Castle Europa
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Like/Tweet/+1
Latest topics
» Song Cover-Versions & Originals
by Sary Fri 22 Mar - 0:47

» Minimum Drinking Ages
by Sary Fri 22 Mar - 0:41

» Now listening to . . .
by Sary Mon 18 Mar - 0:26

» Religious Followings in Iran
by Neon Knight Sat 16 Mar - 3:00

» European Border Disputes
by Neon Knight Tue 5 Mar - 1:49

» Cat Vision
by Sary Wed 21 Feb - 2:00

» Cool Masculine Art
by Neon Knight Thu 15 Feb - 1:08

» Apparitions & Hauntings
by Neon Knight Wed 31 Jan - 9:33

» Beautiful Feminine Art
by Sary Wed 24 Jan - 0:03

» Monty Python Scenes & Sketches
by Neon Knight Tue 23 Jan - 0:32

» Covid-19 in Europe
by Sary Sat 6 Jan - 2:04

» Xylitol - the ideal sugar substitute?
by Neon Knight Wed 20 Dec - 0:48

» Favourite Quotes - Wit & Wisdom
by Neon Knight Mon 20 Nov - 0:16

» Near-Death Experiences
by Neon Knight Sun 19 Nov - 23:34

» Early Fantasy Novels
by Sary Mon 16 Oct - 1:33

» Computer Simulated Life Experience
by OsricPearl Mon 9 Oct - 4:28

» Career change
by OsricPearl Mon 9 Oct - 4:16

» A normal explanation for some hauntings
by Neon Knight Sun 1 Oct - 1:15

» Alice Cooper dropped by cosmetics firm for trans comments
by Sary Mon 11 Sep - 12:44

» DNA Shared by Relationship
by Sary Sat 26 Aug - 2:10

» Inside Balkan Churches
by Neon Knight Sun 30 Jul - 23:59

» UK Migration Issues
by Neon Knight Mon 17 Jul - 1:36

» The Legendary Dogmen
by Neon Knight Sun 9 Jul - 22:57

» Ancient Archaeological Finds
by OsricPearl Thu 6 Jul - 15:11

» Time Slips
by Neon Knight Thu 22 Jun - 0:38

» European Monarchies
by OsricPearl Tue 9 May - 3:08

» Chesterton's Fence
by Neon Knight Thu 4 May - 16:18

» Physical Map of Europe
by Sary Sat 15 Apr - 0:31

» The maps of Europe and the USA compared
by Neon Knight Sun 12 Mar - 18:11

» John Titor - a time and dimensional traveller?
by Sary Wed 8 Feb - 0:03

» The Sex Pistols' notorious early appearance on TV
by Sary Tue 24 Jan - 2:39

» Responding to SJW Rhetoric
by Neon Knight Mon 9 Jan - 11:00

» Which countries should refugees go to?
by OsricPearl Thu 29 Dec - 15:53

» Spotting dark personality traits from faces
by Guest Wed 28 Dec - 23:16

» Victorian Christmas Traditions
by Neon Knight Fri 23 Dec - 19:13

» The mystery behind the Pied Piper story
by OsricPearl Wed 14 Dec - 4:00

» Saint Places
by OsricPearl Wed 14 Dec - 3:40

» Ancient Monuments
by Sary Fri 2 Dec - 3:30

» Personality traits linked to political orientation
by Neon Knight Tue 22 Nov - 13:49

» Rainbows in European Mythology
by Sary Sat 19 Nov - 19:45

Historical European Martial Arts, Arms & Armour

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Historical European Martial Arts, Arms & Armour Empty Historical European Martial Arts, Arms & Armour

Post Neon Knight Thu 6 Dec - 23:16

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historical_European_martial_arts  Quoting:

Historical European martial arts (HEMA) refers to martial arts of European origin, particularly using arts formerly practised, but having since died out or evolved into very different forms.

While there is limited surviving documentation of the martial arts of classical antiquity (such as Greek wrestling or gladiatorial combat), surviving dedicated technical treatises or martial arts manuals date to the Late Middle Ages and the early modern period. For this reason, the focus of HEMA is de facto on the period of the half-millennium of ca. 1300 to 1800, with a German and an Italian school flowering in the Late Middle Ages and the Renaissance (14th to 16th centuries), followed by Spanish, French, English and Scottish schools of fencing in the modern period (17th and 18th centuries). Arts of the 19th century such as classical fencing, and even early hybrid styles such as Bartitsu may also be included in the term HEMA in a wider sense, as may traditional or folkloristic styles attested in the 19th and early 20th centuries, including forms of folk wrestling and traditional stick-fighting methods.

. . . Attempts at reconstructing the discontinued traditions of European systems of combat began in the late 19th century, with a revival of interest in the Middle Ages. The movement was led in England by the soldier, writer, antiquarian and swordsman, Alfred Hutton. Hutton learned fencing at the school founded by Domenico Angelo. In 1862, he organized in his regiment stationed in India the Cameron Fencing Club, for which he prepared his first work, a 12-page booklet entitled Swordsmanship. After returning from India in 1865, Hutton focused on the study and revival of older fencing systems and schools. He began tutoring groups of students in the art of 'ancient swordplay' at a club attached to the London Rifle Brigade School of Arms in the 1880s.

. . . Similar work, although more academic than practical in nature, occurred in other European countries . . . Throughout the 20th century a small number of researchers, principally academics with access to some of the sources, continued exploring the field of historical European martial arts from a largely academic perspective . . . In the 1980s and 1990s, Patri J. Pugliese began making photocopies of historical treatises available to interested parties, greatly spurring on research. 1994 saw the rise of the Hammerterz Forum, a publication devoted entirely to the history of swordsmanship. During the late 1990s, translations and interpretations of historical sources began appearing in print as well as online.

Since the 1990s, there have emerged flourishing Historical European Martial Arts communities in Europe, North America, Australia and the wider English-speaking world. These groups are engaged in attempting to reconstruct Historical European Martial Arts using various training methods. Although the focus generally is on the martial arts of Medieval and Renaissance masters, nineteenth and early twentieth century martial arts teachers are also studied and their systems are reconstructed . . .

In 2001, the Historical European Martial Arts Coalition (HEMAC) was created to act as an umbrella organization for groups in Europe . . . In 2003, the Australian Historical Swordplay Federation became the umbrella organization for groups in Australia. In 2010, several dozen HEMA schools and clubs from around the world united under the umbrella of the HEMA Alliance, a US-based martial arts federation dedicated to developing and sharing the Historical European Martial Arts and assisting HEMA schools and instructors with such things as instructor certification, insurance, and equipment development.

Historical European Martial Arts, Arms & Armour Englan11

Between the velvet lies, there's a truth that's hard as steel
The vision never dies, life's a never ending wheel
- R.J.Dio
Neon Knight
Neon Knight
The Castellan

Male Posts : 2357

https://castle-europa.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Historical European Martial Arts, Arms & Armour Empty Re: Historical European Martial Arts, Arms & Armour

Post Neon Knight Thu 6 Dec - 23:33

Longsword:

"A longsword is a type of European sword characterized as having a cruciform hilt with a grip for two-handed use (around 16 to 28 cm (6 to 11 in)), a straight double-edged blade of around 85 to 110 cm (33 to 43 in), and weighing approximately 1 to 1.5 kg (2.2 to 3.3 lb).

. . . The longsword is characterised not so much by a longer blade, but by a longer grip, which indicates a weapon designed for two-handed use. Swords with exceptionally long hilts are found throughout the High Middle Ages, but these remain rare, and are not representative of an identifiable trend before the late 13th or early 14th century.

The longsword as a late medieval type of sword emerges in the 14th century, as a military steel weapon of the earlier phase of the Hundred Years' War. It remains identifiable as a type during the period of about 1350 to 1550. It remained in use as a weapon of war intended for wielders wearing full plate armour either on foot or on horseback, throughout the late medieval period. From the late 15th century, however, it is also attested as being worn and used by unarmoured soldiers or mercenaries." (Wikipedia)

Longsword sparring:

Small Sword:
https://combativecorner.wordpress.com/2015/02/16/a-short-study-of-the-smallsword/  Quoting:

"The small sword (or court sword, l’épée courte) is a weapon that began to spread across Europe as early as the 1630s.  This weapon, effective in both attack and defense and designed for the thrust reached the height of its popularity in the late 17th-early 18th century; particularly in England and France.  Due to the small sword’s practicality, lithe & lethality, it became the weapon used to dissolve disputes. Because the small sword required fencing skill to handle, and due to its piercing nature, the small sword duel was deemed “more civilized” than weapons concentrated on slashing and hacking.

. . . One of the most realistic scenes involving the small sword can be seen in the first fight in the movie, The Duellists":

Small sword sparring:

- R.J.Dio
Neon Knight
Neon Knight
The Castellan

Back to top Go down

Historical European Martial Arts, Arms & Armour Empty Re: Historical European Martial Arts, Arms & Armour

Post OsricPearl Sat 8 Dec - 2:48

I'm glad that some people are trying to revive this. As much as I appreciate Oriental Martial Arts, I really like that we have our own traditions and they should be preserved.
OsricPearl
OsricPearl
A lady of the castle

Female Posts : 458

Back to top Go down

Post Neon Knight Wed 12 Dec - 22:48

Sword against spear (action begins at 1:42):

- R.J.Dio
Neon Knight
Neon Knight
The Castellan

Back to top Go down

Post OsricPearl Tue 18 Dec - 2:20

Neon Knight wrote:Sword against spear (action begins at 1:42):

This is amazing. Thanks. Very Happy
OsricPearl
OsricPearl
A lady of the castle

Back to top Go down

Post Neon Knight Sat 29 Dec - 0:29

Now for a Christmas treat Santa Claus The climactic scene from the film By the Sword:

The actor in the grey shirt is Eric Roberts, brother of the famous Julia Roberts.

- R.J.Dio
Neon Knight
Neon Knight
The Castellan

Back to top Go down

Post Neon Knight Sat 5 Jan - 22:06

I've been reading and watching a bit about chain mail armour (properly just called 'mail'). Wikipedia (yellow text):

The use of mail as battlefield armour was common during the Iron Age and the Middle Ages, becoming less common over the course of the 16th and 17th centuries. It is believed that the Roman Republic first came into contact with mail fighting the Gauls in Cisalpine Gaul, now Northern Italy, but a different pattern of mail was already in use among the Etruscans. The Roman army adopted the technology for their troops in the form of the lorica hamata [below] which was used as a primary form of armour through the Imperial period.

Historical European Martial Arts, Arms & Armour Lorica_Hamata

After the fall of the Western Empire, much of the infrastructure needed to create plate armour diminished. Eventually the word "mail" came to be synonymous with armour. It was typically an extremely prized commodity, as it was expensive and time-consuming to produce and could mean the difference between life and death in a battle.

Apparently, a common mistaken belief now is that mail was not very effective; this arises from testing inferior replicas which are made with the ring ends simply closed together (butted) rather than being riveted or welded.

- R.J.Dio
Neon Knight
Neon Knight
The Castellan

Back to top Go down

Post Neon Knight Mon 7 Jan - 21:33

A nicely informative short video about the distinctive (that's the word I was looking for) bacinet helmet:

- R.J.Dio
Neon Knight
Neon Knight
The Castellan

Back to top Go down

Post Jehan I Wed 16 Jan - 15:36

Nice,

I was thinking about practicing traditionnal european martial art.
But mot of the one who survives are totally useless and are only show.
Ecept maybe french boxe.
Jehan I
Jehan I
Un chevalier du château

Male Posts : 194

Back to top Go down

Post OsricPearl Thu 17 Jan - 3:09

Jehan I wrote:Nice,

Ecept maybe french boxe.

You never know. Knowing how to shoot a bow or strike with a spear may come in handy one day. ;p
OsricPearl
OsricPearl
A lady of the castle

Back to top Go down

Post Neon Knight Sat 19 Jan - 2:37

OsricPearl wrote:You never know. Knowing how to shoot a bow or strike with a spear may come in handy one day. ;p
I think anyone who has shown him or her self to be a civilised person by the age of 30 should be allowed to carry a small sword for self defence. Or maybe a poleaxe:

"Come at me with that zombie knife, you scoundrel!"

- R.J.Dio
Neon Knight
Neon Knight
The Castellan

Back to top Go down

Post Jehan I Sun 20 Jan - 11:01

OsricPearl wrote:

Ecept maybe french boxe.

You never know. Knowing how to shoot a bow or strike with a spear may come in handy one day. ;p

I doubt but who knows.

But contrary to the stereotype that only americans civils have guns, in Europe we have also tons of weapns. It's mainly hunting guns. So if shit really tooks place I hope I will get something more efficient than a bow^^

But fighting skill is always usefull, it prepares yourself psychologicaly.

Does some people here are involve in this?
Jehan I
Jehan I
Un chevalier du château

Male Posts : 194

Back to top Go down

Post Neon Knight Sun 20 Jan - 18:34

Jehan I wrote:
OsricPearl wrote:

Ecept maybe french boxe.
I doubt but who knows.

But contrary to the stereotype that only americans civils have guns, in Europe we have also tons of weapns. It's mainly hunting guns. So if shit really tooks place I hope I will get something more efficient than a bow^^

But fighting skill is always usefull, it prepares yourself psychologicaly.

Does some people here are involve in this?
I've done a bit of fencing and archery and I did kung fu for a while but nothing recently. As you say, the real benefit of combat sports (apart from enjoyment) is psychological - they reduce the fear of being hurt and increase self-confidence. Confidence counts for a lot. I think everyone remembers the small aggressive boy at school beating up the big tall boy who didn't have the will to fight.

- R.J.Dio
Neon Knight
Neon Knight
The Castellan

Back to top Go down

Post Neon Knight Thu 11 Jul - 1:01

Three videos dispelling (mostly) the myth that it was difficult to move in medieval armour:

The Sardonic Varg -

- R.J.Dio
Neon Knight
Neon Knight
The Castellan

Back to top Go down

Post Sary Thu 11 Jul - 12:53

The strength and agility of these men is quite impressive, especially the older gentleman swimming in the armor.
The children seem to be very entertained by his athletic show.
Sary
Sary
A lady of the castle

Female Posts : 1070

Back to top Go down

Post Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top