Castle Europa
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Like/Tweet/+1
Latest topics
» Now listening to . . .
by Sary Yesterday at 0:26

» Religious Followings in Iran
by Neon Knight Sat 16 Mar - 3:00

» Minimum Drinking Ages
by Neon Knight Sat 16 Mar - 2:55

» Song Cover-Versions & Originals
by Neon Knight Tue 5 Mar - 22:43

» European Border Disputes
by Neon Knight Tue 5 Mar - 1:49

» Cat Vision
by Sary Wed 21 Feb - 2:00

» Cool Masculine Art
by Neon Knight Thu 15 Feb - 1:08

» Apparitions & Hauntings
by Neon Knight Wed 31 Jan - 9:33

» Beautiful Feminine Art
by Sary Wed 24 Jan - 0:03

» Monty Python Scenes & Sketches
by Neon Knight Tue 23 Jan - 0:32

» Covid-19 in Europe
by Sary Sat 6 Jan - 2:04

» Xylitol - the ideal sugar substitute?
by Neon Knight Wed 20 Dec - 0:48

» Favourite Quotes - Wit & Wisdom
by Neon Knight Mon 20 Nov - 0:16

» Near-Death Experiences
by Neon Knight Sun 19 Nov - 23:34

» Early Fantasy Novels
by Sary Mon 16 Oct - 1:33

» Computer Simulated Life Experience
by OsricPearl Mon 9 Oct - 4:28

» Career change
by OsricPearl Mon 9 Oct - 4:16

» A normal explanation for some hauntings
by Neon Knight Sun 1 Oct - 1:15

» Alice Cooper dropped by cosmetics firm for trans comments
by Sary Mon 11 Sep - 12:44

» DNA Shared by Relationship
by Sary Sat 26 Aug - 2:10

» Inside Balkan Churches
by Neon Knight Sun 30 Jul - 23:59

» UK Migration Issues
by Neon Knight Mon 17 Jul - 1:36

» The Legendary Dogmen
by Neon Knight Sun 9 Jul - 22:57

» Ancient Archaeological Finds
by OsricPearl Thu 6 Jul - 15:11

» Time Slips
by Neon Knight Thu 22 Jun - 0:38

» European Monarchies
by OsricPearl Tue 9 May - 3:08

» Chesterton's Fence
by Neon Knight Thu 4 May - 16:18

» Physical Map of Europe
by Sary Sat 15 Apr - 0:31

» The maps of Europe and the USA compared
by Neon Knight Sun 12 Mar - 18:11

» John Titor - a time and dimensional traveller?
by Sary Wed 8 Feb - 0:03

» The Sex Pistols' notorious early appearance on TV
by Sary Tue 24 Jan - 2:39

» Responding to SJW Rhetoric
by Neon Knight Mon 9 Jan - 11:00

» Which countries should refugees go to?
by OsricPearl Thu 29 Dec - 15:53

» Spotting dark personality traits from faces
by Guest Wed 28 Dec - 23:16

» Victorian Christmas Traditions
by Neon Knight Fri 23 Dec - 19:13

» The mystery behind the Pied Piper story
by OsricPearl Wed 14 Dec - 4:00

» Saint Places
by OsricPearl Wed 14 Dec - 3:40

» Ancient Monuments
by Sary Fri 2 Dec - 3:30

» Personality traits linked to political orientation
by Neon Knight Tue 22 Nov - 13:49

» Rainbows in European Mythology
by Sary Sat 19 Nov - 19:45

Drugs in Nazi Germany (book review)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Drugs in Nazi Germany (book review) Empty Drugs in Nazi Germany (book review)

Post Neon Knight Mon 19 Jun - 22:14

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/books/article-3836943/Luftwaffe-pilots-blitzed-crystal-meth-Goering-injecting-morphine-gold-syringe-Fuhrer-arms-junkie-drugs-fuelled-Nazis-High-Hitler.html

The rush was almost instantaneous. ‘Euphoria,’ they reported back later, ‘alertness, freshness, intensification of performance, thirst for action.’ They couldn’t get enough of their doses of methamphetamine, the ‘upper’, which today is commonly known as crystal meth. They didn’t need sleep. They buzzed all over. ‘I’m wide awake. My heartbeat thunders in my ears. Everything becomes immaterial and abstract. The light is so bright I can hardly bear the brilliance.’

. . . these descriptions of drug-taking are from soldiers and airmen of Nazi Germany as they invaded and conquered Poland in a lightning-swift attack back in 1939. As the tanks, troops and planes swarmed across the border, there was no time for rest. Medical officers doled out performance-enhancing, mind-bending tablets by the bucket-load to keep men awake, alert and focused. It has long been known that figures at the top of the Nazi hierarchy were serious drug-takers. The Luftwaffe chief, Hermann Goering, was addicted to morphine, and the Fuhrer himself had massive doses of stimulants injected into him on a daily basis. But much the same, it now seems, went for those they commanded. Poland fell in a matter of days to Nazi troops high on the German-invented, factory-produced amphetamine called Pervitin.

According to this book by German author Norman Ohler, the whole of the Third Reich was awash with narcotics. The apt title of Blitzed sums up how drugged up he believes that nation was as it fought and lost World War II.

. . . At the Temmler pharmaceuticals factory near Berlin, chemists turned out synthetic ‘happy pills’ by the millions. Their active ingredient was an artificial form of adrenalin, which acted like a firework going off in the brain. It upped energy levels, gave confidence, boosted libido. Pretty soon in booming Germany, everyone in industry, business or at home was upping his or her game by downing pills. They worked on menopausal women, new mums with the baby blues and hay fever sufferers. You could even buy chocolates that were spiked with it. Side-effects from prolonged use — listlessness, joylessness and depression — were downplayed. And when the country went to war in 1939 and into situations of even greater stress, naturally the drug went, too.

. . . Senior military doctors were big fans. ‘Excellent for rousing a weary squad,’ wrote one. Those in combat agreed. The drug switched off inhibitions as well as fatigue. Gruesome tasks were more easily done. Its positives in the Poland campaign were an argument for its use in Hitler’s next ‘blitzkrieg’ attack — the invasion of Belgium and France in May 1940. Three weeks before it was launched, a so-called ‘stimulant decree’ went out to field regiments: one tablet a day and two at night and a man could go for 24 hours or more without sleep. The only side-effect might be ‘belligerence’ — and what was wrong with that?

. . . To be fair, Germany’s fighting men were not alone in their use of stimulants. British air crews swallowed what they called ‘wakey-wakey’ pills before setting out on long-distance bombing missions to Germany. But these were Benzedrine, also an amphetamine, but much less potent than crystal meth. Nor did the habit spread to the civilian population here, which had only tea, cigarettes and watered beer to settle its nerves.

. . . Hitler was increasingly pumping himself full of weird substances to keep his flagging health from caving in, all concocted by his personal doctor, Theodor Morell, and injected into the Fuhrer many times a day. Eva Braun, Mussolini, Himmler, Ribbentrop, Speer and Goering’s wife were also on Morell’s books.

. . . From late 1943, he [Hitler] was on frequent doses of Eukodal, an opiate that gave a bigger kick than heroin. It gave him ludicrously optimistic highs — in which he maintained he could still rule the world — followed by deep depressions, where he lashed out at all those around him for disloyalty.

Drugs in Nazi Germany (book review) Englan11

Between the velvet lies, there's a truth that's hard as steel
The vision never dies, life's a never ending wheel
- R.J.Dio
Neon Knight
Neon Knight
The Castellan

Male Posts : 2357

https://castle-europa.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Drugs in Nazi Germany (book review) Empty Re: Drugs in Nazi Germany (book review)

Post Rumata Tue 20 Jun - 7:57

During WW2, in Soviet army it was vodka (100-200 gramm) which was given at hard times, before attacks etc. Unsurprisingly, its effect was complex and dubious.
Rumata
Rumata
Рыцарь замка

Male Posts : 7

Back to top Go down

Drugs in Nazi Germany (book review) Empty Re: Drugs in Nazi Germany (book review)

Post Jehan I Sun 9 Jul - 14:07

Rumata wrote:During WW2, in Soviet army it was vodka (100-200 gramm) which was given at hard times, before attacks etc. Unsurprisingly, its effect was complex and dubious.

During WWI, strong alcool were also distribut to soldier in the trench. From what I read it was calculate to take inhibition off the soldiers without alter his physical skills.

I also heard about this theory of nazi soldiers drug during the attack of France.
No idea if it's true or that's just a try to explain how tey fuck us so hard in so little time.
Jehan I
Jehan I
Un chevalier du château

Male Posts : 194

Back to top Go down

Post Rumata Sun 9 Jul - 17:09

Jehan I wrote:During WWI, strong alcool were also distribut to soldier in the trench. From what I read it was calculate to take inhibition off the soldiers without alter his physical skills.
I've read that recklessness which was consequence of alcohol consumption made soldiers easier targets. So many soldiers who had experience preferred to abstain.
Rumata
Rumata
Рыцарь замка

Male Posts : 7

Back to top Go down

Post Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top