Castle Europa
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Like/Tweet/+1
Latest topics
» Song Cover-Versions & Originals
by Sary Fri 22 Mar - 0:47

» Minimum Drinking Ages
by Sary Fri 22 Mar - 0:41

» Now listening to . . .
by Sary Mon 18 Mar - 0:26

» Religious Followings in Iran
by Neon Knight Sat 16 Mar - 3:00

» European Border Disputes
by Neon Knight Tue 5 Mar - 1:49

» Cat Vision
by Sary Wed 21 Feb - 2:00

» Cool Masculine Art
by Neon Knight Thu 15 Feb - 1:08

» Apparitions & Hauntings
by Neon Knight Wed 31 Jan - 9:33

» Beautiful Feminine Art
by Sary Wed 24 Jan - 0:03

» Monty Python Scenes & Sketches
by Neon Knight Tue 23 Jan - 0:32

» Covid-19 in Europe
by Sary Sat 6 Jan - 2:04

» Xylitol - the ideal sugar substitute?
by Neon Knight Wed 20 Dec - 0:48

» Favourite Quotes - Wit & Wisdom
by Neon Knight Mon 20 Nov - 0:16

» Near-Death Experiences
by Neon Knight Sun 19 Nov - 23:34

» Early Fantasy Novels
by Sary Mon 16 Oct - 1:33

» Computer Simulated Life Experience
by OsricPearl Mon 9 Oct - 4:28

» Career change
by OsricPearl Mon 9 Oct - 4:16

» A normal explanation for some hauntings
by Neon Knight Sun 1 Oct - 1:15

» Alice Cooper dropped by cosmetics firm for trans comments
by Sary Mon 11 Sep - 12:44

» DNA Shared by Relationship
by Sary Sat 26 Aug - 2:10

» Inside Balkan Churches
by Neon Knight Sun 30 Jul - 23:59

» UK Migration Issues
by Neon Knight Mon 17 Jul - 1:36

» The Legendary Dogmen
by Neon Knight Sun 9 Jul - 22:57

» Ancient Archaeological Finds
by OsricPearl Thu 6 Jul - 15:11

» Time Slips
by Neon Knight Thu 22 Jun - 0:38

» European Monarchies
by OsricPearl Tue 9 May - 3:08

» Chesterton's Fence
by Neon Knight Thu 4 May - 16:18

» Physical Map of Europe
by Sary Sat 15 Apr - 0:31

» The maps of Europe and the USA compared
by Neon Knight Sun 12 Mar - 18:11

» John Titor - a time and dimensional traveller?
by Sary Wed 8 Feb - 0:03

» The Sex Pistols' notorious early appearance on TV
by Sary Tue 24 Jan - 2:39

» Responding to SJW Rhetoric
by Neon Knight Mon 9 Jan - 11:00

» Which countries should refugees go to?
by OsricPearl Thu 29 Dec - 15:53

» Spotting dark personality traits from faces
by Guest Wed 28 Dec - 23:16

» Victorian Christmas Traditions
by Neon Knight Fri 23 Dec - 19:13

» The mystery behind the Pied Piper story
by OsricPearl Wed 14 Dec - 4:00

» Saint Places
by OsricPearl Wed 14 Dec - 3:40

» Ancient Monuments
by Sary Fri 2 Dec - 3:30

» Personality traits linked to political orientation
by Neon Knight Tue 22 Nov - 13:49

» Rainbows in European Mythology
by Sary Sat 19 Nov - 19:45

Animals - News & General

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Animals - News & General - Page 3 Empty Re: Animals - News & General

Post Neon Knight Tue 10 Dec - 1:17

Raccoons seem like quite intelligent creatures and, I read, not very closely related to any other common mammals.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7755131/Prickly-situation-averted-Hedgehog-narrowly-escapes-crushed-recycling-plant-conveyor-belt.html  Quoting:

A lucky hedgehog miraculously escaped a prickly situation after being nearly crushed to death at a recycling plant near Stevenage, Hertfordshire. Eagle-eyed Michelle Wright was working at Herts Skiphire when she spotted the female hedgehog, dubbed Skippy, on a conveyor belt on Friday, November 29th. Ms Wright, 40, feared the hedgehog must have been dead because it had been through almost the entire recycling process. But incredibly the animal had survived despite being unloaded from a skip, picked up by a huge industrial grabber and being tossed around inside a trommel, a washing machine like device used to separate waste. Skippy even survived plummeting onto another conveyor belt before being picked up by Ms Wright.

Animals - News & General - Page 3 21836064-7755131-image-a-6_1575505017032

Ms Wright said: 'She must have been protected by something in there, going through the trommel is like going on a fairground ride going round and round and you've got to keep running to keep up with it. In there are bricks, hardcore and things which are very heavy. When she had dropped on our belt, at first I thought she was dead, and maybe someone had put the body in a skip. But when I picked her up she sort of looked at me and rolled up into a ball. We found a cardboard box for her in our staff room and she was moving around in there, so we rang round for a rescue centre.'

Now Skippy is safe in the care of London Colney Hedgehog Rescue and amazingly owner Esther Chant said despite her ordeal, Skippy has no broken bones or spines. She said: 'She's a very lucky hedgehog, we put it out there for our followers to name her and Skippy seemed like the best name.

Animals - News & General - Page 3 21808810-7755131-image-a-94_1575464763331

Skippy is being cared for by Esther Chant (above) at London Colney Hedgehog Rescue. The female hedgehog is 'eating well' and has 'not decided' to hibernate

Animals - News & General - Page 3 Englan11

Between the velvet lies, there's a truth that's hard as steel
The vision never dies, life's a never ending wheel
- R.J.Dio
Neon Knight
Neon Knight
The Castellan

Male Posts : 2357

https://castle-europa.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post Neon Knight Mon 27 Apr - 22:03

- R.J.Dio
Neon Knight
Neon Knight
The Castellan

Back to top Go down

Post Sary Fri 1 May - 23:47

Oh my gosh . . . that little thief is very fast and adept at not dropping his booty!
Fox are very beautiful animals, kind of a cat dog hybrid. I see them around here from time to time but, they are very skittish and quick to run away.

I have been having my own personal battle against a very cocky, big fat grey squirrel that will not stay out of my bird feeder  Bad Mood
Grey squirrels are very abundant around here, some people call them tree rats and I can understand why.

Animals - News & General - Page 3 7103a810

Animals - News & General - Page 3 Fp_fla13
Sary
Sary
A lady of the castle

Female Posts : 1070

Back to top Go down

Post Neon Knight Sat 11 Jul - 2:45

Grey Squirrels were introduced to Britain from America in the 1870s:
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/earth/wildlife/10705527/History-of-grey-squirrels-in-UK.html

News of a very different animal which would probably not go in your bird-feeder (but would wreck it if it did!) . . .

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-8507093/Wild-BISON-roam-British-woodland-time-thousands-years.html  Quoting:

Four wild bison will be released into woodland in Kent by spring 2022 as part of a plan to naturally boost Britain's wildlife habitats. The European bison will live in a cordoned-off area of Blean Woods near Canterbury, close to the University of Kent campus. Although they are thought to have grazed here thousands of years ago, no bison bones have ever been found under our soil. Their bones have, however, turned up under the North Sea from nearly 12,000 years ago on Doggerland - the land bridge that connected the UK to Europe.

The lottery-funded project, led by Kent Wildlife Trust and the Wildwood Trust, aims to use the grazing 6ft-tall beasts, which can weigh up to 1,000kg (2,200lbs), to help rejuvenate the native woodlands. The European bison, the continent's largest land mammal, is known as an 'ecosystem engineer' because of its ability to create and improve habitats for other species. It's also the closest living relative to ancient steppe bison that once roamed Britain, becoming extinct at the end of the last Ice Age 10,000 years ago . . .

It will be the first time bison have been introduced to a nature reserve to help woodland thrive in the UK. 'The partners in this project have long dreamt of restoring the true wild woodlands that have been missing from England for too long,' said Paul Whitfield, Director General of Wildwood Trust . . .

Similar projects across the continent since 2000 have already seen the successfully reintroduced in Poland, Romania and the Netherlands. Bison are particularly useful as a form of natural environment control because of the unique way in which they graze. They prefer bark to other parts of plants and trees, which is the opposite to many other large herbivores . . . 'Using missing keystone species like bison to restore natural processes to habitats is the key to creating bio-abundance in our landscape,' said Paul Hadaway, director of Conservation at Kent Wildlife Trust.

- R.J.Dio
Neon Knight
Neon Knight
The Castellan

Back to top Go down

Post Sary Sun 24 Apr - 0:26

I tried to find an update on the wild bison, but couldn’t find anything.  They are very large animals that need a lot of habitat. I imagine that they could adapt and thrive so long as people leave them alone. Every once in a while there will be a moose sighting around here.

Check out this crow, he is so smart!

Did it you know that there are over 9000 different species of birds?  I think that if I ever have to reincarnate into an animal, it would want to be a bird Smile 1

Sary
Sary
A lady of the castle

Back to top Go down

Post Neon Knight Wed 27 Apr - 14:02

Crows are some of my favourite birds. In Britain we have carrion crows (common), ravens, rooks, jackdaws, jays and magpies (common). Hooded crows and choughs too but I've not seen them. Drawings by an artist called Jane Tomlinson:
Animals - News & General - Page 3 Britis10

I'm not a fan of little dogs but this is a good story - https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10735159/Familys-new-truffle-hunting-puppy-digs-15-sovereign-coins-worth-6-000-walk.html  Quoting:

A family's new truffle-hunting puppy is already worth its weight in gold after digging up 15 sovereign coins worth £6,000 on its first walk.  

Adam Clark, 51, bought Ollie, a lagotto romagnolo, as a surprise for his daughter Alicia, nine, last month. The breed is notorious for digging - especially for truffles - and on March 30 the young dog stumbled upon a small fortune during its first walk around the local fields. To Mr Clark's delight and utter disbelief, Ollie instinctively dug up a total of 15 gold sovereign pieces likely dating back to the nineteenth century.

Mr Clark, who works in property, took the gold coins to be examined by Chards - one of the leading gold dealers in the country - who valued them at a staggering £5,943.96. The landlord is thrilled with the return from the treasure, but believes the real prize is Ollie himself, dubbing the new family pet his very own 'gold hunter'.

Mr Clark, from Blackpool, Lancashire, said: 'When we got him we thought he seemed special. Alicia was over the moon and we couldn't wait to take him out for his first walk around the gala fields. We'd literally been walking for around ten minutes when Ollie suddenly stopped and started frantically digging away at the soil. That's when he uncovered the pile of gold pieces - I couldn't quite believe it.'

'The treasure is one thing, but, the fact is, I've bought myself my very own gold hunter, and I cannot wait to take him out again. He is obviously a very special pup and I'm thrilled with what he brings to the table - quite literally.'

Chards Coin and Bullion Dealer, a family-run business, is located in Blackpool.

- R.J.Dio
Neon Knight
Neon Knight
The Castellan

Back to top Go down

Post Sary Sat 30 Jul - 13:09

Small dogs can be somewhat high strung and difficult to train, but they have many positive traits as well. I think that they are smarter than large dogs, they have a longer life span and looking at Ollie, you have to admit that they are awfully cute!

This is an interesting article about the origin of the Chincoteague ponies.

Beloved Chincoteague ponies' mythical origins may be real
The discovery of a fossil horse tooth in Haiti has given surprising credence to the idea the horses escaped from a Spanish shipwreck off Virginia around 1750.

https://www.nationalgeographic.co.uk/animals/2022/07/beloved-chincoteague-ponies-mythical-origins-may-be-real
Animals - News & General - Page 3 61488a10

Last Wednesday, after a two year hiatus because of the Covid-19 pandemic,  the Chincoteague ponies made the swim across the Assateague channel to Chinoteague Island.
The annual swim draws people from all over the world, with a week filled with festivities and fun celebrating the beloved ponies.

https://www.chincoteague.com/pony_swim_guide.html

Horses I think are one of my favorite animals, they are noble, strong and graceful.

Sary
Sary
A lady of the castle

Back to top Go down

Post Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Back to top