Castle Europa
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Like/Tweet/+1
Latest topics
» Now listening to . . .
by Sary Thu 9 May - 22:23

» Physical Maps of Europe
by Neon Knight Wed 8 May - 18:17

» Political Dimensions Test
by Neon Knight Wed 8 May - 17:36

» Song Cover-Versions & Originals
by Neon Knight Sat 13 Apr - 0:19

» Minimum Drinking Ages
by Sary Mon 8 Apr - 19:17

» Religious Followings in Iran
by Neon Knight Sat 16 Mar - 3:00

» European Border Disputes
by Neon Knight Tue 5 Mar - 1:49

» Cat Vision
by Sary Wed 21 Feb - 2:00

» Cool Masculine Art
by Neon Knight Thu 15 Feb - 1:08

» Apparitions & Hauntings
by Neon Knight Wed 31 Jan - 9:33

» Beautiful Feminine Art
by Sary Wed 24 Jan - 0:03

» Monty Python Scenes & Sketches
by Neon Knight Tue 23 Jan - 0:32

» Covid-19 in Europe
by Sary Sat 6 Jan - 2:04

» Xylitol - the ideal sugar substitute?
by Neon Knight Wed 20 Dec - 0:48

» Favourite Quotes - Wit & Wisdom
by Neon Knight Mon 20 Nov - 0:16

» Near-Death Experiences
by Neon Knight Sun 19 Nov - 23:34

» Early Fantasy Novels
by Sary Mon 16 Oct - 1:33

» Computer Simulated Life Experience
by OsricPearl Mon 9 Oct - 4:28

» Career change
by OsricPearl Mon 9 Oct - 4:16

» A normal explanation for some hauntings
by Neon Knight Sun 1 Oct - 1:15

» Alice Cooper dropped by cosmetics firm for trans comments
by Sary Mon 11 Sep - 12:44

» DNA Shared by Relationship
by Sary Sat 26 Aug - 2:10

» Inside Balkan Churches
by Neon Knight Sun 30 Jul - 23:59

» UK Migration Issues
by Neon Knight Mon 17 Jul - 1:36

» The Legendary Dogmen
by Neon Knight Sun 9 Jul - 22:57

» Ancient Archaeological Finds
by OsricPearl Thu 6 Jul - 15:11

» Time Slips
by Neon Knight Thu 22 Jun - 0:38

» European Monarchies
by OsricPearl Tue 9 May - 3:08

» Chesterton's Fence
by Neon Knight Thu 4 May - 16:18

» The maps of Europe and the USA compared
by Neon Knight Sun 12 Mar - 18:11

» John Titor - a time and dimensional traveller?
by Sary Wed 8 Feb - 0:03

» The Sex Pistols' notorious early appearance on TV
by Sary Tue 24 Jan - 2:39

» Responding to SJW Rhetoric
by Neon Knight Mon 9 Jan - 11:00

» Which countries should refugees go to?
by OsricPearl Thu 29 Dec - 15:53

» Spotting dark personality traits from faces
by Guest Wed 28 Dec - 23:16

» Victorian Christmas Traditions
by Neon Knight Fri 23 Dec - 19:13

» The mystery behind the Pied Piper story
by OsricPearl Wed 14 Dec - 4:00

» Saint Places
by OsricPearl Wed 14 Dec - 3:40

» Ancient Monuments
by Sary Fri 2 Dec - 3:30

» Personality traits linked to political orientation
by Neon Knight Tue 22 Nov - 13:49

Brexit: EU gives May two weeks to act on divorce bill and Ireland

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Brexit: EU gives May two weeks to act on divorce bill and Ireland - Page 2 Empty Re: Brexit: EU gives May two weeks to act on divorce bill and Ireland

Post Aëlwenn Wed 22 Nov - 18:02

Magyar Lány wrote:Eight cities were vying to host the agency, which must leave London because of Brexit.

By FIONA MAXWELL 11/20/17, 7:30 PM CET Updated 11/20/17, 7:52 PM CET

Paris will be the new home of the relocating European Banking Authority, which is required to move from London following the Brexit vote.

A vote among the remaining 27 EU countries took place in Brussels on Monday to decide the future location of the EBA, as well as the European Medicines Agency — which is headed to Amsterdam.

Eight countries — Austria, Belgium, the Czech Republic, France, Germany, Ireland, Luxembourg, and Poland — had submitted bids for the EU’s banking regulator.

The voting was tight, with Frankfurt and Dublin joining Paris in the second round, before Frankfurt was knocked out, leaving France and Ireland locking horns. The final round saw a draw at 13-13, with lots resulting in a win for Paris.

Frankfurt was the original favorite to host the banking agency, but sources had told POLITICO that Paris had revved up its push to win the EBA in recent weeks.

Paris will be overjoyed at the result, which will aid its wish to become the new financial center of the EU with Brexit forcing London out of the bloc.

In a statement, the EBA welcomed the result: “This is an important decision for the Authority that guarantees a seamless continuation of its activities by reassuring its current and future staff over the new location and putting an end to a period of uncertainty. The EBA is confident that France will support the Authority to ensure a smooth transition.”

https://www.politico.eu/article/paris-wins-european-banking-authority/

City of love (and money.) Heart-throb 1

Many people are unaware of it but the sector that employs the most in Paris is finance, in front of tourism and technologies: P

The decision is rather logical, Paris already hosts the Banking Regulation Authority of the European Union.
The city is also the largest financial center of continental Europe and the second largest in Europe after London.
Defense is the largest business district in Europe in terms of area and surfaces, and the fourth most attractive in the world.
Paris also hosts the largest number of companies in Europe, and the largest number of companies in the Fortune 500 (third worldwide behind Beijing and Tokyo and ahead of London).

http://defense-92.fr/paris-la-defense/la-defense-quatrieme-quartier-daffaires-le-plus-attractif-au-monde-derriere-la-city-54653

It is also the third richest city in the world, behind Tokyo and New York.
I do not do a glorification of Paris (I could go further so this city is powerful), but it always make laugh the "city of love".

Not that I criticize those who say that, but it is very clearly a tourist expression.
Paris never, but really never in its history, was called "city of love".
The City of Arts and Sciences, yes.
The City of Lights, yes.
But never city of love, it is a cliché typically conveyed by American cinema, based on the famous photo of the American G.I. embracing a Parisian at the Liberation.
Few people know that the woman in question was unwilling.
The most famous and romantic clichés is that of harassment, and even aggression ...

It reminds me of Woody Allen's film, Midnight in Paris, where he erases all modern buildings in Paris, and all skyscrapers, because it does not correspond to the cliché of Paris that Americans have ...

Aëlwenn
Aëlwenn
La dame du château

Female Posts : 166

Back to top Go down

Brexit: EU gives May two weeks to act on divorce bill and Ireland - Page 2 Empty Re: Brexit: EU gives May two weeks to act on divorce bill and Ireland

Post Aëlwenn Wed 22 Nov - 18:27

Neon Knight wrote:
Aëlwenn wrote:The EU, contrary to what the British media thinks, is about to finish Brexit.
I think that many do not realize it, but in France, in Germany, in Belgium, no longer speak about Brexit.
We are just waiting for the end of negotiations to finish and move on to other things.
People do not care, and for the EU Brexit is a good thing, because the British government has too long been blocking the progress of many points in the EU, being a US troop horse, known by all other European leaders.
Most people here don't seem to care much either! I think we find it all a bit boring. But opinion is still evenly divided:
https://whatukthinks.org/eu/questions/if-a-second-eu-referendum-were-held-today-how-would-you-vote/

If we seem to support U.S. aims too often then that might be due to our common cultural values rather than anything else. But here are some surprising facts https://fullfact.org/europe/eu-facts-behind-claims-uk-influence/ :

The British government has voted against EU laws 2% of the time since 1999 . . . In other words, UK ministers were on the “winning side” 95% of the time, abstained 3% of the time, and were on the losing side 2%.

The UK has been in a losing minority more often over the past few years . . . That made it the country most likely to be on the losing side during the later period—the closest competitors were Germany and Austria, which were on the losing side 5.4% of the time.

This doesn’t tell us about how important the decisions were, though. The UK might have been on the winning side on all the issues it really cared about.

Aëlwenn wrote:Finally, I think that the British people (and I make a point of honor to differentiate it from their government that is unworthy lately), should seriously address the issue of the nuisance of its media.

People may not be aware of it, but the attitude of some British media undermines the image and the relationship with other countries. Newspapers like The Sun, The Telegraph, which do several articles filled with french bashing and german bashing, insulting other countries, spitting on the other leaders, this impacts the perception that others have of you (my marketting courses stand out xD).
The Sun is not a serious newspaper and most us realise this. The Telegraph is pretty good though, but left-wingers will be against it. I don't know if the British media is more xenophobic than that of other European countries - I've not noticed much of it myself.

Aëlwenn wrote:Finally, with the weakest growth this year among the G7 countries (USA, Japan, France, Germany, UK, Italy, Canada), the economic effects are starting to be felt.
There are already relocations of banks and insurance of the City towards Paris and Frankfort.
I think that the UK can get by in the long run, for that it has to restore trust with other countries (since it has since been seen as an unreliable partner), support even more its agriculture, very important to avoid the excessive dependence on imports, re-develop its industry (we have the same problem in France, because the UK and France have economies of services), facilitate the arrival of tourists by simplifying procedures and less restrictive for short stays (a few days), I had a chat with a member of our customer service team in England (who speaks excellent French luckily for me).
This is the unknown, but we must keep optimism.
In any case, I hope that it will be good for the British people, for whom I have the greatest respect and affection.

And one thing I love about Brexit: the will of the people has been respected.
As French, our government was unable to do so in 2005 when we said no to the European constitution.
And that, the other countries of Europe should be inspired by the UK on it.
Long live the Queen Smile 1
According to this, the UK is in a strong position in Europe and the world: http://henryjacksonsociety.org/2017/09/20/brexit-negotiations-uk-in-strong-position-as-its-the-most-capable-country-in-the-eu/

BRITAIN is negotiating Brexit from a position of strength because it is the most capable country in the EU, a detailed study revealed.

On a range of 35 criteria it comes second in the world only to the United States, said the report by The Henry Jackson Society (HJS) think-tank. It put the UK narrowly ahead of France and China in terms of “geo-political capability”, with Germany fifth, India sixth, Japan seventh and Russia eighth.

The study by James Rogers, director of the HJS’s Global Britain programme, analysed strengths such as the nations’ economies, technological prowess, military strength, diplomatic leverage, state of the population and cultural prestige. These factors enable the UK to have far greater influence around the world than almost all other nations.

But your point about democracy is the main thing and I agree. Even though EU membership is a complex matter it is right that the people of a nation should decide major constitutional issues. However, it would have been reasonable for a minimum referendum result of 55% for Brexit to happen. David Cameron handled it poorly.

But all this chaos could have been avoided if the EU leaders had let Britain take back control of immigration. Why did they not? Because they want to weaken national identities in their outdated, paranoid purpose of avoiding another Europe-wide war.

I think you're smart enough to understand that this study is typically to reassure you about Brexit.
A British study clearly partisan.
The UK is clearly not in a strong bargaining position, how can we believe that?
Japan to send the UK back to the wall saying that it prefers to negotiate treaties with the EU in priority, the same for Canada, for all the countries of the world in fact.
On the one hand, the UK and its market of 65M of inhabitant, 7th world economic power (India is to pass in front, even if I agree that these ranking of economic power are useless, in comparison with countries over 1 billion inhabitants), facing the EU and its market of 500M inhabitant, France and Germany, Italy, which are among the top 10 world economic power (4th, 5th and 9th).
France and its nuclear arsenal of 300 heads, which is in 2016 the second largest weapon vendor in the world, after the US and Russia for the very first time, thanks to its plural military industry (big mistake of the UK leaders to have grouped everything on BAE Systems).
It is therefore a military asset within the EU.

I'm not saying that the UK is weak, it's one of the most influential countries in the world, probably in the top 5, but it's clearly not in a strong position against the EU, with the Germany and France face her.

If we talk about global influence ....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4707250/France-overtakes-UK-world-s-soft-power.html

You will see that the UK will pay the bill, and will bow to the will of the EU if it still wants to have access to the EU's single market, but on condition of EU.

This is typically the kind of British arrogance that we find in the media.
Maybe you do not realize it as English, but the French bashing, and to a lesser extent the German bashing, of the British media is incessant and hurtful.
And I think that as a French I have enough experience on prejudices and clichés to convey by the Anglo-Saxon media about my people and country, and yes, I am saturated and I am tired.
I do not want to go into a war of who to the biggest, I find it stupid, but to read this kind of thing makes me tired.

here a link:

https://www.theguardian.com/law/2017/nov/20/no-british-judge-on-world-court-for-first-time-in-its-71-year-history
Aëlwenn
Aëlwenn
La dame du château

Back to top Go down

Brexit: EU gives May two weeks to act on divorce bill and Ireland - Page 2 Empty .

Post Vendég Wed 22 Nov - 19:07

Aëlwenn wrote:
Magyar Lány wrote:Eight cities were vying to host the agency, which must leave London because of Brexit.

By FIONA MAXWELL 11/20/17, 7:30 PM CET Updated 11/20/17, 7:52 PM CET

Paris will be the new home of the relocating European Banking Authority, which is required to move from London following the Brexit vote.

A vote among the remaining 27 EU countries took place in Brussels on Monday to decide the future location of the EBA, as well as the European Medicines Agency — which is headed to Amsterdam.

Eight countries — Austria, Belgium, the Czech Republic, France, Germany, Ireland, Luxembourg, and Poland — had submitted bids for the EU’s banking regulator.

The voting was tight, with Frankfurt and Dublin joining Paris in the second round, before Frankfurt was knocked out, leaving France and Ireland locking horns. The final round saw a draw at 13-13, with lots resulting in a win for Paris.

Frankfurt was the original favorite to host the banking agency, but sources had told POLITICO that Paris had revved up its push to win the EBA in recent weeks.

Paris will be overjoyed at the result, which will aid its wish to become the new financial center of the EU with Brexit forcing London out of the bloc.

In a statement, the EBA welcomed the result: “This is an important decision for the Authority that guarantees a seamless continuation of its activities by reassuring its current and future staff over the new location and putting an end to a period of uncertainty. The EBA is confident that France will support the Authority to ensure a smooth transition.”

https://www.politico.eu/article/paris-wins-european-banking-authority/

City of love (and money.) Heart-throb 1

Many people are unaware of it but the sector that employs the most in Paris is finance, in front of tourism and technologies: P

The decision is rather logical, Paris already hosts the Banking Regulation Authority of the European Union.
The city is also the largest financial center of continental Europe and the second largest in Europe after London.
Defense is the largest business district in Europe in terms of area and surfaces, and the fourth most attractive in the world.
Paris also hosts the largest number of companies in Europe, and the largest number of companies in the Fortune 500 (third worldwide behind Beijing and Tokyo and ahead of London).

http://defense-92.fr/paris-la-defense/la-defense-quatrieme-quartier-daffaires-le-plus-attractif-au-monde-derriere-la-city-54653

It is also the third richest city in the world, behind Tokyo and New York.
I do not do a glorification of Paris (I could go further so this city is powerful), but it always make laugh the "city of love".

Not that I criticize those who say that, but it is very clearly a tourist expression.
Paris never, but really never in its history, was called "city of love".
The City of Arts and Sciences, yes.
The City of Lights, yes.
But never city of love, it is a cliché typically conveyed by American cinema, based on the famous photo of the American G.I. embracing a Parisian at the Liberation.
Few people know that the woman in question was unwilling.
The most famous and romantic clichés is that of harassment, and even aggression ...

It reminds me of Woody Allen's film, Midnight in Paris, where he erases all modern buildings in Paris, and all skyscrapers, because it does not correspond to the cliché of Paris that Americans have ...

I know the picture, I've read that they made colour photo from the monochrome. This method made more visible the woman tried to resist. I always associated Paris with art and it consider a romantic city. Paris really is "The City of Lights."

Vendég

Back to top Go down

Post Aëlwenn Wed 22 Nov - 19:38

Again,it’s not against you Lany or people who uses this expression.
It’s just Paris hasn’t really romantic vibes.
For tourist who visit the historic centre, maybe.
But London too has romantic historic centre.
The Paris weather is pretty bad too. Sad, rainy and cloudy, very grey.
I’m eux-Parisian, and it’s amazing how the reality is far from different American movies.
When you coming into La Défense ( the biggest skyscrapers district in Paris) , the QCA ( quartier central des affaires) it’s business district in the heart of historic centre with Champs Élysées, Avenue Montaigne and all the fashion and luxury houses ( Chanel, Dior, Louis Vuitton) with many banks and insurances, the Opera ( business district with many tech company’s) , or the 15 th arrondissement, the 17th, the 13th, I don’t find the romantism.  It’s full of business people, money everywhere and supercar.
Even in the most iconic place like you can find commercial store everywhere, like Apple Store, etc etc.
I understand tourist or people from different country have fantasy vision of Paris, I think it’s like this for all cities around the world.
Paris is the third touristic city in the world after Bangkok and London, and the first for business tourism.
Personally, I find Vienna, Budapest, Amsterdam , Stockholm, Roma more romantics than Paris. London is more romantic too, but I have always been attracted with London historic centre.

Ps: sorry for mistake but my iPhone have auto corrector in french :/
Aëlwenn
Aëlwenn
La dame du château

Back to top Go down

Brexit: EU gives May two weeks to act on divorce bill and Ireland - Page 2 Empty .

Post Vendég Wed 22 Nov - 19:47

Aëlwenn wrote:Again,it’s not against you Lany or people who uses this expression.
It’s just Paris hasn’t really romantic vibes.
For tourist who visit the historic centre, maybe.
But London too has romantic historic centre.
The Paris weather is pretty bad too. Sad, rainy and cloudy, very grey.
I’m eux-Parisian, and it’s amazing how the reality is far from different American movies.
When you coming into La Défense ( the biggest skyscrapers district in Paris) , the QCA ( quartier central des affaires) it’s business district in the heart of historic centre with Champs Élysées, Avenue Montaigne and all the fashion and luxury houses ( Chanel, Dior, Louis Vuitton) with many banks and insurances, the Opera ( business district with many tech company’s) , or the 15 th arrondissement, the 17th, the 13th, I don’t find the romantism.  It’s full of business people, money everywhere and supercar.
Even in the most iconic place like you can find commercial store everywhere, like Apple Store, etc etc.
I understand tourist or people from different country have fantasy vision of Paris, I think it’s like this for all cities around the world.
Paris is the third touristic city in the world after Bangkok and London, and the first for business tourism.
Personally, I find Vienna, Budapest, Amsterdam , Stockholm, Roma more romantics than Paris. London is more romantic too, but I have always been attracted with London historic centre.

Ps: sorry for mistake but my iPhone have auto corrector in french :/

I never been to Paris or London. I don't have experiences, but I believe you. Wink 1

Vendég

Back to top Go down

Post Aëlwenn Wed 22 Nov - 20:00

I feel like horrible person now...
Maybe I’m too realist and I hope I don’t have destroyed your envy or desire to come here.
Aëlwenn
Aëlwenn
La dame du château

Back to top Go down

Post Vendég Wed 22 Nov - 20:06

Aëlwenn wrote:I feel like horrible person now...
Maybe I’m too realist and I hope I don’t have destroyed your envy or desire to come here.

You didn't write anything wrong, just your experiences. Of course you didn't destroy my desire. I would love to travel Paris & London one day. Smile 1

Vendég

Back to top Go down

Post Neon Knight Wed 22 Nov - 21:07

Aëlwenn wrote:I think you're smart enough to understand that this study is typically to reassure you about Brexit.
Japan to send the UK back to the wall saying that it prefers to negotiate treaties with the EU in priority, the same for Canada, for all the countries of the world in fact.
On the one hand, the UK and its market of 65M of inhabitant, 7th world economic power (India is to pass in front, even if I agree that these ranking of economic power are useless, in comparison with countries over 1 billion inhabitants), facing the EU and its market of 500M inhabitant, France and Germany, Italy, which are among the top 10 world economic power (4th, 5th and 9th).
France and its nuclear arsenal of 300 heads, which is in 2016 the second largest weapon vendor in the world, after the US and Russia for the very first time, thanks to its plural military industry (big mistake of the UK leaders to have grouped everything on BAE Systems).

I'm not saying that the UK is weak, it's one of the most influential countries in the world, probably in the top 5, but it's clearly not in a strong position against the EU, with the Germany and France face her.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4707250/France-overtakes-UK-world-s-soft-power.html

You will see that the UK will pay the bill, and will bow to the will of the EU if it still wants to have access to the EU's single market, but on condition of EU.

Maybe you do not realize it as English, but the French bashing, and to a lesser extent the German bashing, of the British media is incessant and hurtful.
And I think that as a French I have enough experience on prejudices and clichés to convey by the Anglo-Saxon media about my people and country, and yes, I am saturated and I am tired.
I do not want to go into a war of who to the biggest, I find it stupid, but to read this kind of thing makes me tired.

here a link:

https://www.theguardian.com/law/2017/nov/20/no-british-judge-on-world-court-for-first-time-in-its-71-year-history

Regarding the study that upset you a bit, I said "according to" because I am obviously in no position to judge myself; it might be a little biased toward Britain - fair comment. But whether biased or not, it made no great distinction between Britain and France in the ranking:

It put the UK narrowly ahead of France and China in terms of “geo-political capability”, with Germany fifth, India sixth, Japan seventh and Russia eighth.

Similarly, the study you quoted on soft power puts Britain and France next to each other:

The top five countries by order are France, Britain, US, Germany and Canada. Japan has risen to sixth place from seventh, Switzerland is seventh and Australia slips to eighth.

So there is no need there for any proud French person to feel offended - au contraire! Of course, such studies are for academic interest (good for an internet forum) and are not scientific-God's-honest-truth.

I don't think what the International Court or other international organisations say make much difference to the UK or any other major countries. When the UN inspector (Hans Blix) said (rightly) that there were no weapons of mass destruction in Iraq he was ignored and it was invaded anyway.

The economics of Brexit are complex and I don't think either side has anything to boast about, with much debt in the UK and the EU breaking its own financial rules to help Greece and save the Euro. But a German business group wants the UK to stay:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-42049565

A group of influential German business figures have launched a campaign to keep the UK in the European Union.

The alliance, dubbed a New Deal for Britain, includes three ex-presidents of the Federation of German Industry. One of the three, Heinrich Weiss, said: "With Britain, the EU is losing its most important ally in the fight for competitiveness."

They will lobby European governments to offer more concessions to the UK, in particular on immigration.

My interest in Brexit is actually a bit limited. I think whether Britain is in or out of the EU will make little difference to the way people live, and little difference to the really important issues of the environment, immigration and cultural identity.

Brexit: EU gives May two weeks to act on divorce bill and Ireland - Page 2 Englan11

Between the velvet lies, there's a truth that's hard as steel
The vision never dies, life's a never ending wheel
- R.J.Dio
Neon Knight
Neon Knight
The Castellan

Male Posts : 2368

https://castle-europa.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post Sary Wed 22 Nov - 21:57

I will be accompanying my daughter to England this March,5 nights in Oxford and 2 in London. I am very excited as this is my first trip to Europe. I am glad that I am learning about the different cultures from the members ,on this forum.

My bubble has been burst in regards to France,I guess that I bought into all of that city of love BS pale
Sary
Sary
A lady of the castle

Female Posts : 1079

Back to top Go down

Post Neon Knight Wed 22 Nov - 22:30

Sary wrote:I will be accompanying my daughter to England this March,5 nights in Oxford and 2 in London.  I am very excited as this is my first trip to Europe.  I am glad that I am learning about the different cultures from the members ,on this forum.

My bubble has been burst in regards to France,I guess that I bought into all of that city of love BS pale

This might surprise you, but it's a recognised phenomenon.

Brexit: EU gives May two weeks to act on divorce bill and Ireland - Page 2 Englan11

- R.J.Dio
Neon Knight
Neon Knight
The Castellan

Back to top Go down

Post Aëlwenn Wed 22 Nov - 22:55

Neon Knight wrote:
Aëlwenn wrote:I think you're smart enough to understand that this study is typically to reassure you about Brexit.

here a link:

Regarding the study that upset you a bit, I said "according to" because I am obviously in no position to judge myself; it might be a little biased toward Britain - fair comment. But whether biased or not, it made no great distinction between Britain and France in the ranking:

It put the UK narrowly ahead of France and China in terms of “geo-political capability”, with Germany fifth, India sixth, Japan seventh and Russia eighth.

Similarly, the study you quoted on soft power puts Britain and France next to each other:

The top five countries by order are France, Britain, US, Germany and Canada. Japan has risen to sixth place from seventh, Switzerland is seventh and Australia slips to eighth.

So there is no need there for any proud French person to feel offended - au contraire! Of course, such studies are for academic interest (good for an internet forum) and are not scientific-God's-honest-truth.

I don't think what the International Court or other international organisations say make much difference to the UK or any other major countries. When the UN inspector (Hans Blix) said (rightly) that there were no weapons of mass destruction in Iraq he was ignored and it was invaded anyway.

The economics of Brexit are complex and I don't think either side has anything to boast about, with much debt in the UK and the EU breaking its own financial rules to help Greece and save the Euro. But a German business group wants the UK to stay:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-42049565

A group of influential German business figures have launched a campaign to keep the UK in the European Union.

The alliance, dubbed a New Deal for Britain, includes three ex-presidents of the Federation of German Industry. One of the three, Heinrich Weiss, said: "With Britain, the EU is losing its most important ally in the fight for competitiveness."

They will lobby European governments to offer more concessions to the UK, in particular on immigration.

My interest in Brexit is actually a bit limited. I think whether Britain is in or out of the EU will make little difference to the way people live, and little difference to the really important issues of the environment, immigration and cultural identity.

Again, it’s not against you. I know you are smart and one of the best British person I know.
I have never read any offense from you.
And you know I have a crush with England, btw.
I don’t think France is stronger than Britain or whatever, I think they are equals,I’m not one of this Spanish warrior you find on some forum ( hello TA ).
And I find the cultural influence of Britain with a lot of musicians, writers and films.
And economically speaking Britain and France has always on the same side in ranked ( number 5 or 6) always playing yo-yo.

Of course some business group have interest, because tax.
But EU have less to lose than Britain, many important economics scientist said.
I
I don’t live in the past like some brits and french people who trust we are always at war.
I just find the study weird and false.

I personally thinking Brexit is a good thing about immigration and for your own control.
I thinking it’s hard for British economy, but people are voted with knowledge of that.
Aëlwenn
Aëlwenn
La dame du château

Back to top Go down

Post Aëlwenn Thu 23 Nov - 1:16

Sary wrote:I will be accompanying my daughter to England this March,5 nights in Oxford and 2 in London.  I am very excited as this is my first trip to Europe.  I am glad that I am learning about the different cultures from the members ,on this forum.

As a tourist, and if you do not go with a fantasy vision that some Americans have (not all) of a Paris like in the 1970s, then you will not be disappointed.
You must know that my opinion is that of a person who lived 4 years in Paris, I saw the daily life of the city.
The tourists are almost only the historic center, where are the monuments, Notre Dame de Paris, the Louvres, Montmartre, the Arc de Triomphe, the Eiffel Tower, the Sacré Coeur, etc. More and more (8 million last year) also visit the Defense, its density of towers is unique in Europe. In addition, it is a lively district, with shops, one of the largest shopping center in Europe (the 4 times), incubators start ups, laboratories and research center, rooftops bar on the skyscrapers , art exhibitions, markets, and about 40,000 inhabitants, it's far from being a lifeless business district after 6:00 pm as can be seen in Frankfurt or Canary Wharf.

The problem, and I'm not saying it's yours, but the report by industry professionals is that some American tourists come with the image of Paris movies, with the Eiffel Tower and MontMartre, the terraces cafes, and arrive as if it were a village.
And they find themselves in a megacity of 12M inhabitants (soon 14M with the officialization of Greater Paris), dynamic, active, with construction sites everywhere, and even the historic center has several very active business districts.
So yes, they take the reality in the face and can have a depression.
I prepare a topic on the cities, including one on Paris where I will explain more details, but this city is beautiful, one of the most beautiful in the world surely.
It's just multiple, plural, and if you go about accepting it, then it offers one of the most sublime experiences you'll ever have.

Some romantics place in Paris:

Brexit: EU gives May two weeks to act on divorce bill and Ireland - Page 2 231187176635101510675396076941439985614o
Brexit: EU gives May two weeks to act on divorce bill and Ireland - Page 2 6327001379959101516502546576941659722447n
Brexit: EU gives May two weeks to act on divorce bill and Ireland - Page 2 872830Capturedcran20171020025129
Brexit: EU gives May two weeks to act on divorce bill and Ireland - Page 2 731399CFSH14
Brexit: EU gives May two weeks to act on divorce bill and Ireland - Page 2 344392PC1105391
Brexit: EU gives May two weeks to act on divorce bill and Ireland - Page 2 8780583728467805566470ab6f9b
Brexit: EU gives May two weeks to act on divorce bill and Ireland - Page 2 599767wparisopera

And some less, like all cities I think :

Brexit: EU gives May two weeks to act on divorce bill and Ireland - Page 2 5793991437940806164930304662ed2fe55b5h1
Brexit: EU gives May two weeks to act on divorce bill and Ireland - Page 2 8652023938921722677cb2bc3db
Brexit: EU gives May two weeks to act on divorce bill and Ireland - Page 2 262251143769266906a868417dcb
Brexit: EU gives May two weeks to act on divorce bill and Ireland - Page 2 18909715073874706aab10257cab
Brexit: EU gives May two weeks to act on divorce bill and Ireland - Page 2 838076375409287049134bccc98b
Brexit: EU gives May two weeks to act on divorce bill and Ireland - Page 2 871766160829112653858373
Aëlwenn
Aëlwenn
La dame du château

Back to top Go down

Post Sary Sat 25 Nov - 11:21

Neon Knight wrote:

Thanks for diagnosing me,it took a few days but I am all better now Very Happy
Sary
Sary
A lady of the castle

Female Posts : 1079

Back to top Go down

Post Neon Knight Sat 25 Nov - 20:39

Sary wrote:
Neon Knight wrote:

Thanks for diagnosing me, it took a few days but I am all better now Very Happy

I've also successfully diagnosed food poisoning and repetitive strain injury over the internet  Grin & Tie (Not in the same person.)

- R.J.Dio
Neon Knight
Neon Knight
The Castellan

Back to top Go down

Post de Burgh Sun 26 Nov - 20:56

It sounds to me that the EU is acting on self-motivated, monetary incentives that it is trying to squeeze dry out of the U.K. The EU is merely an amalgamation of greedy bankers and political marxists using countries as their own personal punching bags to lead to ruin for their own petty gain. No different than the Frankfurt School of thought that promoted such extraneous principles. Marxism ever since the Bolshevik Revolution has been nothing, but a hindrance to society's stability and commerce. Marxism in today's day and age is hiding through bureaucratic, implicit means behind the scenes. Marxism is merely evolving with/integrating with our capitalist, globalized model nowadays. Using international organizations as platforms such a the EU to centralize countries in Europe into their schemes. Without self-sufficient, independent economies; countries will always be apart of the Marxist plot to bring forth their own "revolutions." These "revolutions" being weakened, severely emasculated countries with tons of debt. These Marxists target international Banking systems and politics as their stepping stones to promote these degenerated values by creating their own "social class." This "social class" manifesting through globalized elitism that seeks to destroy every culture on this planet as their own centralized, bank system to lead to ruin.

'The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piercing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age. [...]'
˜ H.P. Lovecraft
de Burgh
de Burgh
A knight of the castle

Male Posts : 127

Back to top Go down

Post Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top