Like/Tweet/+1
Latest topics
» Another way to see cities
by Aëlwenn Today at 17:40

» The Evacuation of Dunkirk in 1940
by Aëlwenn Today at 17:21

» A flag to represent European people?
by Neon Knight Today at 1:55

» Rate the above song /10 (2nd & 3rd opinions allowed)
by magyar_lány Today at 0:54

» Now listening to . . .
by Neon Knight Sat 21 Oct - 23:13

» Denmark has the world's oldest tattoo shop
by Neon Knight Sat 21 Oct - 0:02

» Guess five girls (same country)
by Sary Fri 20 Oct - 9:48

» Nobel Prize winners choose population growth as the main threat to humanity
by magyar_lány Thu 19 Oct - 0:18

» Women have more stamina than men
by Sary Mon 16 Oct - 23:09

» Racially aggravated crime - does it make sense?
by magyar_lány Sun 15 Oct - 22:00

» Air pollution kills over 500,000 Europeans a year
by Neon Knight Sat 14 Oct - 11:38

» Song Cover-Versions & Originals
by Neon Knight Fri 13 Oct - 1:04

» Austrian party suspends member over Nazi salute claim
by magyar_lány Tue 10 Oct - 23:47

» Cost of Islamic terrorism
by magyar_lány Tue 10 Oct - 18:45

» European Fertility Rates for 2015
by Sary Tue 10 Oct - 0:03

» Australian politician shocks Parliament by wearing a burqa
by Neon Knight Mon 9 Oct - 20:49

» M.E.T.A.L.
by Neon Knight Sun 8 Oct - 23:56

» Independence Movements in Russia
by Jehan I Sun 8 Oct - 8:28

» Trump says diplomacy with North Korea has failed
by Neon Knight Sat 7 Oct - 22:38

» Unity VS independance
by Jehan I Sun 1 Oct - 22:36

» Monty Python Scenes & Sketches
by Neon Knight Sat 30 Sep - 23:03

» AfD set to become third largest party in German parliament
by Neon Knight Sat 30 Sep - 18:21

» Catalonia faces 'brutal impoverishment' as an independent state
by Neon Knight Fri 29 Sep - 13:35

» German waiter breaks record for carrying beer steins
by Jehan I Fri 29 Sep - 12:04

» Martial arts reduces criminality in teens and children
by Neon Knight Thu 28 Sep - 1:12

» Viking warrior turns out to have been a woman!
by Jehan I Sat 23 Sep - 17:28

» What's on the Mind of a Muslim 'Refugee'?
by de Burgh Thu 21 Sep - 23:35

» Vandals in Vienna deface new monument to Polish King who broke Turkish siege
by Neon Knight Tue 19 Sep - 12:30

» Why is 'classification' so popular in anthro forums?
by Impasible Thu 14 Sep - 21:54

» Northern & Southern English Accents
by Sary Tue 12 Sep - 22:14

» British justice system 'discriminates against ethnic minorities'
by Neon Knight Sun 10 Sep - 23:37

» Wikipedia
by Neon Knight Wed 6 Sep - 22:07

» Planned Obsolescence
by Neon Knight Sat 2 Sep - 19:06

» What is your Celtic Astrology sign
by Impasible Fri 1 Sep - 1:23

» Cambridge Face Memory Test
by Sary Thu 31 Aug - 23:22

» Post a painting that reflects your inner personality
by de Burgh Wed 30 Aug - 23:46

» The truth about Qur'an
by Neon Knight Wed 30 Aug - 23:17

» Stormfront is dead?
by Neon Knight Wed 30 Aug - 22:57

» Guess a group of girls (same country)
by magyar_lány Wed 30 Aug - 22:33

» Hypocrisy of the "elite"
by de Burgh Wed 30 Aug - 22:21

» Personal debt in Britain getting out of control
by magyar_lány Mon 28 Aug - 23:06

» Favourite Quotes - Wit & Wisdom
by Neon Knight Sat 26 Aug - 23:05

» Anti-white graffiti in Birmingham
by OsricPearl Thu 24 Aug - 20:24

» Big war in Europe?
by magyar_lány Wed 23 Aug - 18:16

» Nationalist Protest in Barcelona, get attacked by Antifa Thugs.
by Impasible Wed 23 Aug - 0:05

» Giant statue of pharaoh unearthed in Egypt
by OsricPearl Tue 22 Aug - 2:13

» Where Germans migrate to (top 10)
by Neon Knight Sun 20 Aug - 9:45

» Charloteville's Chaos.
by Neon Knight Sun 20 Aug - 9:38

» Russia unveils hi-tech 'Star Wars' armour for soldiers
by de Burgh Sat 19 Aug - 16:02

» Ronnie James Dio Appreciation Thread
by Neon Knight Sat 19 Aug - 2:10

Catalonia faces 'brutal impoverishment' as an independent state

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Catalonia faces 'brutal impoverishment' as an independent state

Post Neon Knight on Tue 19 Sep - 12:44

https://www.thelocal.es/20170918/catalonia-will-face-brital-improverishment-as-an-independent-state-warns-spain

"Catalonia would suffer "brutal" impoverishment if it splits from Spain, with a deep plunge in its economic output, Spain's economy minister warned Monday ahead of a disputed independence referendum in the region.

"The general impoverishment of the society would be brutal. GDP could fall between 25 and 30 percent and unemployment double," Economy Minister Luis de Guindos said in an interview with radio Cope. An independent Catalonia would find itself outside of the eurozone so 75 percent of its products would be slapped with tarifs, banks would have to relocate, and the region would have to set up its own currency, he added. "The independence of Catalonia would be absolutely irrational from an economic point of view," the minister said.  

Catalonia, which accounts for a fifth of Spain's economy and is roughly the size of Belgium, is slated to hold an independence referendum on October 1st, which Madrid and Spanish courts have declared illegal. The referendum has not had an impact on the economy because financial markets do not think Catalan independence is a "minimally viable and acceptable scenario", the economy minister said.

Catalonia's pro-secession regional government argues that an independent Catalonia would be able to decide its own fiscal policy and investments, which would boost its GDP. It says Catalonia currently pays billions more in taxes to Madrid each year than it gets back in investments and services but this would end if the region split from Spain.

The Catalan government estimates it pays €16 billion ($19 billion) more to Madrid than it gets back, or about 8.0 percent of it the region's GDP. Spain's central government, which uses a different calculation, puts the figure at around 10 billion euros, or 5.0 percent of Catalonia's economic output.

Catalonia, home to around 7.5 million people, is tied with Madrid for the title of Spain's richest region. Its unemployment rate stood at 13.2 percent in the second quarter, lower than the 17.2 percent rate posted for all of Spain."

Also: https://www.thelocal.es/20170918/spanish-police-seize-pro-catalan-referendum-pamphlets

Spanish police on Sunday seized 1.3 million pamphlets and posters supporting Catalonia's independence referendum, the latest move to try to block the vote.

Catalonia's pro-separatist government is determined to hold a referendum on October 1st, despite it being banned by Spain's Constitutional Court.

The documents were seized at an advertising distribution company near Barcelona, the Spanish interior ministry said in a statement.

. . . Faced with a determined Catalan government, Spain has multiplied its efforts to crack down on the referendum, having previously seized propaganda material and threatened to arrest Catalan mayors who allow the vote.

. . . Catalan society is deeply divided on the subject of independence. A poll commissioned by the regional government in July showed 49.4 percent of Catalans were against independence while 41.1 percent were in favour.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Between the velvet lies, there's a truth that's hard as steel
The vision never dies, life's a never ending wheel
- R.J.Dio
Neon Knight
The Castellan

Male Posts : 407

http://castle-europa.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Catalonia faces 'brutal impoverishment' as an independent state

Post Impasible on Thu 21 Sep - 13:23

On the other hand catalan secessionists say catalonia independent would be like the Denmark of the mediterranean... Jester

Interested and deceitful declarations all around.

I think catalan secessionists don't want a referendum that if it was serious and agreed with spanish goverment they would lose according all surveys about the matter, including their own surveys.

What they want is to put spanish govern and legal system to the limit to get an agressive and disproportionate response from Madrid so they could play the victim role again to get elctoral gains and discredit of spanish democracy.

Catalan nationalists have good reasons to feel abused by Madrid, back in 2006 a new authonomy statute for Catalonia was refused thanks to dirty manoeuvres of PP party, and now nationalists are playing very dirty games too.

We have no remedy. Thumb Down
Impasible
Un caballero del castillo

Male Posts : 60

Back to top Go down

Post Neon Knight on Fri 22 Sep - 2:03

I had been thinking - the Spanish government might as well give Catalonia an official referendum - the result would probably be 'No' and denying it a referendum will probably increase separatist feeling in the long run. But I suppose the Prime Minister does not want to risk going down in history as the man who allowed Spain to break up.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- R.J.Dio
Neon Knight
The Castellan

Back to top Go down

Post Jehan I on Sat 23 Sep - 8:52

Isn't any EU law of minority protection who might force Spain to give a referendum on it?
Jehan I
Un chevalier du château

Male Posts : 102

Back to top Go down

Post Impasible on Sun 24 Sep - 15:10

Neon Knight wrote:I had been thinking - the Spanish government might as well give Catalonia an official referendum - the result would probably be 'No' and denying it a referendum will probably increase separatist feeling in the long run. But I suppose the Prime Minister does not want to risk going down in history as the man who allowed Spain to break up.

Probably the best solution, but also a dangerous precedent. Once opened the 'self-determination box' we would have someone demanding for his own referendum of self-determination almost every week.

Even Castille has her independist party...
Impasible

Back to top Go down

Post Impasible on Sun 24 Sep - 15:13

Jehan I wrote:Isn't any EU law of minority protection who might force Spain to give a referendum on it?

au contraire, most states have articles in their constitutions forbiding the division of the state, including Germany and France I think.
Impasible

Back to top Go down

Post Jehan I on Sun 24 Sep - 17:52

Impasible wrote:
Jehan I wrote:Isn't any EU law of minority protection who might force Spain to give a referendum on it?

au contraire, most states have articles in their constitutions forbiding the division of the state, including Germany and France I think.

Indeed France has in the constituion an article like that. But there is also a possibility for a territory to become independant. I don't really know all the details about the laws but some islands (New caledonia) will have a referendum about secession soon.

Anyway I was thinking about european union law, not at a national level. I ignore the details but there are some laws about minority protection, so I wonder If they have anticipate a secession referendum in EU laws; if there are conditions.
Jehan I
Un chevalier du château

Male Posts : 102

Back to top Go down

Post Neon Knight on Mon 25 Sep - 13:20

Impasible wrote:
Neon Knight wrote:I had been thinking - the Spanish government might as well give Catalonia an official referendum - the result would probably be 'No' and denying it a referendum will probably increase separatist feeling in the long run. But I suppose the Prime Minister does not want to risk going down in history as the man who allowed Spain to break up.

Probably the best solution, but also a dangerous precedent. Once opened the 'self-determination box' we would have someone demanding for his own referendum of self-determination almost every week.

Even Castille has her independist party...

So it's not like the UK then, where only Scotland makes a serious demand for independence. I noticed that Spain is the only western European nation that does not recognise the independence of Kosovo and read that the reason is to be consistent with its own policy of resisting national break-up.

- R.J.Dio
Neon Knight
The Castellan

Back to top Go down

Post Impasible on Tue 26 Sep - 0:49

Neon Knight wrote:

So it's not like the UK then, where only Scotland makes a serious demand for independence. I noticed that Spain is the only western European nation that does not recognise the independence of Kosovo and read that the reason is to be consistent with its own policy of resisting national break-up.

Regions in Spain with independentist political forces.

https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regionalismo_y_nacionalismo_en_Espa%C3%B1a
there are versions in english and french.
Impasible

Back to top Go down

Post Neon Knight on Fri 29 Sep - 13:35

Jehan I wrote:Anyway I was thinking about european union law, not at a national level. I ignore the details but there are some laws about minority protection, so I wonder If they have anticipate a secession referendum in EU laws; if there are conditions.
I would have the following rules:

* Any official region of a nation can have an independence referendum.
* The minimum voting age will be 21.
* For independence to happen, the result must be a 'Yes' of at least 55%.
* If the result is 'No' then another referendum cannot be held for 15 years.

- R.J.Dio
Neon Knight
The Castellan

Back to top Go down

Post Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down