Castle Europa
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Like/Tweet/+1
Latest topics
» Now listening to . . .
by Sary Yesterday at 0:26

» Religious Followings in Iran
by Neon Knight Sat 16 Mar - 3:00

» Minimum Drinking Ages
by Neon Knight Sat 16 Mar - 2:55

» Song Cover-Versions & Originals
by Neon Knight Tue 5 Mar - 22:43

» European Border Disputes
by Neon Knight Tue 5 Mar - 1:49

» Cat Vision
by Sary Wed 21 Feb - 2:00

» Cool Masculine Art
by Neon Knight Thu 15 Feb - 1:08

» Apparitions & Hauntings
by Neon Knight Wed 31 Jan - 9:33

» Beautiful Feminine Art
by Sary Wed 24 Jan - 0:03

» Monty Python Scenes & Sketches
by Neon Knight Tue 23 Jan - 0:32

» Covid-19 in Europe
by Sary Sat 6 Jan - 2:04

» Xylitol - the ideal sugar substitute?
by Neon Knight Wed 20 Dec - 0:48

» Favourite Quotes - Wit & Wisdom
by Neon Knight Mon 20 Nov - 0:16

» Near-Death Experiences
by Neon Knight Sun 19 Nov - 23:34

» Early Fantasy Novels
by Sary Mon 16 Oct - 1:33

» Computer Simulated Life Experience
by OsricPearl Mon 9 Oct - 4:28

» Career change
by OsricPearl Mon 9 Oct - 4:16

» A normal explanation for some hauntings
by Neon Knight Sun 1 Oct - 1:15

» Alice Cooper dropped by cosmetics firm for trans comments
by Sary Mon 11 Sep - 12:44

» DNA Shared by Relationship
by Sary Sat 26 Aug - 2:10

» Inside Balkan Churches
by Neon Knight Sun 30 Jul - 23:59

» UK Migration Issues
by Neon Knight Mon 17 Jul - 1:36

» The Legendary Dogmen
by Neon Knight Sun 9 Jul - 22:57

» Ancient Archaeological Finds
by OsricPearl Thu 6 Jul - 15:11

» Time Slips
by Neon Knight Thu 22 Jun - 0:38

» European Monarchies
by OsricPearl Tue 9 May - 3:08

» Chesterton's Fence
by Neon Knight Thu 4 May - 16:18

» Physical Map of Europe
by Sary Sat 15 Apr - 0:31

» The maps of Europe and the USA compared
by Neon Knight Sun 12 Mar - 18:11

» John Titor - a time and dimensional traveller?
by Sary Wed 8 Feb - 0:03

» The Sex Pistols' notorious early appearance on TV
by Sary Tue 24 Jan - 2:39

» Responding to SJW Rhetoric
by Neon Knight Mon 9 Jan - 11:00

» Which countries should refugees go to?
by OsricPearl Thu 29 Dec - 15:53

» Spotting dark personality traits from faces
by Guest Wed 28 Dec - 23:16

» Victorian Christmas Traditions
by Neon Knight Fri 23 Dec - 19:13

» The mystery behind the Pied Piper story
by OsricPearl Wed 14 Dec - 4:00

» Saint Places
by OsricPearl Wed 14 Dec - 3:40

» Ancient Monuments
by Sary Fri 2 Dec - 3:30

» Personality traits linked to political orientation
by Neon Knight Tue 22 Nov - 13:49

» Rainbows in European Mythology
by Sary Sat 19 Nov - 19:45

What do the Irish think of the English?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What do the Irish think of the English? Empty What do the Irish think of the English?

Post Neon Knight Tue 20 Nov - 20:40

This is a question on Quora, and I found this answer amusing: https://www.quora.com/What-do-the-Irish-think-of-the-English

"I did some work a few years back in Belfast. I was doing a network installation with a local company so stayed in a hotel close to the city centre.

We had finished work a few hours earlier than planned and everyone had gone home with me back to the hotel. Still early evening I decided to go to a pub. I asked the receptionist for directions to the local decent pub who proceed to point out a pub to me that I “defintely shouldn’t go into”.

Duly warned I headed off. I took a left and a right and generally got myself a little turned about before seeing a nice little pub on a corner. I wandered in and ordered a pint of Guinness (rude not to really).

While my pint is being poured a large chap stands up and comes to the bar next to me. He asks me what I’m doing here. His exact words were “What are you doing here?” Now, I specify what this man says because I sometimes miss what people really mean. I took these words at face value and proceeded to tell him all about the installation I’ve just helped with and how well it went. (Thinking back, he could have meant here in the pub.) Anyway, a couple of minutes of pleasant conversation ensues while I pay for my pint and find a table. Big man goes back to his table and his mates.

A few minutes passed while I was watching a rugby match on the screen and another largish chap ambles up, sits down and asks me, “What are you doing here?” I proceeded to tell him what I told the other chap. I then ask him if he’s interested in rugby. So we get talking about rugby. While talking about the game on the TV and rugby in general, another, I can only describe as giant, man comes over. My rugby companion invites the person to sit and proceeds to relay what I told him earlier.

It became a very pleasant evening of Guinness, rugby and rude jokes. I’ll admit to feeling a little tipsy when I headed back to the hotel some many hours later.

The next morning my work colleagues come by to pick me up and I tell them which pub I went to. Turns out the pub is known locally as a stronghold for hard drinking nationalists. The general consensus was I was lucky to be alive, let alone uninjured."

What do the Irish think of the English? Englan11

Between the velvet lies, there's a truth that's hard as steel
The vision never dies, life's a never ending wheel
- R.J.Dio
Neon Knight
Neon Knight
The Castellan

Male Posts : 2357

https://castle-europa.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

What do the Irish think of the English? Empty Re: What do the Irish think of the English?

Post OsricPearl Fri 23 Nov - 0:23

Haha. That is funny. I guess he disarmed them with his frank manner and innocence.
"You mean he doesn't know he isn't supposed to be in here?"
OsricPearl
OsricPearl
A lady of the castle

Female Posts : 458

Back to top Go down

What do the Irish think of the English? Empty Re: What do the Irish think of the English?

Post Neon Knight Sun 17 Mar - 23:05

- R.J.Dio
Neon Knight
Neon Knight
The Castellan

Back to top Go down

Post Sary Tue 19 Mar - 22:24

It looks like the hope for a reunited Ireland has not died.  That is understandable to me.
Maybe England should stay out of Ireland, they are their own people.

America really has a weird fetish for Ireland, especially this time of the year.
Everyone wants to identify with them, because they are fun and tenacious party people!

I was feeling a little under the weather this past weekend ,watched a LOT of television and had traditional, hearty meal of corned beef and cabbage .... Yummy.

I saw this commercial for ancestry DNA and had a good chuckle.
Sary
Sary
A lady of the castle

Female Posts : 1068

Back to top Go down

Post Neon Knight Tue 19 Mar - 23:14

Sary wrote:It looks like the hope for a reunited Ireland has not died.  That is understandable to me.
Maybe England should stay out of Ireland, they are their own people.

America really has a weird fetish for Ireland, especially this time of the year.
Everyone wants to identify with them, because they are fun and tenacious party people!
I suppose a lot of Americans don't understand the complexities of the situation. Britain would give Northern Ireland a referendum on re-joining Ireland if there appeared to be enough support for it. But the south would have to agree to it too. The alternative would be for Britain to just withdraw and abandon the NI Protestants who identify as British. That would probably cause a small civil war, so we have to be careful. This was what the IRA (pro-unification) did to Manchester once:

The Sinn Fein party (in that Twitter link) are (or were) basically the IRA's political wing.

- R.J.Dio
Neon Knight
Neon Knight
The Castellan

Back to top Go down

Post Sary Sun 31 Mar - 23:55

^ That is horrible. I can remember the violence that use to go on in Northern Ireland.

But yes, It is difficult for me as an American to understand the mix of politics and religion and for that matter, how the monarchy fits in.
I am also surprised that so many European people still identify with a religious denomination. I wonder if most even belong to and attend church.

There is obviously still a lot of tension between Catholics and Protestants, even some 500 years after the reformation. Old Henry the 8 th and that scoundrel Luther, must be laughing their heads off, seeing the troubles that they started, so long ago Devil

It seems like the Brexit saga Is facilitating the road to a United Ireland.
Brexit and the fact that Ireland has become more liberal, doing away with the abortion ban. Shrug

Sary
Sary
A lady of the castle

Back to top Go down

Post Neon Knight Wed 3 Apr - 19:07

Sary wrote:It seems like the Brexit saga Is facilitating the road to a United Ireland.
Brexit and the fact that Ireland has become more liberal, doing away with the abortion ban.  Shrug

I reckon Ireland will be united in about 15 years. According to the latest poll I know about, 73% of the Republic of Ireland favour it, but you can see it's not a clear cut issue. I'm not sure Ireland is a Catholic country any more, since they also voted to legalise gay marriage.

British attitudes to Irish unification:

https://www.ipsos.com/ipsos-mori/en-uk/one-three-britons-would-mind-if-northern-ireland-voted-leave-uk-poll-finds

"Just over a third of the public in Great Britain hope Northern Ireland would vote to remain in the United Kingdom if given the choice . . . Half as many, one in six, would prefer a vote to leave, but the rest do not mind either way or have no opinion."

I'm in favour of NI leaving, because I feel it would mean Great Britain having a simpler and stronger identity.

- R.J.Dio
Neon Knight
Neon Knight
The Castellan

Back to top Go down

Post Iseult Thu 4 Apr - 0:59

Iseult

Female Posts : 21

Back to top Go down

Post Sary Tue 9 Apr - 1:06

Even though I am not Irish, it is very disheartening watching Ireland abandoning her Catholic identity. For so many centuries Ireland has been a defender of the Catholic faith, one of the last hold outs in a progressive and modern world.
Now with an openly homosexual PM and the changes in laws pertaining to gay marriage and abortion, it is safe to say that She is no longer a Catholic country.
It seems as though, the snakes have slithered back in ☹️

What do the Irish think of the English? Fp_fla13
Sary
Sary
A lady of the castle

Back to top Go down

Post Neon Knight Tue 9 Apr - 23:40

^ I've thought the same, Sary, and been surprised at the direction Ireland has taken. Even though I'm not conventionally religious, I appreciate the social conservatism of Catholicism. We cannot just throw away hundreds of years of tradition, assuming it has no value.

- R.J.Dio
Neon Knight
Neon Knight
The Castellan

Back to top Go down

Post Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top