Castle Europa
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Like/Tweet/+1
Latest topics
» Now listening to . . .
by Neon Knight Yesterday at 0:33

» Political Dimensions Test
by Neon Knight Thu 18 Apr - 21:29

» Song Cover-Versions & Originals
by Neon Knight Sat 13 Apr - 0:19

» Minimum Drinking Ages
by Sary Mon 8 Apr - 19:17

» Religious Followings in Iran
by Neon Knight Sat 16 Mar - 3:00

» European Border Disputes
by Neon Knight Tue 5 Mar - 1:49

» Cat Vision
by Sary Wed 21 Feb - 2:00

» Cool Masculine Art
by Neon Knight Thu 15 Feb - 1:08

» Apparitions & Hauntings
by Neon Knight Wed 31 Jan - 9:33

» Beautiful Feminine Art
by Sary Wed 24 Jan - 0:03

» Monty Python Scenes & Sketches
by Neon Knight Tue 23 Jan - 0:32

» Covid-19 in Europe
by Sary Sat 6 Jan - 2:04

» Xylitol - the ideal sugar substitute?
by Neon Knight Wed 20 Dec - 0:48

» Favourite Quotes - Wit & Wisdom
by Neon Knight Mon 20 Nov - 0:16

» Near-Death Experiences
by Neon Knight Sun 19 Nov - 23:34

» Early Fantasy Novels
by Sary Mon 16 Oct - 1:33

» Computer Simulated Life Experience
by OsricPearl Mon 9 Oct - 4:28

» Career change
by OsricPearl Mon 9 Oct - 4:16

» A normal explanation for some hauntings
by Neon Knight Sun 1 Oct - 1:15

» Alice Cooper dropped by cosmetics firm for trans comments
by Sary Mon 11 Sep - 12:44

» DNA Shared by Relationship
by Sary Sat 26 Aug - 2:10

» Inside Balkan Churches
by Neon Knight Sun 30 Jul - 23:59

» UK Migration Issues
by Neon Knight Mon 17 Jul - 1:36

» The Legendary Dogmen
by Neon Knight Sun 9 Jul - 22:57

» Ancient Archaeological Finds
by OsricPearl Thu 6 Jul - 15:11

» Time Slips
by Neon Knight Thu 22 Jun - 0:38

» European Monarchies
by OsricPearl Tue 9 May - 3:08

» Chesterton's Fence
by Neon Knight Thu 4 May - 16:18

» Physical Map of Europe
by Sary Sat 15 Apr - 0:31

» The maps of Europe and the USA compared
by Neon Knight Sun 12 Mar - 18:11

» John Titor - a time and dimensional traveller?
by Sary Wed 8 Feb - 0:03

» The Sex Pistols' notorious early appearance on TV
by Sary Tue 24 Jan - 2:39

» Responding to SJW Rhetoric
by Neon Knight Mon 9 Jan - 11:00

» Which countries should refugees go to?
by OsricPearl Thu 29 Dec - 15:53

» Spotting dark personality traits from faces
by Guest Wed 28 Dec - 23:16

» Victorian Christmas Traditions
by Neon Knight Fri 23 Dec - 19:13

» The mystery behind the Pied Piper story
by OsricPearl Wed 14 Dec - 4:00

» Saint Places
by OsricPearl Wed 14 Dec - 3:40

» Ancient Monuments
by Sary Fri 2 Dec - 3:30

» Personality traits linked to political orientation
by Neon Knight Tue 22 Nov - 13:49

Ancient Archaeological Finds

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Ancient Archaeological Finds - Page 2 Empty Ancient Archaeological Finds

Post Neon Knight Sun 23 Jun - 2:23

1,700-year-old Roman coin sells for £550,000

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-7112813/Incredible-2-300-year-old-Roman-coin-sells-550-000-auction.html  Quoting:

A stunning gold coin emblazoned with the face of Roman Emperor Allectus - has sold for a staggering £550,000. The incredibly rare coin was found by an unnamed treasure hunter as he searched a newly-ploughed field next to an old Roman road near Dover, Kent.  It was purchased by an enthusiast, also unnamed, and is worth far more now than it was when it was minted 1,700 years ago.

Known as an Aureus, the 24 carat gold coin has just one matching example in the world which is in the British Museum and is thought to have been worth 25 pure silver dinarii. The coin depicts a noble-looking Allectus on one face and on the flip side has two captives kneeling at the feet of Apollo . . .

Ancient Archaeological Finds - Page 2 14462486-7112813-image-a-1_1559839247760

Ancient Archaeological Finds - Page 2 14462562-7112813-image-a-19_1559839305546

Nigel Mills, of a coin consultant from Dix Noonan Webb, said: 'This is an amazing find and is one of the finest condition coins out there. I've never seen one like it in my 40 years of work so it really is a remarkable discovery . . .The rarity is there, the condition is there and it's made of 24 carat gold all of which make it an fantastic coin.'

Wikipedia:

Allectus was treasurer to Carausius, a Menapian officer in the Roman navy who had seized power in Britain and northern Gaul in 286. In 293 Carausius was isolated when the western Caesar, Constantius Chlorus, retook some of his Gallic territories, particularly the crucial port of Bononia (modern Boulogne), and defeated Frankish allies of Carausius in Batavia. Allectus assassinated Carausius and assumed command himself.

His reign has left little record, although his coin issues display a similar distribution to those of Carausius. They are found in north western Gaul, indicating that the recapture of Bononia did not spell the end of the rebel empire on that side of the English Channel.

Constantius launched an invasion to depose him in September 296. His forces sailed in several divisions. Constantius led one division from Bononia, but seems to have been delayed by bad weather. Another division, under the praetorian prefect Asclepiodotus, took advantage of fog to avoid Allectus's ships stationed at the Isle of Wight, and landed near Southampton Water, where they burnt their ships. Allectus's forces were forced to retreat from the coast, but were cut off by another of Constantius's divisions and defeated. Allectus himself was killed in the battle, having removed all insignia in the hope that his body would not be identified. Archaeology suggests that Calleva Atrebatum (Silchester) was the site of his defeat or the area surrounding the town. A group of Roman troops, who had been separated from the main body by the fog during the channel crossing, caught up with the remnants of Allectus's men, mostly Franks, at Londinium (London), and massacred them. Constantius himself, it seems, did not reach Britain until it was all over, and his panegyrist claims he was welcomed by the Britons as a liberator.

Ancient Archaeological Finds - Page 2 Englan11

Between the velvet lies, there's a truth that's hard as steel
The vision never dies, life's a never ending wheel
- R.J.Dio
Neon Knight
Neon Knight
The Castellan

Male Posts : 2365

https://castle-europa.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Ancient Archaeological Finds - Page 2 Empty Re: Ancient Archaeological Finds

Post OsricPearl Mon 24 Jun - 18:38

That's amazing! It's a beautiful coin. As a coin collector of sorts, if I had all the money in the world, I would buy it. I've always thought that selling old coins with a certificate of authenticity was was a good way for museums and colleges to make money. There was a scandal some time back in Sweden where some coins were being smelted. What a waste! Let me have some of those, ya know? I'm sure plenty of people would pay bank to have authentic viking and roman coins.

Ancient Archaeological Finds - Page 2 VMPmie1
OsricPearl
OsricPearl
A lady of the castle

Female Posts : 458

Back to top Go down

Post OsricPearl Mon 24 Jun - 18:42

Neon Knight wrote:I like Hephaestus (Vulcan to the Romans). He is noble and sympathetic.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hephaestus

Ancient Archaeological Finds - Page 2 61pPVHiXToL._SY550_

Yes, it's why I could never hang with Aphrodite or Hera. Hera threw her baby away because he was ugly. Aphrodite cheated on him all the time. I'm supposed to worship these creatures? what? Scratching

OsricPearl
OsricPearl
A lady of the castle

Back to top Go down

Post Sary Tue 25 Jun - 21:40

All of the ancient gods and goddesses possessed both human traits of weaknesses and strengths. Jealousy, lust, vengeance make them part of what they are, not so different than mortal human beings.
It makes me think that they were not so much worshiped, as they were feared.
I would hang with any of one of them, if given a chance to get to know them.
Sary
Sary
A lady of the castle

Female Posts : 1076

Back to top Go down

Post Sary Tue 25 Jun - 21:50

Wow, that coin is magnificent!

If I ever came in possession of it, I would have it set and I would wear it as a pendent on a 24 karat gold chain around my neck.

It would make perfect necklace for you OP, seeing that the flip side has your favorite god, Apollo depicted on it.
Sary
Sary
A lady of the castle

Back to top Go down

Post Sary Thu 27 Jun - 19:07

Yesterday something happened to me that was so uncanny that I just have to share.

I volunteered to help clear out some old books and supplies, left in one of the old medical offices that is going to be renovated.

I started packing books,  when I came across this statue of The Colossus of Rhodes.
The woman in charge of the move said I could keep the statue , as he was going to be thrown out anyway.
Needless to say, I am keeping him and he now adorns my desk. My protector of sorts  Smile 1

The Colossus of Rhodes was one of the 7 wonders of the ancient world. He is the Ancient Greek god, Helios-the sun god. The Greek equivalent of Zeus and Apollo.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colossus_of_Rhodes

So strange because I never really thought much about Greek gods until this past week super coincidental!
Sary
Sary
A lady of the castle

Back to top Go down

Post Sary Thu 27 Jun - 19:12

Ancient Archaeological Finds - Page 2 25372b10
Sary
Sary
A lady of the castle

Back to top Go down

Post Neon Knight Fri 28 Jun - 1:29

Sary wrote:Yesterday something happened to me that was so uncanny that I just have to share.

I volunteered to help clear out some old books and supplies, left in one of the old medical offices that is going to be renovated.

I started packing books,  when I came across this statue of The Colossus of Rhodes.
The woman in charge of the move said I could keep the statue , as he was going to be thrown out anyway.
Needless to say, I am keeping him and he now adorns my desk. My protector of sorts  Smile 1

The Colossus of Rhodes was one of the 7 wonders of the ancient world. He is the Ancient Greek god, Helios-the sun god. The Greek equivalent of Zeus and Apollo.

So strange because I never really thought much about Greek gods until this past week super coincidental!
It's a good example of Jung's idea of synchronicity:

"Jung believed life was not a series of random events but rather an expression of a deeper order, which he and Pauli referred to as Unus mundus. This deeper order led to the insights that a person was both embedded in a universal wholeness and that the realisation of this was more than just an intellectual exercise, but also had elements of a spiritual awakening. From the religious perspective, synchronicity shares similar characteristics of an 'intervention of grace'. Jung also believed that in a person's life, synchronicity served a role similar to that of dreams, with the purpose of shifting a person's egocentric conscious thinking to greater wholeness." - Wikipedia

- R.J.Dio
Neon Knight
Neon Knight
The Castellan

Back to top Go down

Post OsricPearl Fri 28 Jun - 19:07

Someone was going to throw it away? Shame. At the very least they could have given it to a consignment shop for resale. It's a good thing you found it!

OsricPearl
OsricPearl
A lady of the castle

Back to top Go down

Post Sary Sat 29 Jun - 23:30

Neon Knight wrote:
Sary wrote:Yesterday something happened to me that was so uncanny that I just have to share.

It's a good example of Jung's idea of synchronicity:

"Jung believed life was not a series of random events but rather an expression of a deeper order, which he and Pauli referred to as Unus mundus. This deeper order led to the insights that a person was both embedded in a universal wholeness and that the realisation of this was more than just an intellectual exercise, but also had elements of a spiritual awakening. From the religious perspective, synchronicity shares similar characteristics of an 'intervention of grace'. Jung also believed that in a person's life, synchronicity served a role similar to that of dreams, with the purpose of shifting a person's egocentric conscious thinking to greater wholeness." - Wikipedia

Coincidences happen to me quite often, most of the time they are little things and I smile but then I quickly dismiss them. I know that magical thinking is a sign of mental illness. I try not to get caught up in my own thoughts too much.
But sometimes when the synchronicity is so profound that to ignore/deny it , well that would be foolish.
It adds meaning to ones life.
Sary
Sary
A lady of the castle

Back to top Go down

Post Sary Sat 29 Jun - 23:42

OsricPearl wrote:Someone was going to throw it away? Shame. At the very least they could have given it to a consignment shop for resale. It's a good thing you found it!

Kolossos may have ended up in the hospital auxiliary thrift store, but Alyssa said that I could have him plus, he said that he wanted to go with me.

I hope that the books find a good home. They were gorgeous cardiology text books bound in what looked to be red leather.

One man’s trash is another mans treasure.
Sary
Sary
A lady of the castle

Back to top Go down

Post Neon Knight Wed 10 Jul - 9:17

Sary wrote:
OsricPearl wrote:Someone was going to throw it away? Shame. At the very least they could have given it to a consignment shop for resale. It's a good thing you found it!

Kolossos may have ended up in the hospital auxiliary thrift store, but Alyssa said that I could have him plus, he said that he wanted to go with me.

I hope that the books find a good home. They were gorgeous cardiology text books bound in what looked to be red leather.

One man’s trash is another mans treasure.
It's a nice little story. May Kolossos bring you good luck.

- R.J.Dio
Neon Knight
Neon Knight
The Castellan

Back to top Go down

Post Neon Knight Wed 10 Jul - 9:45

https://www.realmofhistory.com/2018/05/24/first-corinthian-helmet-black-sea/  Quoting:

Archaeologists discover the first known ancient Corinthian helmet north of Black Sea

Taking its name from the city-state of Corinth, the Corinthian helmet pertains to the iconic classical gear that we identify with the ancient Greek hoplites, in spite of its relative disuse by the later decades of the 5th century BC (in favor of less constrictive designs). And in an interesting turn of events, archaeologists have come across the first known specimen of a Corinthian helmet north of Black Sea, in an area in the Taman Peninsula, south-west of Russia.

The incredible discovery in itself was found in a fragmented form – an unsurprising state since the object was buried for over 2,500 years. To that end, according to the researchers at Institute of Archaeology of the Russian Academy of Sciences (IA RAS), who took part in the excavation of the site, the Corinthian helmet possibly dates from the early part of 5th century BC. It can also be hypothesized that it belonged to a warrior, with the ancient Greek custom entailing the burial of the warrior along with his helmet.

Ancient Archaeological Finds - Page 2 First-corinthian-helmet-black-sea_1-min

Suffice it to say, the helmet, like the shield, was perceived as a prestigious equipment in the ancient Greek world, with hoplites/citizens often showcasing their helmets in a place of honor inside their dwellings. As for the specific design attributes of the exemplary Corinthian helmet, the protective gear was usually made of bronze (or brass) and it tended to cover the entire head and neck, with slits for the eyes and mouth . . .

Reverting to the discovery in question here, the particular Corinthian helmet alludes to the ancient Greek presence in the area in and around Crimea, north of Black Sea. To that end, the Taman site, corresponding to ancient Phanagoria, is also home to a necropolis of 600 burial mounds where many Greek warriors of the Bosporus kingdom are buried. Historically, this Greek Bosporan Kingdom (Basileion tou Kimmerikou Bosporou) in eastern Crimea was founded in circa 5th century BC and was the successor to the Greek colonies already established in the region by circa 7th century BC.

Quite intriguingly, the Bosporan Kingdom was administered as an ancient Greek mercantile state . . . at one point its capital Panticapaeum (modern-day Kerch) was the third largest city in the Greek world . . . the strategic value of the realm was not lost on the Romans who offered the client-state status to the kingdom (circa late 1st century AD) even after the subjugation of mainland Greece, thus making it the longest surviving client kingdom of the Romans. [End quote]

The Corinthian helmet is my second favourite after the medieval great helm. Note the serpent on top of the crown in this replica:

Ancient Archaeological Finds - Page 2 Bronze10

- R.J.Dio
Neon Knight
Neon Knight
The Castellan

Back to top Go down

Post OsricPearl Wed 10 Jul - 20:21

That is a beautiful find. I also like ancient Greek armor. They were classy.

OsricPearl
OsricPearl
A lady of the castle

Back to top Go down

Post Neon Knight Sun 15 Dec - 2:59

Whole chicken egg from Roman Britain recovered in southern England

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-50603415  Quoting:

The only complete chicken's egg from Roman Britain is a "genuinely unique discovery", according to an expert.

Ancient Archaeological Finds - Page 2 _109945243_untitled-1

It was one of four hen's eggs found during a dig in Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, although three broke releasing a "potent stench". The "remarkable collection" of other organic finds included leather shoes, wooden tools and a "very rare" basket. Archaeologist Edward Biddulph said the extent and range of discoveries "was more than could be foreseen". Mr Biddulph, senior project manager with Oxford Archaeology South, said the "standout discoveries" were found in a pit. From the late Third Century, people threw objects into it for good luck "much like a wishing well".

"The pit was still waterlogged and this has preserved a remarkable collection of organic objects. Most extraordinary of all was a basketry tray, made of woven oak bands and willow rods, and four chickens' eggs." The eggs were so fragile, three broke releasing a "potent stench of rotten egg", he said.

Ancient Archaeological Finds - Page 2 _109945744_berryfields_excavating_the_waterlogged_pit

Eggs were associated with fertility, rebirth and the Roman gods Mithras and Mercury. Eggshell fragments have been found before, usually in Roman graves, but this is the "only complete Roman egg known in Britain" and "a genuinely unique discovery", Mr Biddulph said. He believes the eggs and bread basket could have been food offerings cast into the pit as part of a religious ceremony during a funeral procession.

Pre-Roman finds were also discovered, but the site reverted to agriculture after the late 4th Century. The dig took place between 2007 and 2016, ahead of the development of the Berryfields site, a mix of housing and community facilities. It borders the Roman road of Akeman Street, under the A41, next to the Roman town at Fleet Marston. The full results of the dig are being revealed after three years of analysis.

- R.J.Dio
Neon Knight
Neon Knight
The Castellan

Back to top Go down

Post Sponsored content