Castle Europa
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Like/Tweet/+1
Latest topics
» Now listening to . . .
by Sary Yesterday at 0:26

» Religious Followings in Iran
by Neon Knight Sat 16 Mar - 3:00

» Minimum Drinking Ages
by Neon Knight Sat 16 Mar - 2:55

» Song Cover-Versions & Originals
by Neon Knight Tue 5 Mar - 22:43

» European Border Disputes
by Neon Knight Tue 5 Mar - 1:49

» Cat Vision
by Sary Wed 21 Feb - 2:00

» Cool Masculine Art
by Neon Knight Thu 15 Feb - 1:08

» Apparitions & Hauntings
by Neon Knight Wed 31 Jan - 9:33

» Beautiful Feminine Art
by Sary Wed 24 Jan - 0:03

» Monty Python Scenes & Sketches
by Neon Knight Tue 23 Jan - 0:32

» Covid-19 in Europe
by Sary Sat 6 Jan - 2:04

» Xylitol - the ideal sugar substitute?
by Neon Knight Wed 20 Dec - 0:48

» Favourite Quotes - Wit & Wisdom
by Neon Knight Mon 20 Nov - 0:16

» Near-Death Experiences
by Neon Knight Sun 19 Nov - 23:34

» Early Fantasy Novels
by Sary Mon 16 Oct - 1:33

» Computer Simulated Life Experience
by OsricPearl Mon 9 Oct - 4:28

» Career change
by OsricPearl Mon 9 Oct - 4:16

» A normal explanation for some hauntings
by Neon Knight Sun 1 Oct - 1:15

» Alice Cooper dropped by cosmetics firm for trans comments
by Sary Mon 11 Sep - 12:44

» DNA Shared by Relationship
by Sary Sat 26 Aug - 2:10

» Inside Balkan Churches
by Neon Knight Sun 30 Jul - 23:59

» UK Migration Issues
by Neon Knight Mon 17 Jul - 1:36

» The Legendary Dogmen
by Neon Knight Sun 9 Jul - 22:57

» Ancient Archaeological Finds
by OsricPearl Thu 6 Jul - 15:11

» Time Slips
by Neon Knight Thu 22 Jun - 0:38

» European Monarchies
by OsricPearl Tue 9 May - 3:08

» Chesterton's Fence
by Neon Knight Thu 4 May - 16:18

» Physical Map of Europe
by Sary Sat 15 Apr - 0:31

» The maps of Europe and the USA compared
by Neon Knight Sun 12 Mar - 18:11

» John Titor - a time and dimensional traveller?
by Sary Wed 8 Feb - 0:03

» The Sex Pistols' notorious early appearance on TV
by Sary Tue 24 Jan - 2:39

» Responding to SJW Rhetoric
by Neon Knight Mon 9 Jan - 11:00

» Which countries should refugees go to?
by OsricPearl Thu 29 Dec - 15:53

» Spotting dark personality traits from faces
by Guest Wed 28 Dec - 23:16

» Victorian Christmas Traditions
by Neon Knight Fri 23 Dec - 19:13

» The mystery behind the Pied Piper story
by OsricPearl Wed 14 Dec - 4:00

» Saint Places
by OsricPearl Wed 14 Dec - 3:40

» Ancient Monuments
by Sary Fri 2 Dec - 3:30

» Personality traits linked to political orientation
by Neon Knight Tue 22 Nov - 13:49

» Rainbows in European Mythology
by Sary Sat 19 Nov - 19:45

The Englishmen with African Y-DNA

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Englishmen with African Y-DNA Empty The Englishmen with African Y-DNA

Post Neon Knight Wed 22 May - 23:36

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-431948/Yorkshireman-share-DNA-African-tribes.html  Quoting:

John Revis has always considered himself a true Yorkshireman who was proud of his ancestry. But he has been forced to confront an entirely different heritage - after scientists uncovered that he has exactly the same DNA imprint as a tribe of African warriors.

Scientists last week announced the discovery of the first proof that slaves brought to Britain by the Romans left behind a distinct genetic heritage. This strand was revealed to exist among just seven men with a particular surname hailing from the North of England. However, the academics refused to disclose the identities of any of those men included in the study. Now The Mail on Sunday has discovered that all of those with the African lineage have the surname Revis . . .

Scientists from Leicester University made the finding during research sponsored by The Wellcome Trust. They were examining the relationship between the male, or Y, chromosome and surnames. Like surnames, the Y-chromosome is passed from father to son, virtually unchanged through generations.

Professor Mark Jobling said: "We found John was in the A1 group of Y-chromosomes, which is very rare and highly west African-specific. This study has shown what it means to be British is complicated and always has been. Human migration history is very complex, particularly for an island nation such as ours. This study further debunks the idea that there are simple and distinct populations or races." Neutral

Over time, the Y-chromosome accumulates small changes in DNA sequence, allowing scientists to study the relationships between different male lineages. The surname Revis is believed to derive from Rievaulx Abbey in Yorkshire.

Fellow researcher Turi King said: "Our findings represent the first genetic evidence of Africans among 'indigenous' British people." She added that Africans were first recorded in northern England 1,800 years ago, brought by the Romans to help defend Hadrian's Wall. Ms King said: "The slave trade was responsible for the influx of Africans in the 16th and 17th Centuries. By the last third of the 18th Century there were 10,000 black people in Britain.

Previous studies of British genetic diversity had found no evidence of African Y-chromosome lineages."

WIKIPEDIA:

The subclade A1a (M31) has been found in approximately 2.8% (8/282) of a pool of seven samples of various ethnic groups in Guinea-Bissau, especially among the Papel-Manjaco-Mancanha (5/64 = 7.8%). In an earlier study published in 2003, Gonçalves et al. have reported finding A1a-M31 in 5.1% (14/276) of a sample from Guinea-Bissau and in 0.5% (1/201) of a pair of samples from Cabo Verde. The authors of another study have reported finding haplogroup A1a-M31 in 5% (2/39) of a sample of Mandinka from Senegambia and 2% (1/55) of a sample of Dogon from Mali. Haplogroup A1a-M31 also has been found in 3% (2/64) of a sample of Berbers from Morocco and 2.3% (1/44) of a sample of unspecified ethnic affiliation from Mali.

In 2007, seven men from Yorkshire, England sharing the unusual surname Revis were identified as being from the A1a (M31) subclade. It was discovered that these men had a common male-line ancestor from the 18th century, but no previous information about African ancestry was known.

The Englishmen with African Y-DNA Englan11

Between the velvet lies, there's a truth that's hard as steel
The vision never dies, life's a never ending wheel
- R.J.Dio
Neon Knight
Neon Knight
The Castellan

Male Posts : 2357

https://castle-europa.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

The Englishmen with African Y-DNA Empty Re: The Englishmen with African Y-DNA

Post OsricPearl Sun 26 May - 2:43

This study further debunks the idea that there are simple and distinct populations or races. :lol:

No it doesn't.

Anyway, that is interesting. But having a particular haplo doesn't change your "race." I got my Euro m. haplo from my black great-great grandmother. Shrug
OsricPearl
OsricPearl
A lady of the castle

Female Posts : 458

Back to top Go down

Post Neon Knight Sun 26 May - 19:03

I would agree that haplogroups are too ancient to be definers of race. My maternal haplogroup, H5, originated in West Asia but it also has some concentration in Wales.

- R.J.Dio
Neon Knight
Neon Knight
The Castellan

Back to top Go down

Post OsricPearl Sun 15 Dec - 16:47

Neon Knight wrote:I would agree that haplogroups are too ancient to be definers of race. My maternal haplogroup, H5, originated in West Asia but it also has some concentration in Wales.

Since it comes from West Asia and it is concentrated in Wales, do you think it is a Roman holdover like the article's example?

The Englishmen with African Y-DNA VMPmie1
OsricPearl
OsricPearl
A lady of the castle

Back to top Go down

Post Neon Knight Mon 16 Dec - 0:40

OsricPearl wrote:
Neon Knight wrote:I would agree that haplogroups are too ancient to be definers of race. My maternal haplogroup, H5, originated in West Asia but it also has some concentration in Wales.

Since it comes from West Asia and it is concentrated in Wales, do you think it is a Roman holdover like the article's example?

That's for H5 in general, which seems to be from the Neolithic. I'd forgotten, but mine is specifically H5a1. Wikipedia:

"The subclade H5a1 . . . appears to occur fairly evenly across Europe at slightly lower levels than its parent. The population average in samples from Austria, Germany, Hungary, Macedonia and Romania was 1.8%. In a very large sample of the population of the Austrian Tyrol, H5a1 was found in 2%, whereas H5a was found at 2.9%."

- R.J.Dio
Neon Knight
Neon Knight
The Castellan

Back to top Go down

Post OsricPearl Mon 23 Dec - 2:56

Neon Knight wrote:
OsricPearl wrote:

That's for H5 in general, which seems to be from the Neolithic. I'd forgotten, but mine is specifically H5a1. Wikipedia:

"The subclade H5a1 . . . appears to occur fairly evenly across Europe at slightly lower levels than its parent. The population average in samples from Austria, Germany, Hungary, Macedonia and Romania was 1.8%. In a very large sample of the population of the Austrian Tyrol, H5a1 was found in 2%, whereas H5a was found at 2.9%."

Stone Hedge builder Very Happy Very Happy

The Englishmen with African Y-DNA VMPmie1
OsricPearl
OsricPearl
A lady of the castle

Back to top Go down

Post Neon Knight Tue 24 Dec - 0:31

OsricPearl wrote:Stone Hedge builder Very Happy Very Happy
I bet it was a very respectable occupation at the time!

- R.J.Dio
Neon Knight
Neon Knight
The Castellan

Back to top Go down

Post Sponsored content