» The White Rose Group of Nazi Germany
by Neon Knight Mon 26 Aug - 9:46

» Folklore of Iberia
by Neon Knight Fri 23 Aug - 0:33

» Favourite Film & TV Scenes
by Neon Knight Wed 21 Aug - 23:41

» Old Film Trailers (to 2009)
by Neon Knight Sat 10 Aug - 23:18

» Horns are growing on young people's skulls. Phone use is to blame, research suggests.
by Sary Wed 7 Aug - 0:19

» UK Migration Issues
by Neon Knight Tue 6 Aug - 9:55

» Greek Tragedy by a Computer Program
by OsricPearl Tue 6 Aug - 2:58

» Polish soldier & nurse reunited after almost 75 years
by Sary Sun 4 Aug - 20:30

» Countries with the most & the best English speakers
by Neon Knight Tue 30 Jul - 22:26

» Moscow: 20,000 demand fair elections
by Neon Knight Sat 27 Jul - 0:04

» Real Time Lightning Map
by OsricPearl Thu 25 Jul - 22:52

» Song Cover-Versions & Originals
by Neon Knight Thu 25 Jul - 0:49

» Should American conservatives reject libertarianism?
by Sary Sun 21 Jul - 11:39

» Athens earthquake - 5.1
by Neon Knight Sun 21 Jul - 3:49

» Rent Seeking - Economic Concept
by OsricPearl Mon 15 Jul - 21:34

» Tommy Robinson
by Neon Knight Sat 13 Jul - 1:51

» Historical European Martial Arts, Arms & Armour
by Sary Thu 11 Jul - 12:53

» Marble head of Dionysus discovered under Rome
by OsricPearl Wed 10 Jul - 20:21

» The regional flags/emblems of you and your ancestors
by Sary Sat 6 Jul - 1:43

» The meaning of 'fair'- light or beautiful?
by OsricPearl Fri 5 Jul - 19:38

» When is incitement direct and indirect?
by Neon Knight Tue 2 Jul - 1:00

Marble head of Dionysus discovered under Rome

Reply to topic

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Marble head of Dionysus discovered under Rome Empty Marble head of Dionysus discovered under Rome

Post Neon Knight on Mon 17 Jun - 20:36

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/05/27/2000-year-old-marble-head-god-dionysus-discovered-rome/  Quoting:

Archaeologists in Rome have stumbled on a large marble head of Dionysus, also known as Bacchus, the ancient Roman god of wine, dance and fertility. The discovery was made during excavations in the heart of the city, near the remains of the ancient Roman Forum. The head would have belonged to a large statue of the god dating back to the imperial era . . .

“The archaeologists were excavating a late medieval wall when they saw, hidden in the earth, a white marble head,” said a statement from the Archaeological Park of the Colosseum, which encompasses the Roman Forum. It was built into the wall, and had been recycled as a building material, as often happened in the medieval era. Extracted from the ground, it revealed itself in all its beauty. The face is refined and gracious, young and feminine. All of which makes us think this could be a depiction of Dionysos.”
Marble head of Dionysus discovered under Rome TELEMMGLPICT000198670740_trans_NvBQzQNjv4Bq7cN0L8Ura0Bdvarobt0Wj7yif0N6J3waMRLrQv6l0bI

The marble head will be cleaned and eventually put on display.

“Rome continues to surprise us every day,” said Virginia Raggi, the mayor of the capital. The head of the statue… is in excellent condition. It’s a marvel.” The head dates to between the 1st century BC and the 2nd century AD, according to Claudio Parisi Presicce, director of Rome's archaeological museums. “The hollow eyes, which were probably filled with glass or precious stones, date it to the first centuries of the Roman Empire,” he said. “The surface is not completely visible because we haven't yet given it a thorough clean. We think that there could still be traces of the original colour conserved in the band around the hair."

Dionysus was the son of Zeus and Semele, the mortal daughter of the king of Thebes. He was known as the god of wine, winemaking and grape cultivation, as well as of fertility, theatre and religious ecstasy. He was worshiped by the ancient Greeks as one of the 12 Olympians before being incorporated into the Roman pantheon of gods as Bacchus.

Marble head of Dionysus discovered under Rome Englan11

Between the velvet lies, there's a truth that's hard as steel
The vision never dies, life's a never ending wheel
- R.J.Dio
Neon Knight
Neon Knight
The Castellan

Male Posts : 1568

http://castle-europa.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Marble head of Dionysus discovered under Rome Empty Re: Marble head of Dionysus discovered under Rome

Post Sary on Tue 18 Jun - 1:34

Pretty amazing that ancient artifacts are still being uncovered.
It certainly looks like it could be Dionysus.
He is my second favorite god/goddess.
Sary
Sary
A lady of the castle

Female Posts : 618

Back to top Go down

Marble head of Dionysus discovered under Rome Empty Re: Marble head of Dionysus discovered under Rome

Post OsricPearl on Tue 18 Jun - 3:52

How interesting. He is generally described as a youth with long curly black hair, not an old bald man.

Marble head of Dionysus discovered under Rome VMPmie1
OsricPearl
OsricPearl
A lady of the castle

Female Posts : 362

Back to top Go down

Post Neon Knight on Tue 18 Jun - 21:14

@Sary wrote:  Pretty amazing that ancient artifacts are still being uncovered.
Now I'll have to try and guess your first favourite. Zeus? There was a boy at my high school who they called Jesus because he sometimes wore sandals. I felt it was wrong to use Jesus as a nickname so I called him Zeus instead Smile 1 I think he appreciated it.

- R.J.Dio
Neon Knight
Neon Knight
The Castellan

Back to top Go down

Post OsricPearl on Wed 19 Jun - 4:05

@Neon Knight wrote:
Now I'll have to try and guess your first favourite. Zeus? There was a boy at my high school who they called Jesus because he sometimes wore sandals. I felt it was wrong to use Jesus as a nickname so I called him Zeus instead Smile 1 I think he appreciated it.

Well, I'm not Sary but my favorite is Apollo, followed by his sister Artemis.

OsricPearl
OsricPearl
A lady of the castle

Back to top Go down

Post Sary on Wed 19 Jun - 23:49

@Neon Knight wrote:

The name Zeus does sounds very close to Jesus when pronounced with a Spanish accent .... as in Hey Zeus what are your plans for this evening?
I have met plenty of Puerto Rican’s with Jesus as a first name. I suppose that it is okay, better than some of the kooky names given to babies these days.
No, Zeus is not my favorite of the Roman gods, he is too intense and quick to anger for my sensitive nature. Although wine and theater are two of my favorite things, Dionysus is only a demi god, so he really does not count.
I will have to go with Venus, the goddess of beauty and love.
I use to have a medium sized statue of The Venus de Milo, but sadly she was broken beyond repair when she was pushed off of the sideboard,  by a crazy hyperactive cat.
Marble head of Dionysus discovered under Rome 70739510
Sary
Sary
A lady of the castle

Back to top Go down

Post Neon Knight on Thu 20 Jun - 22:11

I like Hephaestus (Vulcan to the Romans). He is noble and sympathetic.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hephaestus

Marble head of Dionysus discovered under Rome 61pPVHiXToL._SY550_

- R.J.Dio
Neon Knight
Neon Knight
The Castellan

Back to top Go down

Post OsricPearl on Mon 24 Jun - 18:42

@Neon Knight wrote:I like Hephaestus (Vulcan to the Romans). He is noble and sympathetic.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hephaestus

Marble head of Dionysus discovered under Rome 61pPVHiXToL._SY550_

Yes, it's why I could never hang with Aphrodite or Hera. Hera threw her baby away because he was ugly. Aphrodite cheated on him all the time. I'm supposed to worship these creatures? what? Scratching

OsricPearl
OsricPearl
A lady of the castle

Back to top Go down

Post Sary on Tue 25 Jun - 21:40

All of the ancient gods and goddesses possessed both human traits of weaknesses and strengths. Jealousy, lust, vengeance make them part of what they are, not so different than mortal human beings.
It makes me think that they were not so much worshiped, as they were feared.
I would hang with any of one of them, if given a chance to get to know them.
Sary
Sary
A lady of the castle

Back to top Go down

Post Sary on Thu 27 Jun - 19:07

Yesterday something happened to me that was so uncanny that I just have to share.

I volunteered to help clear out some old books and supplies, left in one of the old medical offices that is going to be renovated.

I started packing books,  when I came across this statue of The Colossus of Rhodes.
The woman in charge of the move said I could keep the statue , as he was going to be thrown out anyway.
Needless to say, I am keeping him and he now adorns my desk. My protector of sorts  Smile 1

The Colossus of Rhodes was one of the 7 wonders of the ancient world. He is the Ancient Greek god, Helios-the sun god. The Greek equivalent of Zeus and Apollo.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colossus_of_Rhodes

So strange because I never really thought much about Greek gods until this past week super coincidental!
Sary
Sary
A lady of the castle

Back to top Go down

Post Sary on Thu 27 Jun - 19:12

Marble head of Dionysus discovered under Rome 25372b10
Sary
Sary
A lady of the castle

Back to top Go down

Post Neon Knight on Fri 28 Jun - 1:29

@Sary wrote:Yesterday something happened to me that was so uncanny that I just have to share.

I volunteered to help clear out some old books and supplies, left in one of the old medical offices that is going to be renovated.

I started packing books,  when I came across this statue of The Colossus of Rhodes.
The woman in charge of the move said I could keep the statue , as he was going to be thrown out anyway.
Needless to say, I am keeping him and he now adorns my desk. My protector of sorts  Smile 1

The Colossus of Rhodes was one of the 7 wonders of the ancient world. He is the Ancient Greek god, Helios-the sun god. The Greek equivalent of Zeus and Apollo.

So strange because I never really thought much about Greek gods until this past week super coincidental!
It's a good example of Jung's idea of synchronicity:

"Jung believed life was not a series of random events but rather an expression of a deeper order, which he and Pauli referred to as Unus mundus. This deeper order led to the insights that a person was both embedded in a universal wholeness and that the realisation of this was more than just an intellectual exercise, but also had elements of a spiritual awakening. From the religious perspective, synchronicity shares similar characteristics of an 'intervention of grace'. Jung also believed that in a person's life, synchronicity served a role similar to that of dreams, with the purpose of shifting a person's egocentric conscious thinking to greater wholeness." - Wikipedia

- R.J.Dio
Neon Knight
Neon Knight
The Castellan

Back to top Go down

Post OsricPearl on Fri 28 Jun - 19:07

Someone was going to throw it away? Shame. At the very least they could have given it to a consignment shop for resale. It's a good thing you found it!

OsricPearl
OsricPearl
A lady of the castle

Back to top Go down

Post Sary on Sat 29 Jun - 23:30

@Neon Knight wrote:
@Sary wrote:Yesterday something happened to me that was so uncanny that I just have to share.

It's a good example of Jung's idea of synchronicity:

"Jung believed life was not a series of random events but rather an expression of a deeper order, which he and Pauli referred to as Unus mundus. This deeper order led to the insights that a person was both embedded in a universal wholeness and that the realisation of this was more than just an intellectual exercise, but also had elements of a spiritual awakening. From the religious perspective, synchronicity shares similar characteristics of an 'intervention of grace'. Jung also believed that in a person's life, synchronicity served a role similar to that of dreams, with the purpose of shifting a person's egocentric conscious thinking to greater wholeness." - Wikipedia

Coincidences happen to me quite often, most of the time they are little things and I smile but then I quickly dismiss them. I know that magical thinking is a sign of mental illness. I try not to get caught up in my own thoughts too much.
But sometimes when the synchronicity is so profound that to ignore/deny it , well that would be foolish.
It adds meaning to ones life.
Sary
Sary
A lady of the castle

Back to top Go down

Post Sary on Sat 29 Jun - 23:42

@OsricPearl wrote:Someone was going to throw it away? Shame. At the very least they could have given it to a consignment shop for resale. It's a good thing you found it!

Kolossos may have ended up in the hospital auxiliary thrift store, but Alyssa said that I could have him plus, he said that he wanted to go with me.

I hope that the books find a good home. They were gorgeous cardiology text books bound in what looked to be red leather.

One man’s trash is another mans treasure.
Sary
Sary
A lady of the castle

Back to top Go down

Post Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top