the technological way is the best. I have trying earphone translator and it’s really impressive.
I have read some things about learning languages is good for Alzheimer’s prevention. Maybe it’s simply the solution, trying to learn other languages who interest us. Less easy but more sane, perhaps.
Aëlwenn
Aëlwenn
La dame du château

Female Posts : 166

Back to top Go down

Post Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top