Castle Europa
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Like/Tweet/+1
Latest topics
» Song Cover-Versions & Originals
by Sary Fri 22 Mar - 0:47

» Minimum Drinking Ages
by Sary Fri 22 Mar - 0:41

» Now listening to . . .
by Sary Mon 18 Mar - 0:26

» Religious Followings in Iran
by Neon Knight Sat 16 Mar - 3:00

» European Border Disputes
by Neon Knight Tue 5 Mar - 1:49

» Cat Vision
by Sary Wed 21 Feb - 2:00

» Cool Masculine Art
by Neon Knight Thu 15 Feb - 1:08

» Apparitions & Hauntings
by Neon Knight Wed 31 Jan - 9:33

» Beautiful Feminine Art
by Sary Wed 24 Jan - 0:03

» Monty Python Scenes & Sketches
by Neon Knight Tue 23 Jan - 0:32

» Covid-19 in Europe
by Sary Sat 6 Jan - 2:04

» Xylitol - the ideal sugar substitute?
by Neon Knight Wed 20 Dec - 0:48

» Favourite Quotes - Wit & Wisdom
by Neon Knight Mon 20 Nov - 0:16

» Near-Death Experiences
by Neon Knight Sun 19 Nov - 23:34

» Early Fantasy Novels
by Sary Mon 16 Oct - 1:33

» Computer Simulated Life Experience
by OsricPearl Mon 9 Oct - 4:28

» Career change
by OsricPearl Mon 9 Oct - 4:16

» A normal explanation for some hauntings
by Neon Knight Sun 1 Oct - 1:15

» Alice Cooper dropped by cosmetics firm for trans comments
by Sary Mon 11 Sep - 12:44

» DNA Shared by Relationship
by Sary Sat 26 Aug - 2:10

» Inside Balkan Churches
by Neon Knight Sun 30 Jul - 23:59

» UK Migration Issues
by Neon Knight Mon 17 Jul - 1:36

» The Legendary Dogmen
by Neon Knight Sun 9 Jul - 22:57

» Ancient Archaeological Finds
by OsricPearl Thu 6 Jul - 15:11

» Time Slips
by Neon Knight Thu 22 Jun - 0:38

» European Monarchies
by OsricPearl Tue 9 May - 3:08

» Chesterton's Fence
by Neon Knight Thu 4 May - 16:18

» Physical Map of Europe
by Sary Sat 15 Apr - 0:31

» The maps of Europe and the USA compared
by Neon Knight Sun 12 Mar - 18:11

» John Titor - a time and dimensional traveller?
by Sary Wed 8 Feb - 0:03

» The Sex Pistols' notorious early appearance on TV
by Sary Tue 24 Jan - 2:39

» Responding to SJW Rhetoric
by Neon Knight Mon 9 Jan - 11:00

» Which countries should refugees go to?
by OsricPearl Thu 29 Dec - 15:53

» Spotting dark personality traits from faces
by Guest Wed 28 Dec - 23:16

» Victorian Christmas Traditions
by Neon Knight Fri 23 Dec - 19:13

» The mystery behind the Pied Piper story
by OsricPearl Wed 14 Dec - 4:00

» Saint Places
by OsricPearl Wed 14 Dec - 3:40

» Ancient Monuments
by Sary Fri 2 Dec - 3:30

» Personality traits linked to political orientation
by Neon Knight Tue 22 Nov - 13:49

» Rainbows in European Mythology
by Sary Sat 19 Nov - 19:45

Reincarnation/Afterlife Possibilities

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Reincarnation/Afterlife Possibilities Empty Reincarnation/Afterlife Possibilities

Post Neon Knight Sun 1 Jul - 3:18

I recently finished reading this book:

Reincarnation/Afterlife Possibilities 51Awi-E2FrL._SX317_BO1,204,203,200_

The description as printed on the back cover:

This remarkable book builds on the ground-breaking investigations into reincarnation carried out by Professor Ian Stevenson at the University of Virginia. For forty years, doctors at this major American medical centre have conducted research into young children's reports of past-life memories. In Life Before Life, psychiatrist Dr Jim B. Tucker reveals their fascinating research, including:

* British twins whose birthmarks and behaviour closely resembles their deceased older sisters
* A boy in Africa who knows the names and personal details of everyone in another village without ever having been there
* A child who dies of a gunshot in a previous life and carries a birthmark of the same size, shape and placement in this life
* An American boy who believes he is the reincarnation of his own grandfather

This remarkable material will challenge and ultimately change your understanding about life and death.

The researchers have many carefully recorded cases, and try to be as scientific as possible. The overall explanation boils down to a choice between reincarnation, some kind of ESP or that all the people interviewed were lying in sophisticated ways for no good reason (they were not paid for their time).

Reincarnation/Afterlife Possibilities Englan11

Between the velvet lies, there's a truth that's hard as steel
The vision never dies, life's a never ending wheel
- R.J.Dio
Neon Knight
Neon Knight
The Castellan

Male Posts : 2357

https://castle-europa.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Reincarnation/Afterlife Possibilities Empty Re: Reincarnation/Afterlife Possibilities

Post Neon Knight Sun 1 Jul - 3:20

The University of Virginia web page for this subject:
https://med.virginia.edu/perceptual-studies/our-research/children-who-report-memories-of-previous-lives/
Quoting:

Some young children, usually between the ages of 2 and 5, speak about memories of a previous life they claim to have lived. At the same time they often show behaviors, such as phobias or preferences, that are unusual within the context of their particular family and cannot be explained by any current life events. These memories appear to be concordant with the child’s statements about a previous life.

In many cases of this type, the child’s statements have been shown to correspond accurately to facts in the life and death of a deceased person. Some of the children have birthmarks and birth defects that correspond to wounds or other marks on the deceased person whose life is being remembered by the child.  In numerous cases postmortem reports have confirmed these correspondences. Older children may retain these apparent memories, but generally they seem to fade around the age of 7.  The young subjects of these cases have been found all over the world including Europe and North America . . .

Statements made by a child who seems to be remembering a previous life can be quite varied. The following is not an exhaustive list by any means. It is designed to give an idea of the kinds of things a parent or caregiver might hear, and in our Western culture, tend to dismiss as fantasy. It is also true that a child might say one or more of these things and not be remembering a previous life. It is probably best not to pump a child for information, nor to try and prevent him or her from saying such things.

“You’re not my mommy/daddy.”
   “I have another mommy/daddy.”
   “When I was big, I …(used to have blue eyes/had a car, etc.).”
   “That happened before I was in mommy’s tummy.”
   “I have a wife/husband/children.”
   “I used to…(drive a truck/live in another town, etc.)”
   “I died … (in a car accident/after I fell, etc.)”
   “Remember when I …(lived in that other house/was your daddy, etc.)”

Please contact us if your child appears to be having memories of a previous life:

We are very interested in hearing about cases of young children who are currently spontaneously speaking about memories of a previous life.  If you are a parent or a caretaker of a young child, please contact us to submit your observations and experiences of your child’s behaviors and statements about memories of a previous life.

- R.J.Dio
Neon Knight
Neon Knight
The Castellan

Back to top Go down

Reincarnation/Afterlife Possibilities Empty Re: Reincarnation/Afterlife Possibilities

Post Sary Sun 1 Jul - 15:17

It is hilarious to me when people claim they were some famous/important person in a past life, I think it makes them feel superior to others.

When children say things about the past, that they should have no knowledge about, that does make me wonder.

When my son was around 5 years old , he had an imaginary older brother, that he would talk to. Some of the things that he would say would freak me out!
You see, I had lost a baby to miscarriage,before I had my son.
I probably should not have gone along with it, but I would pretend and talk to "Dennis" too ,because made me feel better.
I felt sad when Dennis went away....maybe he found a new family? Idk.
It is a very interesting subject.

I hope that reincarnation is not real, one life is enough. The thought of never ending rebirth sounds frustrating and exhausting!

Sary
Sary
A lady of the castle

Female Posts : 1070

Back to top Go down

Post Neon Knight Mon 2 Jul - 22:25

Sary wrote:I hope that reincarnation is not real, one life is enough. The thought of never ending rebirth sounds  frustrating and exhausting!
I know what you mean. Learning lots of basic skills and social niceties again and again. But if your memory of the previous life was wiped clear each time then you wouldn't notice. Repeated lives in different circumstances would even out the great unfairness of life - some people sail through with few problems while others have a terrible time of it or die young.

- R.J.Dio
Neon Knight
Neon Knight
The Castellan

Back to top Go down

Post Sary Tue 3 Jul - 0:15

The little that I have learned about reincarnation is from my two Hindu girlfriends.

One of them from southern India and is in an abusive marriage for 30 plus years ,both verbal and physical.  cheating as well.
She will never leave her husband,  because she thinks that she is paying for some past Karma.  She is sure in her next human form she will be rewarded, for her misery here on earth. She is getting what she deserves
She is the most caring, hardworking,loving person that you could possibly imagine.
It is very sad to watch.
She prays for death.

My other friend  is from the Brahmin caste, she is kinda like a guru to many people, very religious.
She has a loving husband, money, good kids and has all of the same personality traits of our first friend, if not more.
But, it is obvious that she thinks of herself as somehow above the other friend.

Also, many of  the Hindu beliefs in reincarnation are quite misogynic.

I don't know very much about the new age beliefs.
Sary
Sary
A lady of the castle

Back to top Go down

Post Neon Knight Fri 13 Jul - 0:19

This is about Jim Tucker's follow up book to the one above, Return to Life:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2509769/New-book-reveals-children-believe-reincarnated.html

But what happens if and when the human race comes to an end? Eventually, the sun will become so hot that Earth will be uninhabitable and they reckon the universe itself will eventually disappear. We could ask that about all religious explanations. But here are some opinions that everything is endlessly repeated in great cycles:

https://www.quora.com/Reincarnation-Will-the-Universe-repeat-itself-with-the-exact-history-again-and-again-Think-of-a-reason-you-might-get-Deja-Vu

- R.J.Dio
Neon Knight
Neon Knight
The Castellan

Back to top Go down

Post Sary Tue 24 Jul - 0:47

I like to look around this website, https://allaboutheaven.org/heaven/why-are-we-here/Reincarnation  
There is a lot of insight and information about different religions and human spirituality.
I have found comfort reading and learning about the topics that are covered, even if I don't believe all of it,  I always try to keep an open mind. I have faith that there is more to this life than what we see on the surface.

That is a very good question .... when the earth or the human race ceases to exist , what will become of all the disembodied higher spirits?

"Let us suppose ….. there are no more bodies in which souls that have grown too much involved in their bodily nature can incarnate.  Such souls lose the possibility of incarnation and find no other opportunity…. They are, as it were, too good for the bodies of a subordinate order and for the other bodies too bad.  They must therefore live a bodiless existence”
Sary
Sary
A lady of the castle

Back to top Go down

Post Neon Knight Thu 26 Jul - 22:16

When you see a teenager full of enthusiasm for life and think that 20 years ago he or she didn't exist, and in about another 70 years will not exist again, where is the meaning? Without some kind of afterlife there is no meaning.

It's perfectly reasonable for people not to believe in anything supernatural, but when the hard atheist says that a mortal life is still meaningful, I disagree.

- R.J.Dio
Neon Knight
Neon Knight
The Castellan

Back to top Go down

Post Sary Sat 29 Dec - 17:26

It is possible that genetic memory may be the reason why there are these convincing cases of children remembering events and places that they should have no prior knowledge of.

The idea that humans are born with innate knowledge passed on through our ancestors genetically, is a scientific explanation for this phenomenon.

It is easier for me to grasp, than reincarnation.

Sary
Sary
A lady of the castle

Back to top Go down

Post Neon Knight Mon 31 Dec - 0:42

I think the video is saying that when a person forms an emotional reaction to a certain stimulus or situation, such as being afraid when flying in a plane which was hijacked, a descendant could (speculatively) inherit the same way of reacting to those general situations. He or she wouldn't remember detailed scenes from the ancestor's life, but would inherit a basic subconscious collection of sounds and images which could trigger a panic response when boarding a plane for the first time.

But that process could co-exist with reincarnation.

A related thing: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/pa/article-6534233/Animal-lovers-empathy-hardwired-DNA-research-suggests.html  Quoting:

Scientists have uncovered a genetic difference in people who show greater compassion for animals. The difference lies in a gene that produces the hormone oxytocin – commonly known as the love hormone – which is known to boost social bonding between people. It is the first time the hormone has been linked to relationships between people and animals, researchers said, as they voiced hope the findings could help with the development of strategies to help improve animal welfare.

Experts at the University of Edinburgh’s Roslin Institute and Scotland’s Rural College (SRUC) analysed DNA from 161 student volunteers. They were also asked to complete a questionnaire to gauge their empathy towards animals. The team found those who showed the greatest compassion for animals had a specific version of the oxytocin gene. They also found women responded more positively towards animals than men, as did those working in a profession linked to animal care.

People’s attitudes towards animals are known to be influenced by a variety of social factors, such as early life experiences, personality traits and religious beliefs, researchers said. According to the team, this is the first time scientists have shown that genetics may also play a role.

Dr Sarah Brown, from the Roslin Institute, said: “We already knew that oxytocin was important for empathy between people but now we know it helps us bond with animals too.” Professor Alistair Lawrence, from the university and the SRUC, said: “This research is only the beginning but we hope that these findings could help us to devise strategies to help improve animal welfare across the UK.”

The study has been published in the journal Animals.

- R.J.Dio
Neon Knight
Neon Knight
The Castellan

Back to top Go down

Post Sary Tue 1 Jan - 3:17

When animals are brought into the equation of reincarnation, it is even more unbelievable to me. I studied a bit of eastern religion, because I find it fascinating but I guess that Catholic school made a forever impression on me.

I believe that there are different types of souls. The human soul is not the same as an animals spirit or for that matter,  the life of a plant.

It is nice to think that we get another chance, another go around, but odds are that this is it. One chance to get it right.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limbic_resonance

I guess that some people feel more comfortable loving animals, rather than people  Shrug Pets can provide unconditional "love"  they do not talk. They do not judge.
Sary
Sary
A lady of the castle

Back to top Go down

Post Neon Knight Wed 2 Jan - 23:49

In the religion class at high school I asked the teacher how the soul of a person who had died as a baby could be judged for its sins, and he replied that a baby is in a state of grace so it's soul goes straight to Heaven. But that raises the further question of at what age a person becomes 'spiritually responsible'.

The general idea of Divine judgment sounds flawed and harsh to me. Even by earthly laws, a cold-blooded murderer might only get 25 years in prison, but God (or Saint Peter) would sentence him to eternal suffering for the same crime. Even generally good people can occasionally do bad things. And we know there's a strong link between crime and deprived backgrounds, so is that taken into account? The Protestants say you only need to accept Jesus to be forgiven, which sounds like a Get Out of Hell Free card. The reincarnationist idea of having a long series of lives to learn spiritual wisdom makes more sense, but even there, why not just have perfect souls from the beginning who exist in constant happiness? I know of no religion which can satisfactorily explain the purpose of human existence.

- R.J.Dio
Neon Knight
Neon Knight
The Castellan

Back to top Go down

Post Sary Sat 5 Jan - 14:22

Yes, the idea of divine judgement does sound harsh.  I am hopeful that God is merciful.

During mass, Catholics still recite The Nicene creed, which foretells of the second coming of Christ.
When that time comes (the end of the world, resurrection of the dead ) there will be a general judgement, taking into account the circumstances of  each individual's sin.
Every person that ever lived has an immortal soul.

For now, Purgatory is the realm that most souls reside.  A place to purify and repent.
There are very few saints, souls pure enough to go directly to heaven.

Anyway.....this is the way I understand what will happen after death.  
I have gotten out of the habit of attending mass and I really need to start going back.  Worshiping is like exercise for the soul.  I always feel better spiritually when I regularly attend mass.

I only wish that the Catholic church would bring back the smells and the bells. The church I belong to now is much different than the one that I use to belong to as a child.
Sary
Sary
A lady of the castle

Back to top Go down

Post Neon Knight Sat 12 Jan - 3:30

I think one of the main reasons why the Catholic church is surviving better than the Protestant ones is that it has pretty much held on to its principles and not modernised much. And I agree that the atmospherics are an important part of religion - you don't have to be a believer to be moved by a half-lit stone church with statues and the smell of incense.

The other night I was reading a Quora question & answers about whether being mortal made life meaningless. An English teacher gave a reply I've heard before - that knowing life is temporary gives it urgency and passion and meaning, and that if life was for ever we would take it for granted and be bored. I disagree with this because I think boredom comes from a combination of high energy and low imagination and because our instincts generally keep us motivated. Imagine you had to choose one of the alternatives in each of these three cases:

1a. A life of 80 years, being happy 95% of the time and unhappy (moderately depressed) 5% of the time on average or
1b. Living forever (on earth and/or in some supernatural realm) and being happy for 50% of the time on average.

2a. A life of 80 years being happy for 95% of the time on average or
2b. Living forever and being happy for 25% of the time on average.

3a. A life of 80 years being happy for 95% of the time on average or
3b. Living forever and being happy for only 5% of the time on average.

In any of those cases, would you choose the mortal life of 80 years?

- R.J.Dio
Neon Knight
Neon Knight
The Castellan

Back to top Go down

Post Sary Tue 15 Jan - 0:35

80 years is a long life span for a human and  being happy 95% of 80 years....well that is a whole lot of happiness.  It is hard for me to believe that anyone can experience so much joy in this world that we live in.
Personally, I feel "happy" maybe half of the time. I have many things to be grateful for, but as I get older I seem to be preoccupied with death. It is very difficult for me to imagine myself being dead.
I was happier when I was young, even though my life was harder.
They say that the elderly have a much higher degree of the acceptance of death.  I hope that is true.

Being immortal would no doubt eliminate death anxiety, which some believe is the root of all anxiety.  Even still, life here on earth  is hard,  I don't think I would want to do this forever, even in a young healthy body.

I would rather have a short content life.
Sary
Sary
A lady of the castle

Back to top Go down

Post Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum