Castle Europa
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Like/Tweet/+1
Latest topics
» Song Cover-Versions & Originals
by Sary Fri 22 Mar - 0:47

» Minimum Drinking Ages
by Sary Fri 22 Mar - 0:41

» Now listening to . . .
by Sary Mon 18 Mar - 0:26

» Religious Followings in Iran
by Neon Knight Sat 16 Mar - 3:00

» European Border Disputes
by Neon Knight Tue 5 Mar - 1:49

» Cat Vision
by Sary Wed 21 Feb - 2:00

» Cool Masculine Art
by Neon Knight Thu 15 Feb - 1:08

» Apparitions & Hauntings
by Neon Knight Wed 31 Jan - 9:33

» Beautiful Feminine Art
by Sary Wed 24 Jan - 0:03

» Monty Python Scenes & Sketches
by Neon Knight Tue 23 Jan - 0:32

» Covid-19 in Europe
by Sary Sat 6 Jan - 2:04

» Xylitol - the ideal sugar substitute?
by Neon Knight Wed 20 Dec - 0:48

» Favourite Quotes - Wit & Wisdom
by Neon Knight Mon 20 Nov - 0:16

» Near-Death Experiences
by Neon Knight Sun 19 Nov - 23:34

» Early Fantasy Novels
by Sary Mon 16 Oct - 1:33

» Computer Simulated Life Experience
by OsricPearl Mon 9 Oct - 4:28

» Career change
by OsricPearl Mon 9 Oct - 4:16

» A normal explanation for some hauntings
by Neon Knight Sun 1 Oct - 1:15

» Alice Cooper dropped by cosmetics firm for trans comments
by Sary Mon 11 Sep - 12:44

» DNA Shared by Relationship
by Sary Sat 26 Aug - 2:10

» Inside Balkan Churches
by Neon Knight Sun 30 Jul - 23:59

» UK Migration Issues
by Neon Knight Mon 17 Jul - 1:36

» The Legendary Dogmen
by Neon Knight Sun 9 Jul - 22:57

» Ancient Archaeological Finds
by OsricPearl Thu 6 Jul - 15:11

» Time Slips
by Neon Knight Thu 22 Jun - 0:38

» European Monarchies
by OsricPearl Tue 9 May - 3:08

» Chesterton's Fence
by Neon Knight Thu 4 May - 16:18

» Physical Map of Europe
by Sary Sat 15 Apr - 0:31

» The maps of Europe and the USA compared
by Neon Knight Sun 12 Mar - 18:11

» John Titor - a time and dimensional traveller?
by Sary Wed 8 Feb - 0:03

» The Sex Pistols' notorious early appearance on TV
by Sary Tue 24 Jan - 2:39

» Responding to SJW Rhetoric
by Neon Knight Mon 9 Jan - 11:00

» Which countries should refugees go to?
by OsricPearl Thu 29 Dec - 15:53

» Spotting dark personality traits from faces
by Guest Wed 28 Dec - 23:16

» Victorian Christmas Traditions
by Neon Knight Fri 23 Dec - 19:13

» The mystery behind the Pied Piper story
by OsricPearl Wed 14 Dec - 4:00

» Saint Places
by OsricPearl Wed 14 Dec - 3:40

» Ancient Monuments
by Sary Fri 2 Dec - 3:30

» Personality traits linked to political orientation
by Neon Knight Tue 22 Nov - 13:49

» Rainbows in European Mythology
by Sary Sat 19 Nov - 19:45

Ancient Archaeological Finds

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Ancient Archaeological Finds Empty Giant statue of pharaoh unearthed in Egypt

Post Neon Knight Tue 11 Apr - 23:05

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2017/03/egypt-pharaoh-ramses-statue-discovered-cairo/

Ancient Archaeological Finds 01_ramses_discovery_egypt.ngsversion.1489150803557.adapt.676.1

Archaeologists from Egypt and Germany have discovered the remains of an ancient Egyptian statue they believe could depict one of history's most famous rulers. The likeness of what may be Pharaoh Ramses II was found submerged in groundwater in a working-class neighborhood of Cairo.

The 26-foot statue is made of quartzite and could be up to 3,000 years old. The Antiquities Ministry in Egypt is hailing the discovery as significant. The remains lack an inscription bearing the pharaoh's name, but the discovery's proximity to a temple devoted to Ramses suggest the statue is of his likeness, the ministry says.

Ancient Archaeological Finds Englan11

Between the velvet lies, there's a truth that's hard as steel
The vision never dies, life's a never ending wheel
- R.J.Dio
Neon Knight
Neon Knight
The Castellan

Male Posts : 2357

https://castle-europa.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Ancient Archaeological Finds Empty Iron Age chariot & horse skeletons unearthed in Yorkshire, England

Post Neon Knight Sun 7 May - 22:52

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-4363618/Iron-Age-chariot-two-horse-Yorkshire.html

An Iron Age chariot and two horse skeletons have been unearthed at a Yorkshire building site. The 2,500-year-old remains have been dubbed by experts as 'highly unusual'. The find, described as being of 'international significance', is the first of its kind in the last 200 years and one of only 26 ever excavated in the UK . . .

Paula Ware, from MAP Archaeological Practice, told BBC News that the find could shed more light on Iron Age burial rituals. She said that the positioning and close proximity of the horses to the chariot suggests they played a key role in the burial ceremony. Ms Ware added that the 'rare discovery' would help researchers better understand the Arras culture - a group of people who lived in the region at the time  . . .

Many people of the period were farmers, growing growing wheat, barley and beans along with animals such as cattle, sheep and pigs. The Arras culture is associated with east Yorkshire and is defined by its strange burial practices, which include burials in round and square graves. Burials with chariots were reserved for the rich and powerful members of Arras society. Much about Iron Age culture is not known because cremation burials were popular at the time, so Arras burials offers a unique insight into Iron Age life.

- R.J.Dio
Neon Knight
Neon Knight
The Castellan

Back to top Go down

Ancient Archaeological Finds Empty Archaeologists uncover 'little Pompeii' in France

Post Neon Knight Tue 1 Aug - 21:39

https://www.thelocal.fr/20170801/france-archaeologists-uncover-little-pompeii

A "little Pompeii" is how French archaeologists are describing an entire ancient Roman neighbourhood uncovered on the outskirts of the southeastern city of Vienne, featuring remarkably preserved remains of luxury homes and public buildings.

"We're unbelievably lucky. This is undoubtedly the most exceptional excavation of a Roman site in 40 or 50 years," said Benjamin Clement, the archaeologist leading the dig on the banks of the Rhone river, about 30 kilometres (18 miles) south of Lyon. The city of Vienne -- famous for its Roman theatre and temple -- was an important hub on the route connecting northern Gaul with the Roman province of Gallia Narbonensis in southern France.

The site unearthed on land awaiting construction of a housing complex covers an area of nearly 7,000 square metres (75,000 square feet) -- an unusually large discovery in an urban area that has been labelled an "exceptional find" by the French culture ministry. The neighbourhood, which contains homes dating to the 1st century AD, is believed to have been inhabited for around 300 years before being abandoned after a series of fires.

- R.J.Dio
Neon Knight
Neon Knight
The Castellan

Back to top Go down

Ancient Archaeological Finds Empty Re: Ancient Archaeological Finds

Post OsricPearl Tue 22 Aug - 2:13

Well, he did like making statues of himself. Wouldn't surprise me.
OsricPearl
OsricPearl
A lady of the castle

Female Posts : 458

Back to top Go down

Ancient Archaeological Finds Empty The Roman stone eagle found in London

Post Neon Knight Thu 8 Mar - 19:43

This is from a few years ago:

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2013/oct/29/roman-eagle-found-archaeologists-london-sculpture-art

A superb Roman eagle in near pristine condition, serpent prey wriggling in its beak, has been found by archaeologists in the City of London. A symbol of immortality and power, it was carefully preserved when the aristocratic tomb it decorated was smashed up more than 1,800 years ago – and is regarded as one of the best pieces of Romano-British art ever found.

The preservation is so startling that the archaeologists who found it a few weeks ago at the bottom of a ditch, on the last day of an excavation on a development site at the Minories, were worried in case they had unearthed a Victorian garden ornament. Excitement spread as it became clear from the context that it really was Roman – but carved in Britain, from Cotswold limestone.

Ancient Archaeological Finds V0_master

. . . Eagles are found across the empire, usually as symbols of imperial clout, but they were also used as funerary emblems: there are extraordinary contemporary accounts of live eagles trapped within the funeral pyres of emperors, freed to soar towards the sky as the flames crackled, symbolising the moment when the dead man became a god.

The London eagle was carved in the first century AD, at a time when the Roman city was exploding in population and wealth. It is believed to have stood on an imposing mausoleum, on the roadside edge of the eastern cemetery just outside the city walls. The road was once lined with the monuments of the wealthiest citizens, like the Via Appia outside Rome.

- R.J.Dio
Neon Knight
Neon Knight
The Castellan

Back to top Go down

Post Sary Thu 8 Mar - 22:17

That stone eagle reminds me of this old movie....when the eagle comes alive and attacks the man!

Scary!
Sary
Sary
A lady of the castle

Female Posts : 1070

Back to top Go down

Post Neon Knight Thu 8 Mar - 22:29

Those old horror-thriller films have a certain appeal. But the Roman eagle reminds me of this album cover:

Ancient Archaeological Finds R-573259-1455526368-7643.jpeg

- R.J.Dio
Neon Knight
Neon Knight
The Castellan

Back to top Go down

Post Sary Mon 12 Mar - 22:19

Eagles are majestic birds, once in a while I will see one flying over my house.

I like the fact that the old roman stone eagle is holding a serpent in its beak, symbolizing triumph over evil.
Sary
Sary
A lady of the castle

Back to top Go down

Ancient Archaeological Finds Empty Marble head of Dionysus discovered under Rome

Post Neon Knight Mon 17 Jun - 20:36

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/05/27/2000-year-old-marble-head-god-dionysus-discovered-rome/  Quoting:

Archaeologists in Rome have stumbled on a large marble head of Dionysus, also known as Bacchus, the ancient Roman god of wine, dance and fertility. The discovery was made during excavations in the heart of the city, near the remains of the ancient Roman Forum. The head would have belonged to a large statue of the god dating back to the imperial era . . .

“The archaeologists were excavating a late medieval wall when they saw, hidden in the earth, a white marble head,” said a statement from the Archaeological Park of the Colosseum, which encompasses the Roman Forum. It was built into the wall, and had been recycled as a building material, as often happened in the medieval era. Extracted from the ground, it revealed itself in all its beauty. The face is refined and gracious, young and feminine. All of which makes us think this could be a depiction of Dionysos.”
Ancient Archaeological Finds TELEMMGLPICT000198670740_trans_NvBQzQNjv4Bq7cN0L8Ura0Bdvarobt0Wj7yif0N6J3waMRLrQv6l0bI

The marble head will be cleaned and eventually put on display.

“Rome continues to surprise us every day,” said Virginia Raggi, the mayor of the capital. The head of the statue… is in excellent condition. It’s a marvel.” The head dates to between the 1st century BC and the 2nd century AD, according to Claudio Parisi Presicce, director of Rome's archaeological museums. “The hollow eyes, which were probably filled with glass or precious stones, date it to the first centuries of the Roman Empire,” he said. “The surface is not completely visible because we haven't yet given it a thorough clean. We think that there could still be traces of the original colour conserved in the band around the hair."

Dionysus was the son of Zeus and Semele, the mortal daughter of the king of Thebes. He was known as the god of wine, winemaking and grape cultivation, as well as of fertility, theatre and religious ecstasy. He was worshiped by the ancient Greeks as one of the 12 Olympians before being incorporated into the Roman pantheon of gods as Bacchus.

- R.J.Dio
Neon Knight
Neon Knight
The Castellan

Back to top Go down

Post Sary Tue 18 Jun - 1:34

Pretty amazing that ancient artifacts are still being uncovered.
It certainly looks like it could be Dionysus.
He is my second favorite god/goddess.
Sary
Sary
A lady of the castle

Back to top Go down

Post OsricPearl Tue 18 Jun - 3:52

How interesting. He is generally described as a youth with long curly black hair, not an old bald man.

Ancient Archaeological Finds VMPmie1
OsricPearl
OsricPearl
A lady of the castle

Back to top Go down

Post Neon Knight Tue 18 Jun - 21:14

Sary wrote:  Pretty amazing that ancient artifacts are still being uncovered.
Now I'll have to try and guess your first favourite. Zeus? There was a boy at my high school who they called Jesus because he sometimes wore sandals. I felt it was wrong to use Jesus as a nickname so I called him Zeus instead Smile 1 I think he appreciated it.

- R.J.Dio
Neon Knight
Neon Knight
The Castellan

Back to top Go down

Post OsricPearl Wed 19 Jun - 4:05

Neon Knight wrote:
Now I'll have to try and guess your first favourite. Zeus? There was a boy at my high school who they called Jesus because he sometimes wore sandals. I felt it was wrong to use Jesus as a nickname so I called him Zeus instead Smile 1 I think he appreciated it.

Well, I'm not Sary but my favorite is Apollo, followed by his sister Artemis.

Ancient Archaeological Finds VMPmie1
OsricPearl
OsricPearl
A lady of the castle

Back to top Go down

Post Sary Wed 19 Jun - 23:49

Neon Knight wrote:

The name Zeus does sounds very close to Jesus when pronounced with a Spanish accent .... as in Hey Zeus what are your plans for this evening?
I have met plenty of Puerto Rican’s with Jesus as a first name. I suppose that it is okay, better than some of the kooky names given to babies these days.
No, Zeus is not my favorite of the Roman gods, he is too intense and quick to anger for my sensitive nature. Although wine and theater are two of my favorite things, Dionysus is only a demi god, so he really does not count.
I will have to go with Venus, the goddess of beauty and love.
I use to have a medium sized statue of The Venus de Milo, but sadly she was broken beyond repair when she was pushed off of the sideboard,  by a crazy hyperactive cat.
Ancient Archaeological Finds 70739510
Sary
Sary
A lady of the castle

Back to top Go down

Post Neon Knight Thu 20 Jun - 22:11

I like Hephaestus (Vulcan to the Romans). He is noble and sympathetic.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hephaestus

Ancient Archaeological Finds 61pPVHiXToL._SY550_

- R.J.Dio
Neon Knight
Neon Knight
The Castellan

Back to top Go down