Castle Europa
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Like/Tweet/+1
Latest topics
» Now listening to . . .
by Sary Yesterday at 0:26

» Religious Followings in Iran
by Neon Knight Sat 16 Mar - 3:00

» Minimum Drinking Ages
by Neon Knight Sat 16 Mar - 2:55

» Song Cover-Versions & Originals
by Neon Knight Tue 5 Mar - 22:43

» European Border Disputes
by Neon Knight Tue 5 Mar - 1:49

» Cat Vision
by Sary Wed 21 Feb - 2:00

» Cool Masculine Art
by Neon Knight Thu 15 Feb - 1:08

» Apparitions & Hauntings
by Neon Knight Wed 31 Jan - 9:33

» Beautiful Feminine Art
by Sary Wed 24 Jan - 0:03

» Monty Python Scenes & Sketches
by Neon Knight Tue 23 Jan - 0:32

» Covid-19 in Europe
by Sary Sat 6 Jan - 2:04

» Xylitol - the ideal sugar substitute?
by Neon Knight Wed 20 Dec - 0:48

» Favourite Quotes - Wit & Wisdom
by Neon Knight Mon 20 Nov - 0:16

» Near-Death Experiences
by Neon Knight Sun 19 Nov - 23:34

» Early Fantasy Novels
by Sary Mon 16 Oct - 1:33

» Computer Simulated Life Experience
by OsricPearl Mon 9 Oct - 4:28

» Career change
by OsricPearl Mon 9 Oct - 4:16

» A normal explanation for some hauntings
by Neon Knight Sun 1 Oct - 1:15

» Alice Cooper dropped by cosmetics firm for trans comments
by Sary Mon 11 Sep - 12:44

» DNA Shared by Relationship
by Sary Sat 26 Aug - 2:10

» Inside Balkan Churches
by Neon Knight Sun 30 Jul - 23:59

» UK Migration Issues
by Neon Knight Mon 17 Jul - 1:36

» The Legendary Dogmen
by Neon Knight Sun 9 Jul - 22:57

» Ancient Archaeological Finds
by OsricPearl Thu 6 Jul - 15:11

» Time Slips
by Neon Knight Thu 22 Jun - 0:38

» European Monarchies
by OsricPearl Tue 9 May - 3:08

» Chesterton's Fence
by Neon Knight Thu 4 May - 16:18

» Physical Map of Europe
by Sary Sat 15 Apr - 0:31

» The maps of Europe and the USA compared
by Neon Knight Sun 12 Mar - 18:11

» John Titor - a time and dimensional traveller?
by Sary Wed 8 Feb - 0:03

» The Sex Pistols' notorious early appearance on TV
by Sary Tue 24 Jan - 2:39

» Responding to SJW Rhetoric
by Neon Knight Mon 9 Jan - 11:00

» Which countries should refugees go to?
by OsricPearl Thu 29 Dec - 15:53

» Spotting dark personality traits from faces
by Guest Wed 28 Dec - 23:16

» Victorian Christmas Traditions
by Neon Knight Fri 23 Dec - 19:13

» The mystery behind the Pied Piper story
by OsricPearl Wed 14 Dec - 4:00

» Saint Places
by OsricPearl Wed 14 Dec - 3:40

» Ancient Monuments
by Sary Fri 2 Dec - 3:30

» Personality traits linked to political orientation
by Neon Knight Tue 22 Nov - 13:49

» Rainbows in European Mythology
by Sary Sat 19 Nov - 19:45

Neoliberal organisation recommends basic income policy

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Neoliberal organisation recommends basic income policy Empty Neoliberal organisation recommends basic income policy

Post Neon Knight Sun 28 Jan - 11:35

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/universal-basic-income-government-adam-smith-institute-free-market-welfare-a8166906.html

Ministers should consider implementing the radical policy of a universal basic income, according to a new report by a free market think-tank. The Adam Smith Institute (ASI) claims there is rising evidence for basic income and calls on governments across the globe to experiment with the idea. The concept involves radically overhauling the welfare state and ditching means-tested benefits in favour of an unconditional flat-rate of payments to all citizens.

The right-wing think-tank claims that current welfare systems are “ill-suited” to adapt to challenges presented by “automation and globalisation”, adding that a basic income is both politically feasible and financially sustainable. In a report ahead of the World Economic Forum meeting in Davos next week the organisation calls on Governments across the globe to look at the policy as they “seek to address the risks posed by large-scale changes to the labour market while retaining the benefits of trade and technological progress”.

In the new paper, authored by Otto Lehto, the Institute explores the rationale and current basic income experiments around the world adding that new trials in countries such as Canada, Finland, Uganda and Kenya highlight the growing interest in the idea.

“The analysis suggest that the UBI is politically feasible, socially desirable and financially sustainable,” the report says. “The biggest problems relate to its implementation and administration. It requires inspirational political leadership to reform entrenched institutions and practices." . . .

Mr Lehto said: “The theoretical case for unconditional cash transfers over command and control solutions has been strong ever since the birth of welfare economics. Now we have increasing empirical evidence from global field studies to corroborate the desirability of granting a modest, universal income floor. A UBI streamlines the provision of welfare services and improves the autonomy and incentives of individuals. Allowing poor people to spend their money as they see fit stimulates a bottom-up market solutions and cuts down on the bureaucratic red tape. All this pulls resources away from wasteful rent-seeking into wealth creation”.

Neoliberal organisation recommends basic income policy Englan11

Between the velvet lies, there's a truth that's hard as steel
The vision never dies, life's a never ending wheel
- R.J.Dio
Neon Knight
Neon Knight
The Castellan

Male Posts : 2357

https://castle-europa.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Neoliberal organisation recommends basic income policy Empty Re: Neoliberal organisation recommends basic income policy

Post Sary Tue 30 Jan - 0:56

It sounds like monopoly,everyone starts with $200 and you get $200 more every time you pass Go. Best of luck!
Free money yahoo!

It is unclear to me whether everyone gets some of the money ,or if you need to be below a certain income level.
What happens if not too smart or unlucky individuals squander their basic income,will there be another safety net?
Or will it be too bad.....sorry for you, but you lose.

I do not think it will work.
Sary
Sary
A lady of the castle

Female Posts : 1068

Back to top Go down

Neoliberal organisation recommends basic income policy Empty Re: Neoliberal organisation recommends basic income policy

Post Neon Knight Tue 30 Jan - 13:48

I think it would be for everyone regardless of wealth. Some are assuming that in future there will simply not be enough work to go around and also that it would be cheaper than paying people to work in benefits offices. It'll be interesting to see how the current trials work out. I think there should be more experimentation in politics.

- R.J.Dio
Neon Knight
Neon Knight
The Castellan

Back to top Go down

Post de Burgh Fri 9 Feb - 22:01

Neon Knight wrote:I think it would be for everyone regardless of wealth. Some are assuming that in future there will simply not be enough work to go around and also that it would be cheaper than paying people to work in benefits offices. It'll be interesting to see how the current trials work out. I think there should be more experimentation in politics.

Sounds like an interesting proposition! :-P

Nevertheless, if it ever comes down to it; they should also invest in each county/locale to be self sufficient via sustainable solutions through farming, making one's own clothes, etc. If our ancestors could do our own farming, building of their own houses, etc.; I'm sure with the right encouragement and resources; its possible.

'The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piercing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age. [...]'
˜ H.P. Lovecraft
de Burgh
de Burgh
A knight of the castle

Male Posts : 127

Back to top Go down

Post Sary Sat 10 Feb - 2:14

Something about it doesn't seem right.
Why would everyone get the same,isn't that what communism is?

Society should absolutely take care of the poor and needy, but individuals should be free to make as much money as they are able/desire.

This basic income philosophy is weird,maybe I do not quite fully understand it.
Sary
Sary
A lady of the castle

Female Posts : 1068

Back to top Go down

Post OsricPearl Sun 11 Feb - 4:54

I can guarantee that this will encourage people to stay idle and not work.
OsricPearl
OsricPearl
A lady of the castle

Female Posts : 458

Back to top Go down

Post Jehan I Sun 11 Feb - 17:23

At first, I tend to be for but now I see who support it, it became a strong NO!
Jehan I
Jehan I
Un chevalier du château

Male Posts : 194

Back to top Go down

Post OsricPearl Thu 15 Feb - 15:54

Jehan I wrote:At first, I tend to be for but now I see who support it, it became a strong NO!

It's communism 2.0
OsricPearl
OsricPearl
A lady of the castle

Female Posts : 458

Back to top Go down

Post Neon Knight Thu 15 Feb - 17:57

From a cynical point of view, the Adam Smith Institute see the basic income as a bribe to prevent rebellions when there is mass unemployment due to increasing automation in jobs. But some disagree that will happen:

https://www.economist.com/news/special-report/21700758-will-smarter-machines-cause-mass-unemployment-automation-and-anxiety

"So who is right: the pessimists (many of them techie types), who say this time is different and machines really will take all the jobs, or the optimists (mostly economists and historians), who insist that in the end technology always creates more jobs than it destroys? The truth probably lies somewhere in between. AI will not cause mass unemployment, but it will speed up the existing trend of computer-related automation, disrupting labour markets just as technological change has done before, and requiring workers to learn new skills more quickly than in the past. Mr Bessen predicts a “difficult transition” rather than a “sharp break with history”. But despite the wide range of views expressed, pretty much everyone agrees on the prescription: that companies and governments will need to make it easier for workers to acquire new skills and switch jobs as needed. That would provide the best defence in the event that the pessimists are right and the impact of artificial intelligence proves to be more rapid and more dramatic than the optimists expect."

- R.J.Dio
Neon Knight
Neon Knight
The Castellan

Back to top Go down

Post Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top