Castle Europa
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Like/Tweet/+1
Latest topics
» Now listening to . . .
by Sary Yesterday at 0:26

» Religious Followings in Iran
by Neon Knight Sat 16 Mar - 3:00

» Minimum Drinking Ages
by Neon Knight Sat 16 Mar - 2:55

» Song Cover-Versions & Originals
by Neon Knight Tue 5 Mar - 22:43

» European Border Disputes
by Neon Knight Tue 5 Mar - 1:49

» Cat Vision
by Sary Wed 21 Feb - 2:00

» Cool Masculine Art
by Neon Knight Thu 15 Feb - 1:08

» Apparitions & Hauntings
by Neon Knight Wed 31 Jan - 9:33

» Beautiful Feminine Art
by Sary Wed 24 Jan - 0:03

» Monty Python Scenes & Sketches
by Neon Knight Tue 23 Jan - 0:32

» Covid-19 in Europe
by Sary Sat 6 Jan - 2:04

» Xylitol - the ideal sugar substitute?
by Neon Knight Wed 20 Dec - 0:48

» Favourite Quotes - Wit & Wisdom
by Neon Knight Mon 20 Nov - 0:16

» Near-Death Experiences
by Neon Knight Sun 19 Nov - 23:34

» Early Fantasy Novels
by Sary Mon 16 Oct - 1:33

» Computer Simulated Life Experience
by OsricPearl Mon 9 Oct - 4:28

» Career change
by OsricPearl Mon 9 Oct - 4:16

» A normal explanation for some hauntings
by Neon Knight Sun 1 Oct - 1:15

» Alice Cooper dropped by cosmetics firm for trans comments
by Sary Mon 11 Sep - 12:44

» DNA Shared by Relationship
by Sary Sat 26 Aug - 2:10

» Inside Balkan Churches
by Neon Knight Sun 30 Jul - 23:59

» UK Migration Issues
by Neon Knight Mon 17 Jul - 1:36

» The Legendary Dogmen
by Neon Knight Sun 9 Jul - 22:57

» Ancient Archaeological Finds
by OsricPearl Thu 6 Jul - 15:11

» Time Slips
by Neon Knight Thu 22 Jun - 0:38

» European Monarchies
by OsricPearl Tue 9 May - 3:08

» Chesterton's Fence
by Neon Knight Thu 4 May - 16:18

» Physical Map of Europe
by Sary Sat 15 Apr - 0:31

» The maps of Europe and the USA compared
by Neon Knight Sun 12 Mar - 18:11

» John Titor - a time and dimensional traveller?
by Sary Wed 8 Feb - 0:03

» The Sex Pistols' notorious early appearance on TV
by Sary Tue 24 Jan - 2:39

» Responding to SJW Rhetoric
by Neon Knight Mon 9 Jan - 11:00

» Which countries should refugees go to?
by OsricPearl Thu 29 Dec - 15:53

» Spotting dark personality traits from faces
by Guest Wed 28 Dec - 23:16

» Victorian Christmas Traditions
by Neon Knight Fri 23 Dec - 19:13

» The mystery behind the Pied Piper story
by OsricPearl Wed 14 Dec - 4:00

» Saint Places
by OsricPearl Wed 14 Dec - 3:40

» Ancient Monuments
by Sary Fri 2 Dec - 3:30

» Personality traits linked to political orientation
by Neon Knight Tue 22 Nov - 13:49

» Rainbows in European Mythology
by Sary Sat 19 Nov - 19:45

Opinions on this Inception (movie) scene?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Opinions on this Inception (movie) scene? Empty Opinions on this Inception (movie) scene?

Post de Burgh Wed 29 Nov - 20:24

Generally speaking, I like movies that tackle interesting, thought provoking concepts that makes for good intellectual discussions. I would say Inception is one of my favorite movies that has a good mixture of intellectualism, good plot and well researched in its presentation of its plot.

Nevertheless, I find this scene interesting when it makes the correlation with projections of our subconscious with white blood cells; an instinctive countermeasure that reacts based on threatening stimuli/sensing of foreign anomalies. Which is why I wondered how it would be like with lucid dreaming? Where a person consciously projects themselves on a subconscious level where they are innately aware; possibly making the person an "architect" of their own choosing. Deciding when and where what the want to recreate out of their own choosing.

'The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piercing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age. [...]'
˜ H.P. Lovecraft
de Burgh
de Burgh
A knight of the castle

Male Posts : 127

Back to top Go down

Opinions on this Inception (movie) scene? Empty Re: Opinions on this Inception (movie) scene?

Post Neon Knight Thu 30 Nov - 18:35

A thought-provoking post which I'll come back to when I've got a bit more time Thumb-Up

Opinions on this Inception (movie) scene? Englan11

Between the velvet lies, there's a truth that's hard as steel
The vision never dies, life's a never ending wheel
- R.J.Dio
Neon Knight
Neon Knight
The Castellan

Male Posts : 2357

https://castle-europa.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Opinions on this Inception (movie) scene? Empty Re: Opinions on this Inception (movie) scene?

Post Sary Thu 30 Nov - 22:07

Inception is an awesome movie,one that I would not mind watching again,love love love Leonardo dicaprio!
The phenomenon of lucid dreaming has always been interesting to me. I have had lucid dreams for as long as I can remember, as well as occasional OBE. I read a book by Carlos Castaneda's when I was younger which made me want to experience deeper levels of lucid dreaming.
Scientifically ,I know that I am not traveling to different dimensions though it certainly feels that way when I am in that state. I don't take it too seriously.
Some people's brains are wired differently. Not everyone is capable of lucid dreaming,no matter how hard they try.
Lucid dreaming is a hybrid state between wake and REM sleep. The frontal lobe of the brain remains partially active during a lucid dream,so that the person is able to maintain a level of self awareness,during REM sleep. The sensory areas deep in the brain are hyperactive,sight,hearing ,touch,taste ,smell are amplified during the dream making the dream seem oh so very real.

As far as the correlation between white blood cells,threatening stimuli ,for me the two things that can stop a lucid dream in it's tracks are fear and logic.
Ironically those are also the two brain function that I often use to jump start one.
I must have built up an immunity?
Haha ....great topic de Burgh!

Sary
Sary
A lady of the castle

Female Posts : 1068

Back to top Go down

Post Neon Knight Sat 6 Jan - 7:57

Sorry, I forgot I'd said I'd reply to this.

I haven't seen that film but I'll make it a priority. Yes, in a lucid dream you are conscious within your own subconscious mind and, in my experience, you don't have complete control over the dreamscape. It's like a compromise between two creative forces. In one of my early lucid dreams I knelt down to feel the ground and it felt solid, just like a real paving stone.

In dreams generally, the characters we meet seem to have minds of their own. They say things that surprise us. Or do we know what they are going to say just a second before?

- R.J.Dio
Neon Knight
Neon Knight
The Castellan

Back to top Go down

Post Neon Knight Sat 6 Jan - 8:01

Have you seen this film?

- R.J.Dio
Neon Knight
Neon Knight
The Castellan

Back to top Go down

Post Sary Sun 7 Jan - 22:58

Neon Knight wrote:Have you seen this film?

Yes,I found the movie on you tube and watched it last night.
The film touched upon many different aspects of alerted consciousness,subconscious and lucid dreaming.
I especially liked the way it was a documentary, intervieing the different characters in the dream scape. I am usually afraid to interact with the beings that I encounter.
I feel inspired to start back up with my dream journal,
Sometimes I look around this forum.
I never joined,for fear that I would go too far down the rabbit hole.

http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/forum/
Sary
Sary
A lady of the castle

Back to top Go down

Post Neon Knight Tue 9 Jan - 0:02

Sary wrote:Sometimes I look around this forum.
I never joined,for fear that I would go too far down the rabbit hole.

http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/forum/

I've got four books on the subject:

Lucid Dreams - Celia Green

Wikipedia: "In 1968 Green published Lucid Dreams, a study of dreams in which the subject is aware that he or she is asleep and dreaming. The possibility of conscious insight during dreams had previously been treated with scepticism by some philosophers and psychologists. However, Green collated both previously published first-hand accounts and the results of longitudinal studies of four subjects of her own. She predicted that lucid dreams would be found to be correlated with the rapid eye movement (REM) stage of sleep, a prediction which was subsequently confirmed by experiment. Green also speculated that it might be possible to set up a rudimentary two-way signalling system between the lucid dreamer and a waking observer, a possibility which was subsequently realised, independently of each other, by researchers in two different laboratories."

The Dream Machine - Dr. Keith Hearne
Control Your Dreams - Gackenbach & Bosveld
Lucid Dreams in 30 Days - Harary & Weintraub

What you said about fearing to go too far reminded me of an account of a strange LD in the G&B book which I'll post here when I get round to it.

- R.J.Dio
Neon Knight
Neon Knight
The Castellan

Back to top Go down

Post Neon Knight Tue 9 Jan - 0:23

A similar experience is a false awakening when you believe you've woken up from sleep but you are actually still dreaming and then you really wake up . . . or do you? Smile 1

(Warning: moderate horror)

Spoiler:

- R.J.Dio
Neon Knight
Neon Knight
The Castellan

Back to top Go down

Post Sary Wed 10 Jan - 11:21

"Green also speculated that it might be possible to set up a rudimentary two-way signalling system between the lucid dreamer and a waking observer, a possibility which was subsequently realised, independently of each other, by researchers in two different laboratories."

The movie,Waking Life talked a little about dream telepathy,how all humans share a collective consciousness or unconsciousness. The idea that when somebody has a thought,and puts it out there,it can be picked up telepathically by other people, simply because we are all part of one whole,the universe.
Of course it is much more complicated ,quantum mechanics,and all that blah blah...way beyond my understanding. But you never know, maybe someday scientists will discover proof of our hidden senses and we will learn ways to communicate with each other without out words

Thanks for the book recommendations NK,dreaming has always been a subject of much interest to me.
Last night I had a very vivid dream about deer antlers......go figure LOL 1
Sary
Sary
A lady of the castle

Back to top Go down

Post Neon Knight Wed 10 Jan - 23:18

Sary wrote:The movie,Waking Life talked a little about dream telepathy,how all humans share a collective consciousness or unconsciousness. The idea that when somebody has a thought,and puts it out there,it can be picked up telepathically by other people, simply because we are all part of one whole,the universe.

Of course it is much more complicated ,quantum mechanics,and all that blah blah...way beyond my understanding.  But you never know, maybe someday scientists will  discover proof of our hidden senses and we will learn ways to communicate with each other without out words.
If that ended the culture of people walking around obsessing over their phones it would be a great thing. (Maybe.)

Last night I had a very vivid dream about deer antlers......go figure LOL 1
Oh deer! Reindeer

- R.J.Dio
Neon Knight
Neon Knight
The Castellan

Back to top Go down

Post Neon Knight Fri 16 Mar - 20:30

Neon Knight wrote:What you said about fearing to go too far reminded me of an account of a strange LD in the G&B book which I'll post here when I get round to it.

Here it is:

From Control Your Dreams (Gackenbach & Bosveld):

One may also find that the expansion of consciousness that sometimes accompanies a lucid dream is more than he or she can handle. Here’s an example from Vincent MacTiernan of New York. He is a sophisticated lucid dreamer who became so proficient that he attempted to solve math problems while asleep. In one lucid dream in which most of his attention was on solving a math problem he explains,    

"I began to feel great pressure in my eyes. It felt like the feeling you get when you spin around many times and get that slight headache or when you ride in a moving vehicle. I wasn’t too concerned though. The most unusual thing . . . was that with each correct answer, I felt my mind expand. The dream became more lucid and my peripheral vision was greatly enhanced. I also felt my dream body become more solid; I saw my hands and feet with much greater clarity.

What happened next scared me more than anything I ever experienced in my life. I found my consciousness so expanded that for a moment I could not tell if this was just a dream or [another] reality. The feeling was overwhelming. I became very frightened. Everything around me had become too clear to be just a dream, and it felt as if my physical body and mind were converging together with my dream body. It was very frightening. Something in the back of my mind told me that if I didn’t stop with the math problems and awaken soon, I would not be able to awaken at all, and I would die. This last word stuck heavy on me. I became very, very nervous and started to panic. I immediately dropped the paper and pencil and walked away from the desk. But walking this time was different from any I had experienced in a dream. This time I seemed to feel the weight of each foot as it hit the ground. Actual weight. It was like I was there in my physical body. I began to tremble. What was happening was too much for me to comprehend. I just wanted to wake up. When I tried, I found out that I could not. This scared me very badly. . .

Despite my efforts to wake up I found I still could not. Out of desperation I tried to focus my mind on my physical body. It worked. For an instant I saw my face, in bed, overlap my vision like a double exposure. I then felt my dream body—or more accurately  my mind—being sucked up into a vacuum and into a tunnel. The feeling was most unusual; I had never felt it before. This tunnel feeling was the closest thing I could think of to describe the experience. I then felt I was jerked into my physical body. When I awoke, I had that pressure in my eyes still, and it lasted most of the day. During the course of the day . . . I felt a new outlook on my life. I felt better to be alive than I ever had before."

- R.J.Dio
Neon Knight
Neon Knight
The Castellan

Back to top Go down

Post Sary Mon 19 Mar - 9:42

Neon Knight wrote:
Neon Knight wrote:What you said about fearing to go too far reminded me of an account of a strange LD in the G&B book which I'll post here when I get round to it.

Here it is:

From Control Your Dreams (Gackenbach & Bosveld):

One may also find that the expansion of consciousness that sometimes accompanies a lucid dream is more than he or she can handle. Here’s an example from Vincent MacTiernan of New York. He is a sophisticated lucid dreamer who became so proficient that he attempted to solve math problems while asleep. In one lucid dream in which most of his attention was on solving a math problem he explains,    

"I began to feel great pressure in my eyes. It felt like the feeling you get when you spin around many times and get that slight headache or when you ride in a moving vehicle. I wasn’t too concerned though. The most unusual thing . . . was that with each correct answer, I felt my mind expand. The dream became more lucid and my peripheral vision was greatly enhanced. I also felt my dream body become more solid; I saw my hands and feet with much greater clarity.

What happened next scared me more than anything I ever experienced in my life. I found my consciousness so expanded that for a moment I could not tell if this was just a dream or [another] reality. The feeling was overwhelming. I became very frightened. Everything around me had become too clear to be just a dream, and it felt as if my physical body and mind were converging together with my dream body. It was very frightening. Something in the back of my mind told me that if I didn’t stop with the math problems and awaken soon, I would not be able to awaken at all, and I would die. This last word stuck heavy on me. I became very, very nervous and started to panic. I immediately dropped the paper and pencil and walked away from the desk. But walking this time was different from any I had experienced in a dream. This time I seemed to feel the weight of each foot as it hit the ground. Actual weight. It was like I was there in my physical body. I began to tremble. What was happening was too much for me to comprehend. I just wanted to wake up. When I tried, I found out that I could not. This scared me very badly. . .

Despite my efforts to wake up I found I still could not. Out of desperation I tried to focus my mind on my physical body. It worked. For an instant I saw my face, in bed, overlap my vision like a double exposure. I then felt my dream body—or more accurately  my mind—being sucked up into a vacuum and into a tunnel. The feeling was most unusual; I had never felt it before. This tunnel feeling was the closest thing I could think of to describe the experience. I then felt I was jerked into my physical body. When I awoke, I had that pressure in my eyes still, and it lasted most of the day. During the course of the day . . . I felt a new outlook on my life. I felt better to be alive than I ever had before."

Yes, lucid dreaming can sometimes be very intense,this mans account sounds like his LD turned into an OBE.
With LD all 5 senses are heightened,you are in a secondary consciousness. There is no sense of the past or future, instead the mind turns inward to self awareness,abstract thoughts ,self reflection. It is an ideal state for problem solving and for some people it is a spiritual experience.
But sometimes you wake up from a LD you begin to wonder if the dream world is real....that is what I was referring to by too far. Looking too far into things that are not real.
Psychosis is the inability to separate reality from fantasy. The neurotransmitters that are released during REM sleep act as a sort of on off switch. When there is an imbalance in brain chemistry and these chemicals are released during the waking state that is when people experience delusional thoughts and hallucinations. There is no barrier dividing dreams from reality,psychotic people are literally dreaming while awake!

Now,here is something interesting. https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/dream-catcher/201107/sleep-deprivation-and-depression
Very often depression plays a big part in mental illness. The medications that are prescribed to treat depression are REM suppressing, people taking these drugs have a late REM onset and less total REM sleep. The build up of adenosine in the brain somehow helps lessen symptoms of sadness .
Scientists are looking into how sleep deprivation can be a benefit for depression.
Many people with depression claim to be insomniac,it is like they are instinctively treating their illness by avoiding their dreams!
Sary
Sary
A lady of the castle

Back to top Go down

Post Neon Knight Thu 22 Mar - 18:55

I remember talking to student colleague about sleep deprivation. We were saying that if you stay up very late and get past the sleepy stage into the next day you get a 'high' feeling.

I think that boy was a bit schizophrenic because I was talking to him on another occasion and he 'zoned-out' for a few seconds, suddenly not taking in what I was saying to him. In the final year it was believed he'd committed suicide as he went missing and his bike was found on a bridge over an estuary.

- R.J.Dio
Neon Knight
Neon Knight
The Castellan

Back to top Go down

Post Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top