Castle Europa
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Like/Tweet/+1
Latest topics
» Now listening to . . .
by Sary Today at 2:14

» Political Dimensions Test
by Neon Knight Thu 18 Apr - 21:29

» Song Cover-Versions & Originals
by Neon Knight Sat 13 Apr - 0:19

» Minimum Drinking Ages
by Sary Mon 8 Apr - 19:17

» Religious Followings in Iran
by Neon Knight Sat 16 Mar - 3:00

» European Border Disputes
by Neon Knight Tue 5 Mar - 1:49

» Cat Vision
by Sary Wed 21 Feb - 2:00

» Cool Masculine Art
by Neon Knight Thu 15 Feb - 1:08

» Apparitions & Hauntings
by Neon Knight Wed 31 Jan - 9:33

» Beautiful Feminine Art
by Sary Wed 24 Jan - 0:03

» Monty Python Scenes & Sketches
by Neon Knight Tue 23 Jan - 0:32

» Covid-19 in Europe
by Sary Sat 6 Jan - 2:04

» Xylitol - the ideal sugar substitute?
by Neon Knight Wed 20 Dec - 0:48

» Favourite Quotes - Wit & Wisdom
by Neon Knight Mon 20 Nov - 0:16

» Near-Death Experiences
by Neon Knight Sun 19 Nov - 23:34

» Early Fantasy Novels
by Sary Mon 16 Oct - 1:33

» Computer Simulated Life Experience
by OsricPearl Mon 9 Oct - 4:28

» Career change
by OsricPearl Mon 9 Oct - 4:16

» A normal explanation for some hauntings
by Neon Knight Sun 1 Oct - 1:15

» Alice Cooper dropped by cosmetics firm for trans comments
by Sary Mon 11 Sep - 12:44

» DNA Shared by Relationship
by Sary Sat 26 Aug - 2:10

» Inside Balkan Churches
by Neon Knight Sun 30 Jul - 23:59

» UK Migration Issues
by Neon Knight Mon 17 Jul - 1:36

» The Legendary Dogmen
by Neon Knight Sun 9 Jul - 22:57

» Ancient Archaeological Finds
by OsricPearl Thu 6 Jul - 15:11

» Time Slips
by Neon Knight Thu 22 Jun - 0:38

» European Monarchies
by OsricPearl Tue 9 May - 3:08

» Chesterton's Fence
by Neon Knight Thu 4 May - 16:18

» Physical Map of Europe
by Sary Sat 15 Apr - 0:31

» The maps of Europe and the USA compared
by Neon Knight Sun 12 Mar - 18:11

» John Titor - a time and dimensional traveller?
by Sary Wed 8 Feb - 0:03

» The Sex Pistols' notorious early appearance on TV
by Sary Tue 24 Jan - 2:39

» Responding to SJW Rhetoric
by Neon Knight Mon 9 Jan - 11:00

» Which countries should refugees go to?
by OsricPearl Thu 29 Dec - 15:53

» Spotting dark personality traits from faces
by Guest Wed 28 Dec - 23:16

» Victorian Christmas Traditions
by Neon Knight Fri 23 Dec - 19:13

» The mystery behind the Pied Piper story
by OsricPearl Wed 14 Dec - 4:00

» Saint Places
by OsricPearl Wed 14 Dec - 3:40

» Ancient Monuments
by Sary Fri 2 Dec - 3:30

» Personality traits linked to political orientation
by Neon Knight Tue 22 Nov - 13:49

Middle Earth in the real world

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Middle Earth in the real world Empty Middle Earth in the real world

Post Aëlwenn Wed 25 Oct - 1:50

Preparing a thread on Tolkien (long-standing project with Neon Knight), I took up the idea of another forum.
Indeed, Middle-earth represents, for Tolkien, pre-prehistoric Europe, forget about all.

Middle Earth in the real world 166961IllustrationprincipaleLaTerreduMilieu

Tolkien himself stipulated that The Shire = England.
I think it's obvious that Rohan = Scandinavia (Viking) and Gondor = Roman Empire.
Numenor refers to Atlantis, the Haradrim to the Arab peoples.
If you were to place the rest of the peoples and regions of Middle-earth in Europe, where would you place them?

Middle Earth in the real world 432813Rivendell

Where do you locate, according to the culture, the geography, the philosophy, what do you want, the Elves of Val Gris? Those of the Lothlorien? The elves of Rivendell? The dwarves of Erebor? Moria? The Kingdom of Arnor? The city of Dale? Who would be the Mordor for you? Which forest would play Fangorn?

Middle Earth in the real world 804131carteeurope17
Aëlwenn
Aëlwenn
La dame du château

Female Posts : 166

Back to top Go down

Middle Earth in the real world Empty Re: Middle Earth in the real world

Post Neon Knight Wed 25 Oct - 22:44

Good to see you doing this at last Aëlwenn. I can cheat a bit because I found some information about what inspired Tolkien for some of his Middle Earth places. I'll come back to it later this week when I've got more time, but for now I'll just show you two of the more interesting ones:

Rivendell

Middle Earth in the real world _79380332_lauterbrunnenvalley

In a letter to his son Michael, the author wrote that Bilbo Baggins' journey from the Elvish settlement of Rivendell to the Misty Mountains was based on a 1911 trip to Switzerland. Barring [= apart from] the Elves' residence, Tolkien's drawing of Rivendell in the illustrated edition of The Hobbit is almost identical to a view of Lauterbrunnen Valley.

Barad-dûr, the Dark Tower of Mordor:

Middle Earth in the real world CAMPUS007edit-Copy

. . . the illuminated clock tower at the University of Birmingham, visible across the city, has been suggested as the inspiration for the ever-watchful "Eye of Sauron".

Middle Earth in the real world Englan11

Between the velvet lies, there's a truth that's hard as steel
The vision never dies, life's a never ending wheel
- R.J.Dio
Neon Knight
Neon Knight
The Castellan

Male Posts : 2365

https://castle-europa.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post de Burgh Thu 26 Oct - 19:08

I feel that what comprises of Middle-Earth represents all of Europe in its own way. I feel that it takes heavily after Germanic and Celtic countries from European ancient history (e.g. Elves), European Iron Age to Middle Ages (smithing and crafting armor via the Dwarfs) and Middle Ages for LOTR Humans taking after the concept of Kings, Nobility, Castles, serfdom, armor, etc.

Like you said very succinctly; Middle-Earth is Europe, Easterlings/Khand are West Asian/Persian, Haradrim a mixture of Arabic/Indian and the Dark Lands representing Africa.

Umbar representing piracy and mixture of culture/races; the Caribbean more or less; very anarchist in nature.

Not sure about Mordor; too distinct in nature that I fail to see a parallel to compare it with.

'The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piercing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age. [...]'
˜ H.P. Lovecraft
de Burgh
de Burgh
A knight of the castle

Male Posts : 127

Back to top Go down

Post Sary Thu 26 Oct - 22:51

I have seen all three of the Lord of the rings movies. I think I may have read one of the books a long time ago,but I don't really remember the finer points.

Do you feel that the movies do the book justice?

I find it odd that movies were filmed in New Zealand. The landscape is breathtaking,so beautiful. I wonder if the Europeen landscape has really changed so much ,that it is no longer recognizable. I hope that Europe has protected land,like we do here in the USA.

I really enjoyed the first and the third of the trilogy.
The second movie,the two towers ,was a bit too violent for me. Those orcs and trees freaked me out!
What the heck are they supposed to represent?
Sary
Sary
A lady of the castle

Female Posts : 1078

Back to top Go down

Post Neon Knight Fri 27 Oct - 23:00

Sary wrote:I have seen all three of the Lord of the rings movies.  I think I may have read one of the books a long time ago, but I don't really remember the finer points.

I think the films could not have been much better in that respect. My only major criticism is that the first film was too long at the beginning with all that 'see how cute the hobbits are' and the third film dragged on too long at the end with all the farewells.

Sary wrote:I find it odd that movies were filmed in New Zealand.  The landscape is breathtaking, so beautiful.  I wonder if  the Europeen landscape has really changed so much, that it is no longer recognizable. I hope that Europe has protected land, like we do here in the USA.
NZ was also used for the Hercules and Xena TV series which you might remember. I assume it was chosen for the variety of landscapes and maybe tax laws as well (?). It might have been too expensive to keep filming in different European countries. In Britain we do have national parks . . . http://www.nationalparks.gov.uk/quick-guide-to-the-uks-national-parks . . . and land designated as 'greenbelt' which is supposed to stop urban sprawl but some of that is now threatened by house building policy. A lot of school playing fields have also been sold for building on.

Sary wrote:I really enjoyed the first and the third of the trilogy.  
The second movie, the two towers, was a bit too violent for me. Those orcs and trees freaked me out!
I preferred The Two Towers - because of the violence!  Barbarian Orcs are really tougher versions of the fairy tale goblins. The main theory is that they were created by Melkor/Morgoth (the first 'dark lord' before Sauron) from elves through sorcery and torture (and Saruman did something similar to create the Uruk Hai - I'm not sure what exactly) so they could represent moral corruption. https://scifi.stackexchange.com/questions/26725/what-is-the-true-origin-of-the-orcs

The ents (tree men) might have worked in the novel but in the film I did think they were a bit childish and the least believable of all the Middle Earth creatures. I suppose they represent the pagan idea of nature spirits/intelligence.

- R.J.Dio
Neon Knight
Neon Knight
The Castellan

Back to top Go down

Post Neon Knight Fri 27 Oct - 23:08

Aëlwenn wrote:I think it's obvious that Rohan = Scandinavia (Viking) and Gondor = Roman Empire.
In the films I was somtimes confused about what/who was Gondor and what/who was Rohan - the two groups looked very similar. Gondorians as Romans is an interesting interpretation which I hadn't thought of. The Vikings (and Anglo-Saxons) were not known for riding horses in battle, so maybe the Rohan were partly modelled on the Normans?

I'll come back to your other questions in the next few days.

- R.J.Dio
Neon Knight
Neon Knight
The Castellan

Back to top Go down

Post Sary Sat 28 Oct - 15:45

Neon Knight wrote:
Sary wrote:I have seen all three of the Lord of the rings movies.  I think I may have read one of the books a long time ago, but I don't really remember the finer points.

I think the films could not have been much better in that respect. My only major criticism is that the first film was too long at the beginning with all that 'see how cute the hobbits are' and the third film dragged on too long at the end with all the farewells.

Sary wrote:I find it odd that movies were filmed in New Zealand.  The landscape is breathtaking, so beautiful.  I wonder if  the Europeen landscape has really changed so much, that it is no longer recognizable. I hope that Europe has protected land, like we do here in the USA.
NZ was also used for the Hercules and Xena TV series which you might remember. I assume it was chosen for the variety of landscapes and maybe tax laws as well (?). It might have been too expensive to keep filming in different European countries. In Britain we do have national parks . . . http://www.nationalparks.gov.uk/quick-guide-to-the-uks-national-parks . . . and land designated as 'greenbelt' which is supposed to stop urban sprawl but some of that is now threatened by house building policy.

The second movie, the two towers, was a bit too violent for me. Those orcs and trees freaked me out!
I preferred The Two Towers - because of the violence!  Barbarian Orcs are really tougher versions of the fairy tale goblins. The main theory is that they were created by Morgoth (the first 'dark lord' before Sauron) from elves through sorcery and torture (and Saruman did something similar to create the Uruk Hai - I'm not sure what exactly) so they could represent moral corruption. https://scifi.stackexchange.com/questions/26725/what-is-the-true-origin-of-the-orcs

The ents (tree men) might have worked in the novel but in the film I did think they were a bit childish and the least believable of all the Middle Earth creatures. I suppose they represent the pagan idea of nature spirits/intelligence.

Lol,I am not surprised that you prefer The Two Towers,over the other two movies.  I imagine that if you were a character in the Lord of the Rings ,you would be a good guy.  A defender of what is right and just,fighting those evil orcs!

Now,I was reading about J.R.R Tolkien and learned something very interesting to me.  He was a devout Catholic.....very cool! http://www.catholicauthors.com/tolkien.html

It has been said that the dominant note of the traditional Catholic liturgy was intense longing. This is also true of her art, her literature, her whole life. It is a longing for things that cannot be in this world: unearthly truth, unearthly purity, unearthly justice, unearthly beauty. By all these earmarks, Lord of the Rings is indeed a Catholic work, as its author believed: But it is more. It is this age's great Catholic epic, fit to stand beside the Grail legends, Le Morte d'Arthur and The Canterbury Tales. It is at once a great comfort to the individual Catholic, and a tribute to the enduring power and greatness of the Catholic tradition, that JRRT created this work. In an age which has seen an almost total rejection of the faith on the part of the Civilization she created . . . Lord of the Rings assures us, both by its existence and its message, that the darkness cannot triumph forever."
Sary
Sary
A lady of the castle

Back to top Go down

Post OsricPearl Wed 1 Nov - 15:38

Sary wrote:
Neon Knight wrote:

NZ was also used for the Hercules and Xena TV series which you might remember. I assume it was chosen for the variety of landscapes and maybe tax laws as well (?). It might have been too expensive to keep filming in different European countries. In Britain we do have national parks . . . http://www.nationalparks.gov.uk/quick-guide-to-the-uks-national-parks . . . and land designated as 'greenbelt' which is supposed to stop urban sprawl but some of that is now threatened by house building policy.

I preferred The Two Towers - because of the violence!  Barbarian Orcs are really tougher versions of the fairy tale goblins. The main theory is that they were created by Morgoth (the first 'dark lord' before Sauron) from elves through sorcery and torture (and Saruman did something similar to create the Uruk Hai - I'm not sure what exactly) so they could represent moral corruption. https://scifi.stackexchange.com/questions/26725/what-is-the-true-origin-of-the-orcs

Lol,I am not surprised that you prefer The Two Towers,over the other two movies.  I imagine that if you were a character in the Lord of the Rings ,you would be a good guy.  A defender of what is right and just,fighting those evil orcs!

Now,I was reading about J.R.R Tolkien and learned something very interesting to me.  He was a devout Catholic.....very cool!   http://www.catholicauthors.com/tolkien.html

It has been said that the dominant note of the traditional Catholic liturgy was intense longing. This is also true of her art, her literature, her whole life. It is a longing for things that cannot be in this world: unearthly truth, unearthly purity, unearthly justice, unearthly beauty. By all these earmarks, Lord of the Rings is indeed a Catholic work, as its author believed: But it is more. It is this age's great Catholic epic, fit to stand beside the Grail legends, Le Morte d'Arthur and The Canterbury Tales. It is at once a great comfort to the individual Catholic, and a tribute to the enduring power and greatness of the Catholic tradition, that JRRT created this work. In an age which has seen an almost total rejection of the faith on the part of the Civilization she created . . . Lord of the Rings assures us, both by its existence and its message, that the darkness cannot triumph forever."

One of the problems with Neo-Pagans is that they miss the Christian aspects of LoTR. It's not allegorical, but to separate the man and his faith from his work, is just inexcusable. There are certain elements that are directly influenced by his faith, for example the "Return of the King" can be seen as a allusion to Christ, with Gondor being the church and the Stewart being the Pope. The Ring is an obvious stand-in for Sin. The Sin bearer and suffering servant, Frodo and Sam, is another "Jesus" character, ect.
OsricPearl
OsricPearl
A lady of the castle

Female Posts : 458

Back to top Go down

Post Neon Knight Wed 1 Nov - 18:11

The parallels with Christianity and Catholicism are interesting and I'm sure there is some truth in them, especially in The Silmarillion with the creation story, the journey of the elves to a new land and the figure of Melkor/Morgoth, the original 'dark lord'. So it is mixed in with the majority influence from Norse, Celtic and Arthurian myth.

- R.J.Dio
Neon Knight
Neon Knight
The Castellan

Back to top Go down

Post Sary Thu 2 Nov - 21:49

I wonder if Tolkien were alive today, how he would feel about the way his fantasy stories have influenced the growth of neopaganism in modern society.

His books became very popular in the 1960's/70's coinciding with the leftist hippie counter culture,the age of Aquarius and all of that BS.

Nowadays it seems that bible based religion is on the decline, it is for old /superstitious people,while worshipping nature is now de Rigueur.

This does not make sense to me, worshipping creation but not the creator.

Maybe this should be another topic/I am not trying to derail the middle earth thread. Rolling Eyes
Sary
Sary
A lady of the castle

Back to top Go down

Post Neon Knight Fri 3 Nov - 13:09

Sary wrote:I wonder if Tolkien were alive today, how he would feel about the way his fantasy stories have influenced the growth of neopaganism in modern society.

His books became very popular in the 1960's/70's coinciding with the leftist hippie counter culture, the age of Aquarius and all of that BS.

Nowadays it seems that bible based religion is on the decline, it is for old /superstitious people,while worshipping nature is now de  Rigueur.

This does not make sense to me, worshipping creation but not the creator.

I haven't noticed any neo-pagan groups with a Tolkien theme but I suppose it has been an influence via the hippies and maybe fantasy role-palying games. Neo-P is still a small minority religion and any concern for nature is not reflected in the way most people vote.

The philosophical problem with assuming a creator is that it begs the question of who created the creator. If we say that the creator came from nowhere or has always existed then we might as well say that about nature. I remember a teacher saying that it is a Western habit to always think that everything must have a beginning and an end. Maybe the universe (or God) has always existed in some form.

- R.J.Dio
Neon Knight
Neon Knight
The Castellan

Back to top Go down

Post Aëlwenn Fri 3 Nov - 17:33

Normans sound's good for Rohan yes, I don't have noticed for the cavalry.
I think for Numenor, Atlantis is an inspiration for Tolkien, the sunken island.
I do not think, unlike some authors, that Tolkien is thinking about hyperborea.
I've been watching The Lord of Ring's making off for the umpteenth time, and Weta Workshop's work on the details is huge, Tolkien's works were for them a real Bible.
Aëlwenn
Aëlwenn
La dame du château

Female Posts : 166

Back to top Go down

Post Neon Knight Fri 3 Nov - 23:46

The association of dwarves with Scottishness

Tolkien's dwarves are quite close to those of Norse mythology, so why did Gimli in the films have a Scottish accent? Some think it began with World of Warcraft or even the Lord of the Rings films. Nope! I did some research . . .

This is a character called Auchter from a cartoon in a British role-paying games magazine, Imagine, in 1983:

Middle Earth in the real world Auchter

https://scifi.stackexchange.com/questions/21026/why-was-gimli-given-a-scottish-accent-in-the-lord-of-the-rings-films Quoting:

"The Scottish dwarves trope is older than Peter Jackson's movies, he merely went along with an established trend. Tolkien's dwarves were not Scottish; on the contrary, Tolkien based their language (Khuzdul) on Hebrew phonology, so that it would be completely different from the elvish languages like Sindarin (inspired by Welsh and other Indo-European languages) and Quenya (inspired primarily by Finnish).

One plausible hypothesis for the origin of Scottish dwarves is a character in Poul Anderson's 1961 novel Three Hearts and Three Lions, Hugi the dwarf, who does speak in a thick Scottish dialect. Three Hearts and Three Lions was an important source of inspiration for the role-playing game series Dungeons and Dragons, as was Tolkien's Middle-Earth, so that is probably where Scottish dwarves and Tolkien dwarves were blended."

- R.J.Dio
Neon Knight
Neon Knight
The Castellan

Back to top Go down

Post Sary Sat 4 Nov - 15:51

Neo-P is still a small minority religion and any concern for nature is not reflected in the way most people vote.

I am not so sure about that NK,I think that government can and has used nature as a tool to control society and its people. I see it here in the USA,environmentalism played a role in the  last presidential election and we all know how that turned out.

I don't  know much about WW2 Germany ,but it seems that environmentalism was a big part of the nazi war machine.  The slogan Blut and Boden/Blood and Soil,idealized a rural way of life,people that worked the land were the ones that possessed it. A form of national socialism? http://ileanajohnson.com/2014/10/nazi-environmentalism/

If you look at Islam today you can see that environmentalism is a big part of their religion,hence the green flag? http://www.greenmuslims.org/

That's all I am going to say about this,Aelwenn has started a beautiful thread about middle earth and I do not want to spoil it with talk of religion and politics.
Sary
Sary
A lady of the castle

Back to top Go down

Post Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top